What Do You Do to Get Out of a Slump?

You have to play through it. I just got out of slump of sorts and excepted I was playing poorly. There is not fix or drill. You either play through it and it will click again or walk away for an undetermined amount of time.

this is what i had to do the last time i had a bad slump walked away for a few weeks. started all over from my early season shape up when i came back worked on the basics all over again helped me a lot.

I don't think your alone on this. I'm going through the same thing right now. Last night I had a great range session and look forward to the the next round. I'm not getting my expectation up but I'm determined to get through it. This what I have done.
  1. Went back to Golftec for a refresher. You don't need to by packages. They'll do single visits.
  2. Focused on the basics. i.e. address position, grip, fluid takeaway (triangle), hip rotation, weight shift, and follow through.
  3. Most importantly working on my patience and acceptance of my abilities.

It's a slump work through it. You have the talent and it will come back.

I suggest playing the front tee's and using only irons.

1:) are you enjoying the game?
2:) are you enjoying the group you are playing with?
3:) are you enjoying the course your playing on?

IMHO those are the three biggest factors that trigger issues...My game goes to crap if I am not playing with a group I enjoy being with...which can cause me to not enjoy the game anymore...

I usually do one or more of the following things when I hit a rough patch in my game:

1) Quit playing full courses for a week or two. Play at par 3's or executives and just build your confidence.
2) Take range/practice green trips instead of rounds to work things out.
3) Play in a scramble or something similar, just to get the fun factor back.
4) If after a while it doesn't improve, see your pro. He'll probably have you sorted out a lot faster than you even thought possible - I know when I had the sh***s with my wedges last year, a lesson is all it took to fix it!

I went through the exact same thing TM until the last week or so! High right, weak shots - just killing me. Sometimes it's something you really don't think about - I'll explain.
When I got frustrated by this weak swing, I saw a pro I see once in a whiile. As he was checking out my swing ( clubface wide open at the top, which I knew ) he grabbed my arm to move the club into a position. As soon as he did that, he said, "Holy crap, there is your problem." It turns out, All the working out I had done over the winter ( weights, bands, med balls, etc ) had tightened up all the muscles in my forearms to such a degree as to inhibit the release of the club! Since then, I still work out, but now I really stretch the forearm muscles, and I have a massage ball I use before and after every workout on that area and before every round of golf. I also try to avoid lifting a few days before a round. Had my best 3 rounds of driving the golf ball all year this weekend, 2 rounds of which were at the AC outing. The other thing the pro noticed was that my grip had gotten a hair weak, and the ball had crept up in my stance! All this going on, no wonder I was driving the ball like crap!
Guess what it boils down to is re-check the basics, and examine if you have done anything differently since before when you were driving the ball well... and get a lesson from a good pro.

I completely stop reading tips and watching youtube videos. When I slump, I'm usually way over-thinking things. I tend to take a step back, and do some range/practice work before teeing it up for real.

1. Go watch Tin Cup.
2. Fast forward to the scene where Roy is on the practice tee.
3. Listen to Cheech's words of advice, "take this little whit ball and hit it the hell up the fairway!"

When all else fails just remember that it's just a ball and "stick"; then go hit the ball.

I like to take a week off (or a week off full swings to focus on short game). Then I'll head to the range and just hit a ton of short irons really focusing on my fundamentals, nice tempo, good shoulder turn and solid contact.

Taking the time off allows me to clear my head and get back to the fun part of golf. To me grinding helps nothing and just perpetuates my slump. Golf has its ups and downs, if you approach them both correctly you will appreciate the highs and better handle the lows.

Smile and be thankful your out playing golf

I take a lesson if I'm hitting a wall with my game.

I will always just choke down, take extra club, and just swing easy. Focus solely on making good contact and not be concerned about distance. My bad habits creep in when I start over swinging so I just go back to step one and build back up.

Slump, I don't know...all the previous suggestions are sound. Where I am is more than a slump, it is more like a collapse. One year ago I was playing the best golf of my life with several rounds below par and a GHIN of 3.2. It slowly started going bad then accelerated during the winter. I had just lost any rhythm or feel and wasn't able to strike the ball very well at all. I probably did all the things listed here and finally realized I had a couple of little things to straighten out in the swing but mostly the problems are physical. I finally have a prescription that has me feeling like my old self again and guess what? The golf game is showing signs of coming around. There are still some big scores but ball striking and timing is getting better all the time. So maybe some of these slumps could be physical and not specifically golf-related.

forget it and move onto the next shot. at the end of the day, it's just golf.

but, if you're in a major slump with one club in particular or just your game overall, stop playing and hit the range. it's never a good idea to try to fix your swing during a round...unless you're just out having fun, then by all means, hit 3 or 4 balls per shot. that's the best type of practice.

When I am in a slump I take at a minimum a few days off and don't think about golf at all (its hard but it helps) then spend a day or too at the range.

Sometimes it just helps to take some time off. If you've been playing a lot take a week off. Sometimes you just have to clear your head.

This is what I have learned. I started this year strong and had some bad rounds and not so successful ranges. Got frustrated and game slipped away from me. I then told myself lets go do something else for the week and not worry about golf. It helps keep head clear and feels like i restarted my brain. Always going back to the basics helps restart it too. Good luck man!

Nope, just take a few days off and try not to think about golf. The go back out fresh and with a clear mind.

~Rock

I think you have to figure out what kind of slump you are in. Is it a swing slump or a mental slump? Each one of those I think requires a different approach. If it's a swing slump, I think you just need to play through it. If it's a mental slump, then taking some time away from golf is probably the way to go.

Back