7 wood or 4 hybrid

nicedivot

strangers in Paradise
Reaction score
Handicap
5 - 10
OK, here is my dilemma

I want to replace my 4 hybrid (Adams a7 22 degree) not because it is not working, in fact it is working quite well. but it sticks out like a soar thumb in my bag...
I can replace it with either Cleveland launcher DST 4 hybrid or Cleveland CG black 7 wood.
what is your recommendation in terms of feel, sound, etc.. *yeah I am going to hit both

DST would seem to match your bag set-up better. In my limited experience with the Cleveland Black fairway wood line it seems to respond better to a smooth swing with a smooth transition and has a rather light (weight) shaft. I haven't hit the 7-wood but the Black 3 and 5 wood seemed to be very nice fairway woods, but honestly I only hit them a few times each and I think I would be concerned about the high ball flight. I think for me the Mashie 7-wood is a better match and I have hit it more often as I have one, I may be a little biased about anything Mashie though.

OK, here is my dilemma

I want to replace my 4 hybrid (Adams a7 22 degree) not because it is not working, in fact it is working quite well. but it sticks out like a soar thumb in my bag...
I can replace it with either Cleveland launcher DST 4 hybrid or Cleveland CG black 7 wood.
what is your recommendation in terms of feel, sound, etc.. *yeah I am going to hit both

I think it largely depends on whether you prefer fairway metals or iron-type/size clubs. Both heads will be small-ish but the 7-wood will be larger. The 7-wood will likely be a touch longer (shaft) and a little less workable. So in short, you need to assess your needs/preferences and that should narrow your choice...

Have you thought about the Cleveland Classic hybrid?

Based on everything you've said, if I were you, I'd stick a headcover that matches the top of your bag on the Adams hybrid and forget about it. I never like to take a club out of the bag while it's working well. Feels like bad juju to me.

If you're opposed to that, I'd go with whatever you feel most comfortable over when you hit it and fills the necessary gap in your yardages.

OK, here is my dilemma

I vote 7 wood but I love 7 woods so Im biased. The idea of just putting a headcover you like on your Adams hybrid is probably the best one.

I would go with a 7 wood due to the added versatility of the club.
Contrary to a previous entry it is much easier to work a fairway wood than a hybrid and a lot easier to control.
It also depends where you play.
If you play in very windy areas then go with the hybrid, if you don't get too much wind then take the 7 wood.

Hybo. Easier to hit..

Hybrid all the way simply because a hybrid is a much more versatile club that you can hit out of any lie.

Based on everything you've said, if I were you, I'd stick a headcover that matches the top of your bag on the Adams hybrid and forget about it. I never like to take a club out of the bag while it's working well. Feels like bad juju to me.

If you're opposed to that, I'd go with whatever you feel most comfortable over when you hit it and fills the necessary gap in your yardages.
hhhmm this never even came to my mind.... interesting... definitely cheaper this way for sure... I wonder if I can sand down the sole to get rid of Adams logo ???

I love having a 21* hybrid. Very versatile for me

Agreed. If you have something that's working quite well, I'd ride it until it stops working.

If you play in very windy areas then go with the hybrid....

I tend to agree with this statement. Sometimes the lower ball flight of a hybrid is better.

I think they're about the same with respect to which is easier to hit. The FW will have a larger head and possibly more loft than the hybrid, but the hybrid will have a shorter shaft (which is typically easier).

You really need to think about your use cases and pick from there. If it is just putting a ball onto the green on a long par three or trying to advance a shot on the fairway to a spot, then it is hard to beat the 7W. If you want any sort of roll out or are trying to use this to punch out, hit out of the sand, in the rough, etc., then I think the hybrid is better.

I vote 7 wood but I love 7 woods so Im biased. The idea of just putting a head cover you like on your Adams hybrid is probably the best one.

This, but I am a huge fan of hybrids, I jump for joy when I get to use mine, they swing so smooth and sound so sweet when you hit it just right. Plus you can save yourself some money with just getting a head cover. Especially since you said you hit it great already!

But if its going to bug you that much, go hit them both and take what feels right and go with it.

First off, if the Adams is hot for you don't mess with it... Grab a different headcover and call it a day. That said...

As someone who rotates between a 24˚ 4H and a 20.5˚ 7W, I'd say go with what you like. Just looking at your WITB, it looks like the hybrid would fit better. I do love me some 7 wood though. If you have the ability check out the Mashie F7. Cheap, easy to hit and the more versatile for me than most FWs. Just my 2¢.

well, I placed a bid on eBay for the matching (to the rest of my cleveland clubs) hybrid headcover. For now, I took head cover idea.
thank you all for your input

Back