Club Champion Fitting- Boston

Sully

Reaction score
Handicap
Hey guys just wanted to get a thread going before tomorrow. Club Champion is offering 50% off til Father's Day at their new location in Boston, so I figured id take them up on it.

I have a putter fitting (SAM) scheduled tomorrow at the brand new Needham location. I'm pretty excited, as I've never been fit for a putter. I'm sure I'll learn multiples things (probably bad) about my stroke.

Matt has been very helpful from CC and booked me for an hour long putter fitting. I also told him depending on how it goes, I may want to just do the whole bag, I haven't decided yet. I mean only 175$ with the discount is hard to pass up. So he is blocking off two hours for me after my putter fitting and leavin his schedule open for me if I decide to stay.

I'll be sure write up something after tomorrow and take pics for everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

175 for a full fitting is a great deal. Looking forward to your writeup about it.

Very cool, can't wait to hear how it goes.

I'll be following along, Arydolphin posted some nice pics the other day.

I'll be very interested to hear your thoughts on this process. $175 for a full bag fitting would be something I could be talked into....

That's a great deal. Definitely interested in your thoughts on the putter fitting, and the full experience as well.

Have lots of fun, get plenty of rest. I did a full bag earlier in the year and it has paid it's dividends.

So how was the fitting?

How was it my man? looking for a reason to head out that way!

I've been pretty busy since the fitting with Mother's Day and trying to squeeze in some rounds.

The fitting was absolutely phenomenal. I met with Ted at the Needham location and every aspect of it was top notch. I original went in for a putter fitting on the SAM putt lab, but brought my whole bag just in case. Well it didn't take too much convincing once I walked into this glorious room.
semuna3u.jpg
semyze4a.jpg

(Sorry for the bad quality pics, I can't seem too upload good pics through tapatalk)

Anyways I started out on the SAM getting some baseline numbers with my current putter (white hot pro #7). I have never had my stroke analyzed before and it was very interesting. I hit 3 out of the 7 putts. The results showed my current putter was working against my stroke. Apparently I was fighting the faced balanced putter on my backswing, since it has no toe hang allowing the clubface to open. I think my consistency was around 78% which isn't great but not awful.
3esaze2e.jpg
tu3ede2u.jpg

So the results showed I should be using a mallet putter with about 60* of toe hang which is a lot and no offset. I do like some offset so we started off with a scotty golo 3, and loved it. Next up was a bettanardi bb1 which wasn't bad either. I tried a tour exotics but I can't remember the exact model. I wanted to try a scotty newport 2.5 but they didn't have one. I ended up going back to the golo 3 and needless to say I might be ordering one soon.

So after the putter we got set up on trackman and I warmed up with my current irons, Apex with C-Taper reg hard stepped once. Now I bought these clubs used so I wasn't sure the shafts were the right fit for me, but I knew I was sticking with the apex head. This made the fitting much easier. Once I was warmed up I took about 5 shots with my 6 irons and then we moved onto different shafts. The shaft options they have are literally endless. I think I tried about 10 different shafts in the apex head and the PXI 5.5 gave me the best results and numbers. I do not have the numbers currently, but Ted is emailing me the trackman numbers today. Now here is where this place seperates them from everyone else..... After about 100 swings I was pretty tired and looked at Ted and said well I really liked the pxi but it looks like I'm getting similar numbers with my current c tapers, would it be beneficial to spend the money on re shafting? He said well that's really up to you but your current shafts are giving you great numbers as well. No pressure into buying new equipment whatsoever and complete honesty.

So I have some thinking to do, because I still don't know if it is even worth me ordering a set of pxi shafts. I will post my numbers when I get them.

Next up was the big stick and at this point I was dead, and I haven't been swinging the driver well at all lately. I currently game a 913 D2 with the whiteboard 72 shaft and we both agreed it was a little too stout for me as I don't really get after it and load the shaft. Tried about 10 different shafts for the driver as well and I really just could not put a good swing on it. It was very annoying, but what can ya do. The fujikura fuel shaft was the winner even though I was getting very steep and hitting multiple pop ups.

He asked about wedges but my gaps were great and he liked my current set up of 54 and 60 vokeys. I have steep swing and he liked the bounces as well on my wedges. So that was done.

After that we called it a day as we were coming up on hour 3 and I was completely beat. I sat on the couch as he printed out all the data and Sam lab stats. We reviewed everything together and I can't stress how helpful and honest Ted was. I definaty have some thinking to do but all in all it was a fantastic fitting! I recommend this place to anyone in the Boston area looking for a fitting.

I will throw up my trackman data once he emails it to me but let me know if you guys have any other questions. Sorry for the crappy writing, I'm tapin away on my phone and I'm sure there are multiple errors in here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like this was a lot of fun. That's for the recap!

Nice recap. I'm going to look into this place to get fit later this summer.

Typos courtesy of Tapatalk, enjoy!

So I said I would post some of the data and better late than never. These numbers are the averages with my 6 iron Apex head. Let me know what you think and you think its worth me re-shafting to the pxi 5.5!

Order of Numbers (sttelfiber 110r, pxi 5.5, c-taper r)

Carry: 164.9, 165.8, 166.4
Total: 176.0, 178.5, 174.5
Attack Angle: -1.5, -1.4, -0.2
Club Speed: 81.7, 81.7, 83.2
Ball Speed: 114.5, 114.9, 116.7
Smash: 1.40, 1.41, 1.40
Launch Angle: 17.3, 16.7, 19.5
Spin: 4856, 4625, 5348
Side: 21 R, 17 R, 30 R
Club Path: 4.7, 2.9, 4.8 (+ = inside out)
Face Angle: 3.2, 2.3, 4.0 (+ = open face)

Back