That's damn impressive. 25mph for 2 hours is tough work. I've done a century in 5:05 but I'm sure I could only muster about 46-47 miles in 2 hours.

I have a pretty good "track" to do it on. We have a large rowing lake/complex down here, and one lap is right at 3.65 miles. So there is never a consistent headwind to slow you too much. Just my final stretch today was straight in to the wind, and my legs didn't have it in them to go any faster.

I have a pretty good "track" to do it on. We have a large rowing lake/complex down here, and one lap is right at 3.65 miles. So there is never a consistent headwind to slow you too much. Just my final stretch today was straight in to the wind, and my legs didn't have it in them to go any faster.

We have a great bike trail along the American River here that is mostly flat for a 25 mile section that is good for some fast times but part of what is holds me back, I hate to say, is I'm 50 in a couple days. I'm fast for my age, but not fast.:act-up: At least in skiing and golf I can hang with the 25 year olds.

Bike-and-Walking-Trails.jpg

Sorry to jump this thread but I have to say, Beags looks good. He took lots of weight off and keeps it off through cycling. Ponder

Sorry to jump this thread but I have to say, Beags looks good. He took lots of weight off and keeps it off through cycling. Ponder

I didn't start cycling until I was 44 and I have to say it is by far the best way for me to keep my weight down. I love food and beer and cycling is the only high calorie burn activity that I have been able to stick with. I burn about 950 calories an hour on my bike and it's actually enjoyable for me to go out for 1-2 hours. When life gets super busy I can bust out a fast 30-40 minute ride a couple days a week to maintain my fitness. I feel better and am fitter now than when I was 30.

Well gentlemen and ladies, I purchased a bike last weekend. I picked up a Schwinn GTX-3. I also signed up for the Pelotonia bike ride. Anyone interested in more information checkout their website http://www.pelotonia.org and my personal page is http://www.pelotonia.org/tonyriffe

We got out a couple days ago for a little bit. I have to say, riding a bike was easier when I was younger. I will definitely need some padded shorts before I try and conquer too many miles.

How do u guys ride those little seats. Ive always been interested in cycling but my butt and man parts just hurt thinking about those seats.

How do u guys ride those little seats. Ive always been interested in cycling but my butt and man parts just hurt thinking about those seats.
It's all about the proper Saddle and proper fit. If you have a proper fit done for a bike, and have the correct seat, you are just sitting on your sit points and not even noticing the saddle.

It's all about the proper Saddle and proper fit. If you have a proper fit done for a bike, and have the correct seat, you are just sitting on your sit points and not even noticing the saddle.
So its alot like golf? Ive never heard of a bike fitting. This intrigues me

So its alot like golf? Ive never heard of a bike fitting. This intrigues me
Gotta make sure the bike fits. What works for some, doesn't work for others.

I would think having a bike that fits is even more important Than it is in golf.

I would think having a bike that fits is even more important Than it is in golf.
For so many clinical and anatomical reasons, it is.

Being on an improperly fit bike can cause a lot of physical issues.

Gotta make sure the bike fits. What works for some, doesn't work for others.
Really mind blown here. I live in a shore town and all bike purchases are going to the bike shop and buying a beach cruiser. Never even heard of a bike fitting with seat points

For so many clinical and anatomical reasons, it is.

Being on an improperly fit bike can cause a lot of physical issues.
Thats true, but it's also hard as hell to pedal.

Bicycles

Bicycles

I'm in the market to buy a new bicycle as a way to help combat the audit body (aka: freshman 15, but an annual occurrence) but really have no idea where to start.
I think the majority of my time will be spent on paths/roads but of course there might be a small amount of dirt in between paths). I don't plan on plummeting down a mountain side, nor do I really plan on pulling on a load of spandex and racing cars down the highway so I don't think I am really in the market in dual suspension mountain bikes or full carbon road bikes.

I think I would like hydraulic disc brakes, front suspension w/hydraulic lock out as must-haves, and I would like to keep it beneath $1k.

Based on some preliminary browsing I have discovered the Trek 8.3/8.4 series, the Specialized Crosstrail Disc/Crosstrail Sport Disc and the Norco XFR3. However, a couple of my friends advocate getting a mountain bike and fitting 29" wheels w/ semi-slick tires on it so it is still fast and I am not limited if I decide to go to the mountains.

Does anyone have any advice/recommendations on these kinds of bikes? I plan on going to bike stores to see what is comfortable and what is not, but I figured as part of my preliminary research I would reach out to the treasure trove of knowledge that is THP.

talk to War Eagle. You will be in good hands for sure.

Give War Eagle a shout, nobody better to give you advice on here

Edit: ddec beat me to it

I'm in the market to buy a new bicycle as a way to help combat the audit body (aka: freshman 15, but an annual occurrence) but really have no idea where to start.
I think the majority of my time will be spent on paths/roads but of course there might be a small amount of dirt in between paths). I don't plan on plummeting down a mountain side, nor do I really plan on pulling on a load of spandex and racing cars down the highway so I don't think I am really in the market in dual suspension mountain bikes or full carbon road bikes.

I think I would like hydraulic disc brakes, front suspension w/hydraulic lock out as must-haves, and I would like to keep it beneath $1k.

Based on some preliminary browsing I have discovered the Trek 8.3/8.4 series, the Specialized Crosstrail Disc/Crosstrail Sport Disc and the Norco XFR3. However, a couple of my friends advocate getting a mountain bike and fitting 29" wheels w/ semi-slick tires on it so it is still fast and I am not limited if I decide to go to the mountains.

Does anyone have any advice/recommendations on these kinds of bikes? I plan on going to bike stores to see what is comfortable and what is not, but I figured as part of my preliminary research I would reach out to the treasure trove of knowledge that is THP.

I merged this with the cycling thread. If Mr War Eagle doesnt see this (I think he will) shoot him a PM. He owns a few bike shops and is very knowledgeable.

I merged this with the cycling thread. If Mr War Eagle doesnt see this (I think he will) shoot him a PM. He owns a few bike shops and is very knowledgeable.

Thanks, I was doing some searches and "cycling" was one keyword that didn't come to mind to search!

Hey buddy, I am happy to help you with your search.

I have a few shops down here in Florida, and sell Cannondale and Specialized. Your search leading you to the Crosstrail is a good one, as it's the ultimate 50/50 bike. Meaning 50% road, 50% off road. Depending on the specs you want, there are models that can certainly meet your needs. Our most popular Crosstrail model is the Crosstrail Comp Disc. Spec'd with Shimano Hydraulic front/rear disc breaks, Shimano SLX 10-speed components, and one of the nicer features of the integrated remote hydraulic lockout for the front fork.

Im happy to answer any questions you might have.

Thanks War Eagle!

I'm afraid I don't know anything about bike components so could you maybe provide some points I should consider as a baseline for component specs?
The Crosstrail Comp Disc is around $1,300 up here which is a bit out of my price range. I can get a Sport Disc for $850 and an Elite Disc for $999 ($1k is kind of my hard limit). Do the component upgrades really warrant the extra cost in the long run - as in, would it really be worth my time to spend my absolute max or as a new rider, is this something that I wouldn't really be able to notice.

Hey buddy, I am happy to help you with your search.

I have a few shops down here in Florida, and sell Cannondale and Specialized. Your search leading you to the Crosstrail is a good one, as it's the ultimate 50/50 bike. Meaning 50% road, 50% off road. Depending on the specs you want, there are models that can certainly meet your needs. Our most popular Crosstrail model is the Crosstrail Comp Disc. Spec'd with Shimano Hydraulic front/rear disc breaks, Shimano SLX 10-speed components, and one of the nicer features of the integrated remote hydraulic lockout for the front fork.

Im happy to answer any questions you might have.

Thanks War Eagle!

I'm afraid I don't know anything about bike components so could you maybe provide some points I should consider as a baseline for component specs?
The Crosstrail Comp Disc is around $1,300 up here which is a bit out of my price range. I can get a Sport Disc for $850 and an Elite Disc for $999 ($1k is kind of my hard limit). Do the component upgrades really warrant the extra cost in the long run - as in, would it really be worth my time to spend my absolute max or as a new rider, is this something that I wouldn't really be able to notice.

The Elite disc is quite the upgrade from the Sport Disc.

The hydraulic disc brakes on the Elite are significantly better than the Sport disc, basically the Elite Disc has Shimano brakes bs the Sport Disc with crappy Tektro brakes. You dont want Tektro brakes, not worth it in the long run.

Elite is going to have Shimano Deore 10-speed vs the Alivio 9-speed of the Sport. For the money, the Deore 10-speed is worth the upgrade.

The big thing I was looking for in the one I mentioned was the remote lockout for the front fork that is mounted on the handlebar. Its quite nice to have a rapid fire shifter for the front fork to look it out on the fly.

Got me looking at bikes again. I wish they weren't so darn expensive. Need to sell some stuff (maybe a kidney haha) if I want to get something decent.

Got me looking at bikes again. I wish they weren't so darn expensive. Need to sell some stuff (maybe a kidney haha) if I want to get something decent.

Nah dude, for what you need to get going you can find something reasonable.

I'll be hitting you up for some advice again Ryan. We are finally getting around to looking for bikes now that we could actually ride them.

Ahh perfect, that kind of component information is exactly what I need!

Is the Crosstrail Elite Disc just a better bike than others in the category like the Trek 8.4DS/8.5DS, Norco XFR2 and Giant Roam 0?

Now to throw a wrench in the gears, what is your opinion on getting something like a Trek X-Caliber w/ 29s on it and re-tiring it with more road-oriented tires? Some of my friends are firm believers in 29'ers for road and trail and they say this way I could go to the mountains if I desired, rather than be limited by something in the realm of the Crosstrail.

The Elite disc is quite the upgrade from the Sport Disc.

The hydraulic disc brakes on the Elite are significantly better than the Sport disc, basically the Elite Disc has Shimano brakes bs the Sport Disc with crappy Tektro brakes. You dont want Tektro brakes, not worth it in the long run.

Elite is going to have Shimano Deore 10-speed vs the Alivio 9-speed of the Sport. For the money, the Deore 10-speed is worth the upgrade.

The big thing I was looking for in the one I mentioned was the remote lockout for the front fork that is mounted on the handlebar. Its quite nice to have a rapid fire shifter for the front fork to look it out on the fly.

Back