Having a go to Shot - Need Help

adamw238

Reaction score
Handicap
So I've been struggling with finding a go to or "natural" shot on the course. My instructor has been working on turning me into a draw player, but I find it difficult to control when I get tired. Everything turns into a push or a pull...the dreaded two way miss. I've never taken the game seriously enough to have a "go to" shot. It's more or less just point and pray.

This weekend when I was playing, I started going to a fade on the last day because my body didn't have enough in it to get synced for a draw, but I felt like I was going against all my instructor has been teaching me. Ideally, I'd like to take the left side of the course out of play and go to a power fade/cut.

My question is, what's the best way about developing a "go to" shot? My game is in a massive transition right now and this is something that I lack. Something that I can count on when I'm tired. The fade I played Tuesday was of the open your stance and keep the club face pointed at your target variety.

Thanks in advance.

Good question, I've often wondered this to. I just hit the ball some fade, some draw.

Good thread, I don't have any advice but I am all ears.

I would try to create a pressure situation on yourself.... Maybe a game with friends or a tournament and see if you can get a feel for what shot is the easiest. You want a go to shot to be something you can lean on when the pressure is turned on. If you discover something is very easy to consistently hit then that is what I would work towards

Proud Member of #TeamParadise

Good question, I've often wondered this to. I just hit the ball some fade, some draw.

That's exactly what happens with me.

I would try to create a pressure situation on yourself.... Maybe a game with friends or a tournament and see if you can get a feel for what shot is the easiest. You want a go to shot to be something you can lean on when the pressure is turned on. If you discover something is very easy to consistently hit then that is what I would work towards

Proud Member of #TeamParadise

I like that idea flog. As ruthless as my friends and I are about hitting good shots, I don't need to go to far to find pressure :act-up:

We're getting out of work early today, so I'm going to hit the range and then the course.

This is simplistic, but here goes: what type of ballflight do you like to see? For me, it's a draw because I've always found it easier to hit a draw than a fade. That's my go-to shot, and I know the things to do to accentuate a draw: ball a little back in stance, attack the ball a little more from the inside. It's harder for me to hit a fade, so there's no point in trying to make that my go-to shot.

Before your revamp of your swing, what was your typical shot and miss?

Your instructor should be working with you natural tendency. If that is a draw, so be it. If it's a fade then I would ask him to hone that and just add the draw when you need it. I have always felt if you have a solid move into the ball you can play what ever shot you want by holding or releasing the hands. Face adjustment can also have an affect on the shot your desire.

I would make what ever feels comfortable your go to shot and learn to play the other one.

Before your revamp of your swing, what was your typical shot and miss?

Your instructor should be working with you natural tendency. If that is a draw, so be it. If it's a fade then I would ask him to hone that and just add the draw when you need it. I have always felt if you have a solid move into the ball you can play what ever shot you want by holding or releasing the hands. Face adjustment can also have an affect on the shot your desire.

I would make what ever feels comfortable your go to shot and learn to play the other one.

Thanks Freddie.

My previous tendency was always a fade, but it was a weak one as a result of casting.

I would prefer to play a fade as I feel its an easier shot for me to control. I feel with a draw that there are too many things that can go wrong as I haven't gained full control of the shot. The problem is, when my swing is on I can hit whatever shot I want. But, when it's off or I'm tired I can't rely on it.

Tapping away on my Galaxy 2 Note

Thanks Freddie.

My previous tendency was always a fade, but it was a weak one as a result of casting.

I would prefer to play a fade as I feel its an easier shot for me to control. I feel with a draw that there are too many things that can go wrong as I haven't gained full control of the shot. The problem is, when my swing is on I can hit whatever shot I want. But, when it's off or I'm tired I can't rely on it.

Tapping away on my Galaxy 2 Note

My suggestion is learn to a draw but do not make it your everyday shot. I agree with you that fades are easy to control but once you are comfy with draw, you'll control that.

But I would research a good energy bar that you can eat per nine while we are in MB. If losing energy is messing with your swing, then having enough energy will be key.

Everyone has a swing tendency, a way you naturally hit the ball. This is your go to shot it will be your tendency when you get tired. But what you have to look out for is the miss. You have to know your tendencies when you tired and control them. Easier said then done but the easiest way is to club up and swing. This will provide you with the lost distance from being tired and minimize your misses.

This is the truth .. I bought callway razor irons last year .. Play pro v 1 golf balls .. I hit those irons straight .. If it is right , it is straight right or straight or straight left. Weird , no spin on them .. Exactly the same with new exotics driver , except if I really hit it well it has just a slight draw. Today's equipment and ball puts very little side spin on the shots . Might be my opinion , but now I just aim for my target and swing . And I swing hard not girlish

This is the truth .. I bought callway razor irons last year .. Play pro v 1 golf balls .. I hit those irons straight .. If it is right , it is straight right or straight or straight left. Weird , no spin on them .. Exactly the same with new exotics driver , except if I really hit it well it has just a slight draw. Today's equipment and ball puts very little side spin on the shots . Might be my opinion , but now I just aim for my target and swing . And I swing hard not girlish
Please forgive my early Sunday morning ignorance but what does this have to do with having a go to shot?

And agree with tadashi about energy bar .. When I get tired or lose focus I get the rights. .. Slight right of the green or fairway . All about the swing motion , and not completing your swing. But 5 or 6 hour rounds will make any fatigued and lose focus .. Imo

Please forgive my early Sunday morning ignorance but what does this have to do with having a go to shot?

Just seems like today's equipment go to shot is straight .. I think it is modern equipment .. Eliminates the go to shot .

Just seems like today's equipment go to shot is straight .. I think it is modern equipment .. Eliminates the go to shot .
Straight is the hardest shot in the book. I watched countless golfers just yesterday hit every way but straight with bags full of the best equipment. Non repeatable swings, bad mechanics make it hard to have a go to shot.

Straight is the hardest shot in the book. I watched countless golfers just yesterday hit every way but straight with bags full of the best equipment. Non repeatable swings, bad mechanics make it hard to have a go to shot.

And I think this is where it all started for me. I've never had a repeatable and solid swing until this year.

I plan on going to Sam's club before I leave. Energy bars will be top of the list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not sure if it's a go to shot, but if I find myself struggling during a round I usually think "3/4 swing" and that helps me keep the ball in front of me and minimizes potential mistakes. I'm not good enough to figure out what's going wrong with my swing during a round & I can make things worse trying to fix my swing issues during the round.

I just got back from a lesson and my instructor said the same thing. Quit trying to hit it straight, draw the ball. I told him I was pulling the ball inside 150. He watched me swing and said because I am trying to compensate and tightening up causing all kinds of problems. We went back to a few drills and the draw came back. "Repeatable swing" is the goal at this point.

I'm not sure if it's a go to shot, but if I find myself struggling during a round I usually think "3/4 swing" and that helps me keep the ball in front of me and minimizes potential mistakes. I'm not good enough to figure out what's going wrong with my swing during a round & I can make things worse trying to fix my swing issues during the round.

I would call that a go to shot. You know it's always there is you need it.

And I think this is where it all started for me. I've never had a repeatable and solid swing until this year.

I plan on going to Sam's club before I leave. Energy bars will be top of the list.

Do some research, don't just buy any old energy bar. You don't want extreme highs and lows. You want a sustained release of energy. Golf is not about instant burst

Do some research, don't just buy any old energy bar. You don't want extreme highs and lows. You want a sustained release of energy. Golf is not about instant burst

Make's perfect sense. Thanks Feddie

This is what I have to do, but I also find that I drop roughly 10 yards off each club when I do it. I need to work on it to try and keep my distance gaps closer - or just club up like Tadashi said when I switch to this mode of though.

Are there any that you like? Maybe something like the Gatorade bars that are more carb based than protein based?

I always eat a snack before starting the back 9 but have been eating whatever I find in the pantry that morning which is usually a granola bar or cheese crackers. Either fails to do the job because I always find myself want to eat a ton or horrible food when I finish a round. I try to bring a Gatorade and sip on that through the front 9 adding water to the Gatorade each time I come to a cooler on the course. And it's gone on by the start of the back 9 so I end up drinking just water, refilling the same bottle along the way.

This is what I have to do, but I also find that I drop roughly 10 yards off each club when I do it. I need to work on it to try and keep my distance gaps closer - or just club up like Tadashi said when I switch to this mode of though.

I agree but I will sacrifice 10 yds or so for escaping with a birdie than trying to figure it out & completely make a mess of the hole.

Back