Cleveland Classic XL & XL Custom Driver Preview Thread

Just lopped 0.5" off mine and its now 44.5". Will update this thread with the results when I put it into play later this week

Just lopped 0.5" off mine and its now 44.5". Will update this thread with the results when I put it into play later this week

will be interesting to see what differences you see, if any.

i'm definitely interested to hear everyone's results with shortening this driver down. i used to play a VR tour 420cc, and i was playing it at full length 45.75", so the CXL at 45" already feels a whole lot shorter to me, and my driving stats can prove that it was a good move. I've played quite a few rounds with it already and i can't believe how good this driver is for the price. i actually just checked the golftown.ca website and they have these down to 249.99 already!

Nice, depending on what you see I am very tempted to do the same.

Has anyone found where you can order additional adapter sleeves?

thanks

Has anyone found where you can order additional adapter sleeves?

thanks

eBay has then. The Srixon Z Star tips and weights are interchangeable with the XLC

Wanted to give an update...USPS Priority mail delivered my Classic XL yesterday. I've been looking for a Rombax 6X07 reg shaft for my Supertri (it has stiff 6X07) when I found a new XL with the Rombax for $199 from a reputable dealer on Ebay.

I bought it based on the good reviews without ever demoing the Cleveland so I was a bit apprehensive. I actually demoed the XL in the local Golfsmith as my driver was being shipped but none of the demos had the 6X07 shaft. Didn't like the XL the B Asha 4 much. Although my swing speed is low 90's, the Asha shaft was difficult to control for me because it is so light (51 g) and maybe the high torque. I was worried that I wouldn't like my driver but found demos with the JDL 5 and 6 and my results were much improved. I should be playing regular flex but did demo the Fubuki and Black Tie in stiff. The Fubuki was ok but ballflight was too low and I have no business playing a Black Tie in stiff (felt like I was swinging telephone pole).

Anyway, I had the afternoon off today and took my XL with the Rombax out for a quick round. First off, the driver looks fantastic and it is about 3/4" shorter than my Supertri. Conditions were not ideal with 20 mph+ winds but I couldn't wait. I warmed up at the range and hit about a dozen with the XL. My first shot was a beautiful baby draw with that landed about 10' from my range target. The XL sets up great and it is much easier than the Supertri to hit in the middle of the clubface.

The course I played has a lot of tight holes that force me to use fairway woods off the tee on 4 of the par 4s. Today I decided to hit my XL on all par 4/5s to get a feel for the club. The first hole is a par 5 with a wide fairway but a strong crosswind howls through this hole. I striped my first drive with the XL down the middle even with a 20MPH crosswind. The next hole is a short par 4 with trouble on the left and I usually play 5 wood. Hit the XL and ended up 60 yds from the green with a towering tee shot that landed 20 yards right of the fairway in a bailout area. The stiff crosswind didn't help but I easily made par.

The next dozen or so holes are better protected from the wind, and the XL was great at finding fairways. I normally wouldn't hit driver on some of the narrow par 4s but had to give it a shot. The XL went exactly where I was aiming and I could play a slight fade if I needed to...something I couldn't do with the Supertri.

The only negative is that I believe my Supertri is longer on well struck shots. It's a longer club and feels a bit heavier than the XL and I love the Supertri when I catch it flush. The problem is that I'm irratic with it. The XL is MUCH better at finding fairways, even in windy conditions and I am loving the 6X07 shaft with it. The 6X07 is the perfect weight for me, and has a nice kick and mid/high flight without being "whippy". LOVE THIS SHAFT!

Very happy that I pulled the trigger on the XL. It's a gorgeous club, the feel is outstanding, and it is very easy to square up and hit the middle of the clubface. I might take the Supertri out on occasion on tracks with wide open fairways, but I think the XL will bring my scores down.

GREAT JOB CLEVELAND!

Last edited:
Sounds like an awfully good first day to me!! Congrats on the new driver, and I look forward to seeing your distance results on less windy days abbott!

Sounds like an awfully good first day to me!! Congrats on the new driver, and I look forward to seeing your distance results on less windy days abbott!

Thanks Canadan! The positive comments on the XL on this forum helped me with my decision to make the purchase. I'm playing Sunday morning and the weather forecast looks better.

Great first day! Congrats on the purchase!
Wanted to give an update...USPS Priority mail delivered my Classic XL yesterday. I've been looking for a Rombax 6X07 reg shaft for my Supertri (it has stiff 6X07) when I found a new XL with the Rombax for $199 from a reputable dealer on Ebay.

I bought it based on the good reviews without ever demoing the Cleveland so I was a bit apprehensive. I actually demoed the XL in the local Golfsmith as my driver was being shipped but none of the demos had the 6X07 shaft. Didn't like the XL the B Asha 4 much. Although my swing speed is low 90's, the Asha shaft was difficult to control for me because it is so light (51 g) and maybe the high torque. I was worried that I wouldn't like my driver but found demos with the JDL 5 and 6 and my results were much improved. I should be playing regular flex but did demo the Fubuki and Black Tie in stiff. The Fubuki was ok but ballflight was too low and I have no business playing a Black Tie in stiff (felt like I was swinging telephone pole).

Anyway, I had the afternoon off today and took my XL with the Rombax out for a quick round. First off, the driver looks fantastic and it is about 3/4" shorter than my Supertri. Conditions were not ideal with 20 mph+ winds but I couldn't wait. I warmed up at the range and hit about a dozen with the XL. My first shot was a beautiful baby draw with that landed about 10' from my range target. The XL sets up great and it is much easier than the Supertri to hit in the middle of the clubface.

The course I played has a lot of tight holes that force me to use fairway woods off the tee on 4 of the par 4s. Today I decided to hit my XL on all par 4/5s to get a feel for the club. The first hole is a par 5 with a wide fairway but a strong crosswind howls through this hole. I striped my first drive with the XL down the middle even with a 20MPH crosswind. The next hole is a short par 4 with trouble on the left and I usually play 5 wood. Hit the XL and ended up 60 yds from the green with a towering tee shot that landed 20 yards right of the fairway in a bailout area. The stiff crosswind didn't help but I easily made par.

The next dozen or so holes are better protected from the wind, and the XL was great at finding fairways. I normally wouldn't hit driver on some of the narrow par 4s but had to give it a shot. The XL went exactly where I was aiming and I could play a slight fade if I needed to...something I couldn't do with the Supertri.

The only negative is that I believe my Supertri is longer on well struck shots. It's a longer club and feels a bit heavier than the XL and I love the Supertri when I catch it flush. The problem is that I'm irratic with it. The XL is MUCH better at finding fairways, even in windy conditions and I am loving the 6X07 shaft with it. The 6X07 is the perfect weight for me, and has a nice kick and mid/high flight without being "whippy". LOVE THIS SHAFT!

Very happy that I pulled the trigger on the XL. It's a gorgeous club, the feel is outstanding, and it is very easy to square up and hit the middle of the clubface. I might take the Supertri out on occasion on tracks with wide open fairways, but I think the XL will bring my scores down.

GREAT JOB CLEVELAND!

I hit the range last night and it was so wet, I hit driver only for my small bucket. I settled into the Std Upright setting with the 3g weight in the back. And I am sure glad I cut it down to 44.5". My big block miss was gone and I even started to see some gentle draws. Now this is just on the range mind you, but I should have a better idea when I tee it up again in a tourney at the home of the OH Invitational, Legendary Run.

I hit the range last night and it was so wet, I hit driver only for my small bucket. I settled into the Std Upright setting with the 3g weight in the back. And I am sure glad I cut it down to 44.5". My big block miss was gone and I even started to see some gentle draws. Now this is just on the range mind you, but I should have a better idea when I tee it up again in a tourney at the home of the OH Invitational, Legendary Run.

I know it was just the range but how do you think distance compares?

I know it was just the range but how do you think distance compares?

Too tough to call since we had some big winds yesterday. I wouldn't want to say one way or another just yet. I'd feel awful if someone hacked their shaft down a bit based on just my results yesterday. This weekend will be more telling using real balls, real fairways, and real tournament pressure.

Too tough to call since we had some big winds yesterday. I wouldn't want to say one way or another just yet. I'd feel awful if someone hacked their shaft down a bit based on just my results yesterday. This weekend will be more telling using real balls, real fairways, and real tournament pressure.

Initial range results of cutting down the shaft sound pretty promising. Really looking forward to hearing your feedback after some solid on course time this weekend!

Yeah dude, the wind here has absolutely sucked. It's great to hear the shorter setup took away a miss for you though!

We're in for a cooler but seemingly calm weekend. Looking forward to hearing your success!

Continuing my MC sponsor bumps, I am excited to get back on course with my Classic XL. I have really dialed in the higher ball flight that I have been experiencing, playing it against the wind in various scenarios and finding solid results. My focus this year has been center face contact, and trying to hit a straighter ball without a pronounced draw.

Today, I expect to use it eight times, and I am hoping for seven fairways (87.5%). My miss the last couple nights has been manageable, slightly off center and high on the face generating about 85-90% distance with a lazy draw. Not a bad miss to leave in the bag at all, and certainly fairway playable.

Who else is gaming the classic today? Got any predictions for fairways?

Continuing my MC sponsor bumps, I am excited to get back on course with my Classic XL. I have really dialed in the higher ball flight that I have been experiencing, playing it against the wind in various scenarios and finding solid results. My focus this year has been center face contact, and trying to hit a straighter ball without a pronounced draw.

Today, I expect to use it eight times, and I am hoping for seven fairways (87.5%). My miss the last couple nights has been manageable, slightly off center and high on the face generating about 85-90% distance with a lazy draw. Not a bad miss to leave in the bag at all, and certainly fairway playable.

Who else is gaming the classic today? Got any predictions for fairways?

I will have mine in the bag today too. Three gram weight in the head, set to Std Upright, and 44.5" in length. I hit 4 FIR using driver on this course last time, so my goal is to beat that. Tee location may play a big role in that though, as I didnt hit driver on too many holes on the back 9 last time.

Nice stuff Dans.

I'm hoping to get out with it this weekend. Have a busy weekend going on, but if all goes well I will hopefully have the XL out in Monday.

Had an amazing custom fitting yesterday for a golf driver (full details in other thread: http://tinyurl.com/qyvoxrj). I normally have too high a launch angle and because my current driver wasn't fitted to me the shaft is not suited at all and I tend to slice high and right (far, far right).

My pro doesn't have a clubhead speed stat on his simulator but I know I'm about 104mph. Started with the XL Custom in 9 degrees neutral setting with medium weight and with the Miyazaki JDL 6 (stiff). Perfect spin numbers but launch angle still too high. Then tried the Matrix shaft but similar numbers and it just felt a little odd to me. Then went through a few other driver options that didn't improve things before returning to the Cleveland. In order to bring my launch down we tried the JDL 6 but in extra stiff this time, also added the heavier 11 gram weight lowered the loft to 8 degrees. This also opened the club face angle by 1.5 degrees which was fine because my tendency had been to overdraw my shots, so this should hopefully straighten things out. Straight away, spin still perfect at 2600 rpm and launch down to nearly 14 degrees. Also crunching my shots to 260-269 carry.

Been lent the club in that setup so can't wait to test it in a round in a few hours. Fingers crossed it's gives me the same results!

Well, shot 88 yestd with just 2 FIR, 3 penalty strokes with the driver. Two blocked right and one I hit too long through the fwy and into the junk. One was my best tee ball of the day, just hammered it too straight.

Seemed like I but better tee shots than 2 FIR but the fairways were pretty firm and must have gotten a few Sergio bounces. I'm still glad I cut it down though, the wild miss never showed up.

I hit the Classic 9 times yesterday.. 6 of 8 on fairways, and another miss on a provisional (that wasn't even remotely needed fortunately).

The two misses I had were both the same ultra high fade, which wasn't even close to the average shot type I was seeing with it. Kind of surprising as they were in between great shots straight down the middle.. I just need to keep my hands from opening up prior to impact and I think I'll be fine. Didn't bother with the GPS, but had some really good strikes outside of the two(three) misses.

Also, decided to take a picture of the face on the range post round trying to dial it in further.. I've moved my contact area closer to the center and have been happy with the results. Fewer lazy draws off toe shots.

20130525_140253.jpg

For those worried about face wear and what you're seeing in that photo, nearly all those lines and wear marks are removable.. I was simply taking the opportunity to point out where I am striking it. Only a few small pin-like marks on the contact zone from maybe a dirty ball exist there after countless rounds and range sessions.

Well, shot 88 yestd with just 2 FIR, 3 penalty strokes with the driver. Two blocked right and one I hit too long through the fwy and into the junk. One was my best tee ball of the day, just hammered it too straight.

Seemed like I but better tee shots than 2 FIR but the fairways were pretty firm and must have gotten a few Sergio bounces. I'm still glad I cut it down though, the wild miss never showed up.

Fairways pretty narrow where you played? Any thought to cutting it down even further?

What's the wild miss right now.....hard pull?

Back