Big Bertha Heavenwood shaft replacement

jdwdwd

Reaction score
Handicap
Hello to all!

New guy here. I told my neighbor that I can replace the broken shaft on his Callaway Big Bertha Heavenwood 32* 7 h. I am beginning here in search for info and advice. A little history: I have built 4 or 5 sets of clubs for myself, family & friends and have repaired and regripped many clubs in the past. Butt not for several years. I still have the tools and confidence that I can do a proper job.

I need your help in selecting the proper shaft, ferrel, etc. especially those unique to to Callaway clubs. My neighbor, I guess is 75 yrs old, plays about 3 times a month, is a high handicapper and has asked me to select the shaft. I suspect, given his skill level, I could attach any graphite shaft with senior flex to this hybrid and it would not impact his game significantly one way or another. That's not my style. I want to do it in a way that I hope he may find that this clubs performance exceeds the other Heavenwood hybrids in his bag.

I believe these clubs were manufactured with a RCH 75w R flex shaft with a .350 tip diameter. I am not certain of that and I do not know what flex he had on this one and the others he uses today. I have no idea of his swing speed nor other mechanics. Not trying to go custom here, just rebuild using basic parameters. I assume he would do best with a shaft more flexible than R.

So here's what I hope to get from ya'll:
  • shaft recommendations and specifications
  • Callaway's standard shaft length for the 32 degree 7 Hybrid
  • shaft tip plug, adapter, sleve adapter, ferrel (I repaired an old Big Bertha driver years ago that involved a plug, what is needed here)
  • all the advice and instruction anyone is willing to offer concerning techniques, methods and general DIY tips.
  • suggestions on the best retail source for the shaft, grip and accessories (have not shopped this stuff for a while)

I thank you all for your replies and look forward to getting this project up and running.

jd

Back