Texas judge busted for drunk driving pleads for special treatment

fupresti

Former Big Deal
Reaction score
Handicap
Marriage
Those brows are the real crime here.

I hate hipocracy in power. She said THEY were going to ruin her career? Crazy that people have no accountability.

Nothing surprises me with Texas and drunk driving. Especially after that rich kid got away with killing a bunch of people

Amazing what makeup and polishing up a photo can do for ones self.

And don't make this into a "Texas" issue bluegold.......stuff like that goes on across our great and wonderful country my friend. All rich people don't live in Texas.

Amazing what makeup and polishing up a photo can do for ones self.

And don't make this into a "Texas" issue bluegold.......stuff like that goes on across our great and wonderful country my friend. All rich people don't live in Texas.

Oh no doubt it's not a Texas issue. I was just sick when that kid got a hand slap after killing those people.

Wisconsin drunk driving laws are a joke. I make no excuses.

She did nothing different that anyone getting arrested for DWI. You hear every excuse imaginable.

You think of all people she would get if you do the crime you do the time

While I certainly don't condone her drunk driving nor do I think she should have gotten away with her plea for leniency, we're getting a little crazy in this country that any illegal act means a person should immediately lose their job.

Is she really unfit to be a judge because she got one DUI (assuming it was her first)? Would she be unfit to be a judge if she got cited for speeding? Would she be unfit to be a judge if she was arrested for disturbing the peace because she was playing music too loud?

I'm certainly not saying a person cannot be deemed to be unfit because of a single arrest, but is it ALWAYS the case? Is anyone allowed to make any mistake in their life anymore?

Just asking….

Is she really unfit to be a judge because she got one DUI (assuming it was her first)?
Yes. It's not too much to ask that whoever is tasked with enforcing and upholding the law, abide by them.

And before someone says "We've all broken a law here or there." I'm going to respond with "No, we don't."

I worked too hard for my career to do something stupid like drink and drive. If I really want a beer, I'll confirm with my wife that she can serve as DD for the night, or drink at home. It really isn't a hard concept to grasp. For crying out loud, she could have called a f**king cab. Instead, she risked her life, the lives of the officers, and the lives of every unwitting individual on the roads she passed that night. So no, she isn't fit to serve as a judge.

Tough call Wade. It might be different if she had a different job though. People who dispense justice are held to a high standard and I think that's completely fair. CDL drivers will lose their licence for a DUI as well - essentially a trip the unemployment line. If many of us have a little wacky tobaccy on our own time and fail a test we'll be looking for a new job. There are things you just have to understand you can't do and plan for them when you're not drunk and prone to making bad decisions.

Yes. It's not too much to ask that whoever is tasked with enforcing and upholding the law, abide by them.

And before someone says "We've all broken a law here or there." I'm going to respond with "No, we don't."

I worked too hard for my career to do something stupid like drink and drive. If I really want a beer, I'll confirm with my wife that she can serve as DD for the night, or drink at home. It really isn't a hard concept to grasp. For crying out loud, she could have called a f**king cab. Instead, she risked her life, the lives of the officers, and the lives of every unwitting individual on the roads she passed that night. So no, she isn't fit to serve as a judge.

Never even sped?

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/28/us/in-broward-county-fla-spate-of-judges-in-dui-arrests.html?_r=0

Here is another article about THREE judges from one county in Florida that have been busted recently. I just read this in the not too distant past. I bring it up not to point at Florida, but what is ironic to me is if I recall, all three are female and this one in Texas is a female as well. Just seems ironic.
Should they lose their jobs, I don't know, as Wadesworld says, people should be able to make mistakes and pay for them without them being life altering. But their crime definitely has the potential to be life altering for them and for innocent bystanders. I don't think that leniency should be applied, but a harsher stance should be taken instead. These people see the affects of drunk driving through the benefit of their workplace every single day. That should make it even more easy to say if I'm going to get together with my friends and have a drink I need to do it at my home and or make arrangements to get a ride home. As judges that apply and uphold the law they should be held to a harsher standard when they decide to violate the very laws they are there to enforce and uphold.

On that note, I have tried to make it very clear to my two teenage boys that while I do not encourage them to drink or support it, I'm not an idiot and they will be exposed to the opportunity to consume alcohol. If/when that happens, call me at any time of the night and I will come get them and their friends with no punishment attached. I would rather pick my drunk 17 year old up and make sure that he gets home than get a phone call saying he's being arrested, has been in a car accident, has killed someone else, or himself. I want them to be comfortable knowing that they can call me without fear.

Never even sped?
Ha, I was waiting for this absolutely inane comparison to arise.

You really mean to tell me that you'd equate speeding with a DUI?

And to actually dignify this silly question with a response ... I have a perfect driving record, I intend on keeping it that way. With a 70 mph speed limit in these parts, exactly how much faster does one need to go? Your car is a friggin death machine on wheels, it should be treated as such, with a healthy dose of respect.

And to answer this silly question, I have a perfect driving record, I intend on keeping it that way.

There was no comparison ever made between anything. You simply stated that not everyone has broken the law. All I did was ask a question.

And to actually dignify this silly question with a response ... I have a perfect driving record, I intend on keeping it that way. With a 70 mph speed limit in these parts, exactly how much faster does one need to go? Your car is a friggin death machine on wheels, it should be treated as such, with a healthy dose of respect.

I believe that as a judge, you have to be above certain things. Drunk driving is one of them. Speeding is a different story.

The worst part is her begging. She knew she did wrong. And her first action was begging for the cops to not haul her in. She missed the point. Her 25 years of work that got her to her judgeship shouldn't be enough to have her pardoned by the police, it should show her that she should know better than to have 5 beers and speed home.

I believe that as a judge, you have to be above certain things. Drunk driving is one of them. Speeding is a different story.

The worst part is her begging. She knew she did wrong. And her first action was begging for the cops to not haul her in. She missed the point. Her 25 years of work that got her to her judgeship shouldn't be enough to have her pardoned by the police, it should show her that she should know better than to have 5 beers and speed home.

So you're basically saying that as a judge she used bad judgement?

Damn I'm funny.

So you're basically saying that as a judge she used bad judgement?

Jokes aside, that statement alone should disqualify her from being a judge.

Maybe we should just cain her and give her a clean slate. Kidding.............

It is sad to think she is probably going to lose her judge position off of one stupid night and decision.

C'mon man...I call bullsh here. While I can totally see using a DD and avoiding that mess, are you really going to say that you've NEVER broken a law? Never speed, never change lanes without signalling, always come to a complete stop before turning right or at a stop sign. This isn't about picking you apart, but that's a pretty tough line to draw in the sand....

As for the judge, I totally get why a minimum she can no longer be a judge on DUI/DWI cases because it's the equivalent of a compromised jury....but I'm not totally sure that it warrants her being totally unfit to serve as a judge of some other judicial proceedings - property law, etc.

Back