Does swing path affect turf contact?

lilbilly

Reaction score
Handicap
Was doing some thinking today:

Does your swing path or plane (out to in, in to out) affect how the sole of the club contacts the turf? Would an outside to in swing path create turf contact towards the toe, or vice versa? Basically, would this affect proper lie angle...

It does for me but that doesn't mean it always happens that way

I know it has for me in the past, during my first ever fitting they talked about bending my clubs upright as I was having too much toe interaction.

I guess I should restate, swing plane would obviously affect it - flat vs upright.

Really only questioning swing path, outside to in or inside to out.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

I guess I should restate, swing plane would obviously affect it - flat vs upright.

Really only questioning swing path, outside to in or inside to out.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

I am no swing expert, but I don't think you can split those things up. If you are coming out to in, I would think you have to be steeper then if you are coming in to out. This is just me thinking of my own experiences.

Again, I will let others that no more chime in, but when I come over the top (out to in) I know it as at a steeper angle, and creates deeper divots.

I am no swing expert, but I don't think you can split those things up. If you are coming out to in, I would think you have to be steeper then if you are coming in to out. This is just me thinking of my own experiences.

Again, I will let others that no more chime in, but when I come over the top (out to in) I know it as at a steeper angle, and creates deeper divots.

True. Didn't think of it that way.

I'll even take it one step further, taking the club head back long and low to start the backswing will make interaction a bit different than lifting the club up quicker and coming in a bit steeper. Many factors that goes into that turf interaction. But the big one that always gets overlooked is the spine angle during and through the swing. A breakdown in that and you'll get all sorts of turf interaction.

Back