THP NorCal Crew at Pasatiempo 7-26-14

syndicate559

Sweet Trajectory
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 12.6
While we know the focus of most has been on the Morgan Cup this weekend, we had to let everyone know that the NorCal Crew was holding it down on the Pacific Coast. We played Pasatiempo, which is an amazing and historic Allister MacKenzie design in Santa Cruz. There were 11 of us who made it out today and we were treated to incredible weather, beautiful views and of course, the great camaraderie that is present whenever we get together for a round. Special thanks to RoundersRob for the guest rate hookup for our entire group! Let's see those pictures, boys!

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

e2uqe7yv.jpg

Mancest contemplating the approach on 13
a6eba8uz.jpg

RoundersRob posing on the 10th tee.
u4uvyqen.jpg

Self explanatory

I will post my pic's later today but big thanks to Eddie and Rob for making this thing go

Great job guys. What a fun course!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One thing I'd like to comment on is how much differently the course played yesterday, compared to the first time I played it almost a year ago. Last year, it was still very green with lush, healthy (i.e. evil) rough. Due to water restrictions, they've let even more of the course go brown in the time since and it plays much harder and faster now. The greens are still immaculate and the purest I've ever putted in my life. The bunkers are plentiful and also, perfect in their condition and the quality of the sand. For obvious reasons, as we played yesterday, it was very reminiscent of watching the U.S. Open at Pinehurst this year. While the pictures may not be as stunning as they would if it was all super green, I found it to be beautiful in a more natural way and really enjoyed the way it played. Water conservation is a huge issue and topic of discussion in the golf industry, as we all know. Pasatiempo has been one of the courses leading the way in this, at least in California (Poppy Hills is now re-designed and geared toward less water with hard/fast conditions as well). The casual onlooker and golfer may not appreciate the changes from an aesthetic standpoint, but I would encourage anyone to play a course that's been kept this way if you get a chance. When you hit a good drive, Lordy does it get some roll out! I know our 3 groups had a blast trying (unsuccessfully for the most part) to tame this classic layout yesterday.

One thing I'd like to comment on is how much differently the course played yesterday, compared to the first time I played it almost a year ago. Last year, it was still very green with lush, healthy (i.e. evil) rough. Due to water restrictions, they've let even more of the course go brown in the time since and it plays much harder and faster now. The greens are still immaculate and the purest I've ever putted in my life. The bunkers are plentiful and also, perfect in their condition and the quality of the sand. For obvious reasons, as we played yesterday, it was very reminiscent of watching the U.S. Open at Pinehurst this year. While the pictures may not be as stunning as they would if it was all super green, I found it to be beautiful in a more natural way and really enjoyed the way it played. Water conservation is a huge issue and topic of discussion in the golf industry, as we all know. Pasatiempo has been one of the courses leading the way in this, at least in California (Poppy Hills is now re-designed and geared toward less water with hard/fast conditions as well). The casual onlooker and golfer may not appreciate the changes from an aesthetic standpoint, but I would encourage anyone to play a course that's been kept this way if you get a chance. When you hit a good drive, Lordy does it get some roll out! I know our 3 groups had a blast trying (unsuccessfully for the most part) to tame this classic layout yesterday.

well said, Eddie. Personally, the apparent verticut (sp?) and dressing made for a few 'different' rolls on the greens, but, overall, they were pure and sickenly challenging. Great stuff.

You're 100% correct on the hard conditions and how it just plays differently. Who knew I could hit a 3-wood 300 yards? :D (tailwind, downhill, hard conditions, etc)

Right? I punched a 3 hybrid 210 uphill from under a tree on to the green on 17! Still 3-putted for bogey, but it's definitely fun to be able to pull off some different shots. Of course, all of that roll works against you if you go sideways. I had that happen a few times as well.

This sounds absolutely amazing. Makes me wish I was still living in the Bay Area!

I don't have any pics from the day as I was focused on trying to find some semblance of a golf swing (did not happen). Once our group got past the fact that the course is very difficult, we ended up having a blast. Tim has bombing his driver all day, Matt was displaying great touch around the greens, Chris hit it the straightest of the group and I was able to lip out or just miss about 10 putts.

Despite the challenges it was an awesome day and great to meet up with the nor cal crew. Thanks again to Rob for having us out, it was a real treat!

Here are a few pictures from my group (Gingerista, Brianbigoats, D'John and Aoxo)

Gingerista on the fairway.

D'John's incredible swing.

Brianbigoats gets after it big time.

Rob (our gracious host/putting), Eddie (syndicate559/left) and Roger (mancest/right) ahead on the green.

Looking at the 18th green and the tee beyond.

Last edited:
It was such a good time, amazing course and the weather was so nice. Thanks so much to Rob for making this available to us, hard to imagine being able to play here otherwise, what a treat.

Many thanks to Eddie for keeping this on track, what a time. Anyone who did not come should kick themselves at least once. This was so good.

Aoxo

That shot of the 18th is awesome, Alan!

Thanks for posting the pictures guys, hope there's a few more (yes, I'm being greedy).
Rob,
Thank you for being a great host, as usual, sounds like everyone had a blast.
Eddie,
Thanks for keeping this on track. Hopefully I'll be able to attend the next one.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

The course looks a little more rustic and natural from when I played there about 2.5 years ago. Looks like a good time

Eddie getting ready to take it to #1
Eddie rallying the troops for a Picture Group Shot
The Third hole

The Walking Group on looking down from the 4th green

The 10th Green

Roger getting ready to take on a tough 11th
Diabolical 16th green

17th fairway

got the pictures up with 20 min to spare

Glad you guys all enjoyed it. Weather was near perfect. Come back again next year and play it when it's green again to see the difference.

The 11th ugh…

The 11th ugh…

Seriously! That was the first snowman I've taken in at least a couple years. Now I have to go back again just for that hole. Just getting bogey would be redemption on that one.

Seriously! That was the first snowman I've taken in at least a couple years. Now I have to go back again just for that hole. Just getting bogey would be redemption on that one.

I was happy with my boggy on that beast

Great picture of that 16th green! yikes!

Glad I wasn't the only one that got kicked in the teeth on 11! I think next time I'm going 7i/7i/whatever it takes and just accepting that its a three shot par 4. If memory serves I lipped out my double putt for a quality 7.

Tim got hosed, he had an impossible lie and made a great shot only to watch his ball stop on the green, then roll 60 yards down the fairway. Abused.

Great picture of that 16th green! yikes!

Oh man, I don't know if you've been there or not, but it looks 10 times worse in person! There is easily a 20-foot elevation change from the upper tier (where the pin was) to the front, lower tier. mancest made an 80-footer from the bottom fringe all the way to the top. Easily the best bomb I've ever seen in person.

Back