Shipping vs Flying with Clubs 2015

Chump Fries

Captain Awesome
Reaction score
Handicap
I looked at a few older threads, but wanted to revist this topic. I'm flying to San Diego from Birmingham in about 2 months. I have a hard travel case that I use to take my clubs with me on trips. I'm always scared that either they wont make it, or the case wont get shut back correctly (clasps are tricky and TSA agents are well TSA agents).

Has anyone shipped their clubs via FedEx/UPS/Shipsticks/etc.? Did you enjoy the process and what was the cost?

I'm flying Southwest, so that means my clubs will fly free, but if it's cost affective, I like the idea of not having to wag my clubs through the airport and worry about TSA getting all handsy with them.

Just bring them.

Just bring them.

That's what I figured. Really considering buying a new travel case (a nicer hard shell than my current one) that has better clasps.

Hard shell is sort of a pain when traveling. Look at the club glider or one of those better reviewed soft cases

That's what I figured. Really considering buying a new travel case (a nicer hard shell than my current one) that has better clasps.

You don't even need that imo. Take the head off your driver, put it in the headcover. Pack a bunch of towels around the clubs. Good to go. I've done this every time for the last 5 years with no issues at all. Shipping is a pain in the butt and very expensive.

Just fly with them. Will be easier on the wallet.

I had a hard case with clasps that didn't work so well, but I also bought a strap to put around the bag to keep it closed. Threaded it through the handle so it wouldn't slide off. Never had any issues despite TSA not properly securing a clasp a couple of times.

That hard case was a pain in the butt, so I changed to a soft bag and haven't had any issues.

I'm going to be trying Ship Sticks for the first time in a few weeks. Having them shipped to the course I'm playing, play golf, leave 'em at the course and have them shipped back. If I was traveling SW then I would bring 'em.

You don't even need that imo. Take the head off your driver, put it in the headcover. Pack a bunch of towels around the clubs. Good to go. I've done this every time for the last 5 years with no issues at all. Shipping is a pain in the butt and very expensive.

I get the premise, but do you just ship the golf bag itself with the rain cover or do you have some other kind of soft bag?

I always take them with me, at least I know immediately if there are any issues. I have used a Club Glove with a stiff arm and (knock on wood) have never had any issues.

I take them with me all of the time.
There are numerous reviews on some OUTSTANDING travel bags on THP.

Get a BagBoy internal protector thingy for your clubs, take your driver head off, wrap clubs in towel, you will be fine. I probably have taken 15 trips with my soft bag, never had an issue. Even TSA cannot screw up zippers.

Last edited:
I'm going to be trying Ship Sticks for the first time in a few weeks. Having them shipped to the course I'm playing, play golf, leave 'em at the course and have them shipped back. If I was traveling SW then I would bring 'em.

I did this when I played chambers bay. Super easy

I get the premise, but do you just ship the golf bag itself with the rain cover or do you have some other kind of soft bag?

No, I don't ship them.

Soft sided bag. Padding up top.

I take them with me all of the time.
There are numerous reviews on some OUTSTANDING travel bags on THP.

I'll check these out. Does anyone have any personal favorites? No real requirement other than would like to keep it under $200 if I can get a good one at that price.

I always bring them and have never had a real problem. That said, I learned an important lesson last time: you know that little luggage receipt you get when you check it in? Take a second and make sure the final destination is listed correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sun Mountain Club Glider Series is hands down the best travel bag to date.
Again, there are reviews on these on THP and TONS of threads on the different bags.
As someone that has tried nearly every one on the market, this is the best I have tried (and many other THPers).

Sun Mountain Club Glider Series is hands down the best travel bag to date.
Again, there are reviews on these on THP and TONS of threads on the different bags.
As someone that has tried nearly every one on the market, this is the best I have tried (and many other THPers).

I'm actually looking at those now. Curious to see the benefits of the different models. I love Sun Mountain in general. My past 2 bags have been SM and I have loved both of them.

I've used ship sticks a number of times in the past and found it to be a good option.

Cost is around $50 bucks each way ($100 total) if you can be without your clubs for a week on each end (cost goes up as the shipping time shortens...). They'll pickup and deliver right to your porch.....

ADVANTAGES:

- You don't have to lug clubs around the airport along with your other luggage etc. Especially if you have a heavy hard case.

- Clubs are insured ($1,000 for free, more at slight cost) and airlines will not insure clubs in a soft sided bag.

- Clubs get delivered (twice I've had clubs that were delayed by airlines when planes ran late and the clubs could not make the transfer in time - so they were a day late in arriving).

DISADVANTAGES:

- Cost - if the airline you're flying lets you check your clubs for free.

I had a recent trip where I travelled for work with 2 other guys, and had multiple stops before I had a weekend to golf.

I used shipsticks to send them up to a buddy so I didn't have to haul my clubs with me over a couple stops, and it worked fine but it was $55 one way.

I brought my clubs back using the Sun Mountain clubglider and it was a breeze. If you are travelling with kids, it might be worth it to not have the hassle of schlepping your clubs around.

For the price you can get one of the clubglider bags (think I paid $120 or so for the journey model) it would almost pay the price for 1 round trip use of shipsticks.

So in my humble opinion, get a clubglider bag or use shipsticks only if it really helps logistically.

have flown twice this year with my clubs...both times on southwest. I have the SM Club Glider and have had no issues. I remove the heads from drivers and woods/hybrids, pack them in the bag and go about my travels. I have the ClubGlove Stiff Arm as some added protection.

I used them in January from NJ to Orlando and had no issue either way besides trying to track them down at the resort.

Get a BagBoy internal protector thingy for your clubs, take your driver head off, wrap clubs in towel, you will be fine. I probably have taken 15 trips with my soft bag, never had an issue. Even TSA cannot screw up zippers.

I did this for the trip to MO and they were fine. I just had to repack my bag in the parking lot at the course on Sunday before I left!

And TSA says...

challenge-accepted-how-i-met-your-mother1.jpg

I have used a Club Glove Bustproof II for a few years now and never had any issues or any clubs damaged. Its a breeze to roll around the airport and for extra insurance I use a Club Glove stiff arm.

I have looked into shipping but even with baggage fees it ends up being cheaper to fly with them most of the time. I have a soft Ogio case and I remove the heads from my woods and wrap everything in towels and I have had no issues thus far. I have thought about getting a hard case but they seem like more of an inconvenience as far as handling and getting in a rental car.

Back