Cleveland Classic XL Fairway Wood Preview Thread

3 becoming your preffered club off the tee?

Depends on the round if I am being honest. If I am keeping score or playing for money, its either the SuperTri or the Classic XL 3 wood. If I am out for some me time or BSing with buddies I usually pull the 3W for my first shot then hit another one with the XLC driver. Still trying to find my way with it.

I really got into a groove with my 3 & 5 during my last range session. As Cookie instructed, I need to play the ball back with these, almost to the middle of my stance like an iron. From there, all they need is a nice easy, controlled swing and they go dead straight. If I play them a bit forward or really go after one, they will miss left. The misses varied from 5 yards left of my 'target fairway' to hook city lookout net on the far left of the range. I like how the softer tip in the 4S helps me get them airborne, but wonder if the soft tip brings some of the lefts into play.

I really am glad that tidbit helped as I still see the exact same thing you are referring to. Very much the shaft and the soft tip comes into play. The face is quite hot though IMO.

The 5w is becoming my go to club off the deck as I am quite comfortable with it from 200-215 out. I must stay away from the 3w off the deck at 14* as I just haven't developed the consistency I need with it. The 3w off the tee is a beast when ball position is good with a smooth swing.

The B Asha is a great fit if you can keep from going after it....I think the stock matrix Ozik holds up a bit better when you do decide to step on it.

I'll be honest....I initially thought the lefts with the stock shaft was the shafts fault but I now realize it was really ball position that caused it more than anything.

The fairway woods will be put to the test at Ledgestone on Saturday, excited to see how it goes playing some target golf!

Placing this golf club (14*) on the gold list would be flat out wrong. Way wrong. It needs some sort of diamondy platinum smiley face badge of excellence.

Yeah, I probably overreacted, but it's my new best friend, and I wanted to make it feel good. The combination of the heavier B.Asha shaft has finally tempered my higher ball flight without feeling like a piece of rebar, not to mention looking absolutely fantastic alongside that compact black clubhead.

A realistic average carry is probably in the realm of 245-250 yards, however I opted to GPS a couple today that I felt really made pure contact, and with their bounce, I had them at 273, and 268 yards. That's visible proof of a darn near perfect head/shaft combination for me, and it's given me the confidence to hit this as a driver replacement in any sub-400 yard situation.

Flighting is more commonly related to where contact is made on the clubface, with hits slightly toe of center and higher than center being a solid mid/high flight, with shots on center being more closely in the mid range. I think if I could claim a miss, it'd be an over draw, but even when the draw gets a little crazy, I'm dealing with maybe 20-30 yards off aim-line, which in most cases I play appropriately to leave me well out of trouble.

The best part about this club is my confidence to just step up and take a free, full swing at it. The fades are limited, unless I really work for them or the wind is favouring left/right, however my second best shot of the day was a fade around a corner on a slight left/right dogleg. Like it was put on a track.

I put this club in the bag as a driver replacement, and have gotten exactly that. I have no experience hitting it off the deck nor do I intend to. What I did NOT expect, was that kind of length, or that kind of accuracy. I'm truly blown away by it, as has been shown between last weekend and this weekend. I only missed one fairway at the Illinois invitational (probably hit it 9 times), and this weekend, went 6/7 yesterday, and 5/5 today.

This club is flat out exceptional for my game.

Oh this made platinum...I will own one

That's awesome Dan.

This one and it's little brother, the 5W, helped me a ton today. Love smashing these clubs, love it!

I'm hitting this club so much better then before. Absolutely wonderful golf club.

I'm hitting this club so much better then before. Absolutely wonderful golf club.
Last you said you were struggling with it, finally break thru with it?

Last you said you were struggling with it, finally break thru with it?

Yes sir. Hitting it much better now. I guess I just had to get adjusted with it.

Yes sir. Hitting it much better now. I guess I just had to get adjusted with it.
Nice dude, nice.

I am a big fan as well. Possibly the best 3W I have ever gamed.

Nice dude, nice.

I am a big fan as well. Possibly the best 3W I have ever gamed.

It's up there for sure. It's a close one between the RFE, AMP Cell and this.

It's up there for sure. It's a close one between the RFE, AMP Cell and this.

Just to expand on this, each 3 wood has it's positives.

RFE= Absolute beast and is LONG.

Amp Cell= Easy to hit it high and low. Can basically do it at will.

Classic XL= Predictable Ball flight.

Just to expand on this, each 3 wood has it's positives.

RFE= Absolute beast and is LONG.

Amp Cell= Easy to hit it high and low. Can basically do it at will.

Classic XL= Predictable Ball flight.

So basically you're saying RFE=Amp Cell=XL

Lol. I would like to hit the classic XL. I need someone to tie me to a chair or something on media day because I feel like I am gonna want to hit everything.

So to the guys who got a 3W this year, were you thinking more of a driver replacement or using it off the deck? Maybe a little of both?

And for the guys who have had inconsistency off the deck with it, do you feel it is a design issue or swing issue or combo of both.

Danimal and Cookie both put up exceptional posts about this bad boy.

So to the guys who got a 3W this year, were you thinking more of a driver replacement or using it off the deck? Maybe a little of both?

And for the guys who have had inconsistency off the deck with it, do you feel it is a design issue or swing issue or combo of both.

I think off the tee, it's a great club. I know everytime where the ball will finish. Period. I've been a little inconsistent off the deck with it. If I hit it correctly (as it was designed) it reacts just like an off the tee shot just with a lower launch and more spin. I think the way the club is designed makes it weird to hit off the deck at first, but you get used to it.

100% tee ball. It was never intended to be hit off the deck, as I just don't really care to go for it when I am 230+ out. Anything inside that can be weathered by my 18* which has been fantastic. It's a big reason why I went with the 14* option.

Thanks for the kind words Bradalphy.

Im with Dan, for me the 3W+ is an option of the tee, mostly. I have hit it off the deck a few times, but it's purpose for me is off the tee. For off the deck, I defer to the 5W or Hybo. Off the tee, it's beastly.

See I play a 15* 3W and I am able (for the most part) to play it really well off the deck. I don't feel uncomfortable pulling it out and going for it when I am 220-230 out.

I might have to experiment with this thing in Myrtle. I'm intrigued.

Good stuff guys.

See I play a 15* 3W and I am able (for the most part) to play it really well off the deck. I don't feel uncomfortable pulling it out and going for it when I am 220-230 out.

Good stuff guys.
You can hit mine, I'll allow it.

Good stuff guys.

I'm thinking the 15.5 degree with the stock shaft would be a great option for you dude.

Good stuff guys.

Get in line I called dibs weeks ago lol

I am looking forward to seeing this awesomeness in person. Ive never been a wood off deck guy but I am a bomber off the tee down the pipe guy.

Get in line I called dibs weeks ago lol

I am looking forward to seeing this awesomeness in person. Ive never been a wood off deck guy but I am a bomber off the tee down the pipe guy.

That's a lot of analogies.

I hit my 3W (15.5*) off the tee only. Went with the 15.5* over the 14* because I was pretty inconsistent off the tee with the Mashie 14* so I wanted a change. I will likely only hit the 15.5 off the deck in a scramble type of round. I have the 4S in both my 3 & 5 woods, they are open for trials at media day or during prep rounds.

Placing this golf club (14*) on the gold list would be flat out wrong. Way wrong. It needs some sort of diamondy platinum smiley face badge of excellence.

Yeah, I probably overreacted, but it's my new best friend, and I wanted to make it feel good. The combination of the heavier B.Asha shaft has finally tempered my higher ball flight without feeling like a piece of rebar, not to mention looking absolutely fantastic alongside that compact black clubhead.

A realistic average carry is probably in the realm of 245-250 yards, however I opted to GPS a couple today that I felt really made pure contact, and with their bounce, I had them at 273, and 268 yards. That's visible proof of a darn near perfect head/shaft combination for me, and it's given me the confidence to hit this as a driver replacement in any sub-400 yard situation.

Flighting is more commonly related to where contact is made on the clubface, with hits slightly toe of center and higher than center being a solid mid/high flight, with shots on center being more closely in the mid range. I think if I could claim a miss, it'd be an over draw, but even when the draw gets a little crazy, I'm dealing with maybe 20-30 yards off aim-line, which in most cases I play appropriately to leave me well out of trouble.

The best part about this club is my confidence to just step up and take a free, full swing at it. The fades are limited, unless I really work for them or the wind is favouring left/right, however my second best shot of the day was a fade around a corner on a slight left/right dogleg. Like it was put on a track.

I put this club in the bag as a driver replacement, and have gotten exactly that. I have no experience hitting it off the deck nor do I intend to. What I did NOT expect, was that kind of length, or that kind of accuracy. I'm truly blown away by it, as has been shown between last weekend and this weekend. I only missed one fairway at the Illinois invitational (probably hit it 9 times), and this weekend, went 6/7 yesterday, and 5/5 today.

This club is flat out exceptional for my game.

I'm quoting this for the morning crew because THIS is a great feedback post. It's a stone cold fact.

This fairway is an animal. When I reviewed it earlier this year for THP I hit it against every fairway on the market (except the 3deep as it wasn't released) and only one head was as long or longer than it. Great launch, dispersion, looks, and SOUND.

Not to skim, but did anyone go with the Fubuki tour in this for the MC?

I want the 18* 5w. I know this for a fact.

Back