It's all about the Panda tips

Canes

305 Till I Die
Reaction score
Handicap
Panda, if you don't mind a look at my swing please. I've been working my tail off for #theGauntlet. Here's what I've been working on lately:

1. Better takeaway with the clubface parallel to my spine angle. I tend to be more "toe up" which can lead to an open face and timing the hands at impact. I'm trying to exaggerate the feel on my pre-swing.

2. Maintaining my spine angle on the takeaway. It feels like I drop the left shoulder down to keep the spine angle. I've been working on flexibility but lower back can tighten up.

I do have a little bit of re-routing at the top of my backswing and would like to get rid of it.

Any help would be much appreciated! Get well soon buddy!

Swing DTL 8.16.14: http://youtu.be/6sNMn0Y08iM

Canes - great setup, I'd take some of the forward spine angle out. It causing a little crowding prior at impact. Also where you hitting a knock down or was that a full delivery?

Canes - great setup, I'd take some of the forward spine angle out. It causing a little crowding prior at impact. Also where you hitting a knock down or was that a full delivery?
An easy 7 trying to quiet the hands at impact and not go left.

Stand a little more upright at address? The grip is kinda close to my shorts.

Work behind the ball and swing down the line. Extend through the zone.

Standing taller and keep hand just slightly pushed away from your body
An easy 7 trying to quiet the hands at impact and not go left.

Stand a little more upright at address? The grip is kinda close to my shorts.

Thanks bro. I'll give that a go tomorrow.

Any concern with the little re-route or loop at the top of the backswing? It's looks flat or laid off and then I subconsciously get the club more upright coming down.

Thanks bro. I'll give that a go tomorrow.

Any concern with the little re-route or loop at the top of the backswing? It's looks flat or laid off and then I subconsciously get the club more upright coming down.

No issue with the reroute. The goal is solid contact, correct. If a little reroute achieved this, then so be it.

Be like the digital underground and 'do what you like'

Almost a year later and my swing went back to old habits of inside and laid off on the backswing. Trying to go more vertical again. These are 6 iron DTL. Panda, I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Slow mo

Last edited:
Looking at this again, I think I need to stand a few inches away from the ball. Funny you don't realize how close your hands are to your legs at setup.

Canes you are picking the club up from the address position. That club head needs to draw back away from the ball. This move is aiding in you standing taller instead of helping you rotate the shoulders. You get the club into a good position at the top but you have a reroute on the down swing. This reroute has you right elbow behind you and a bit chicken winged. Work on allowing those hands to drop down toward that right hip as the hips release. This will help you extend through and down the line. Making your contact tighter and crisper.

Thanks Freddie. I've been told to get more wrist hinge at the takeaway to get that 90* angle in the backswing. Trust me I prefer what you're saying taking the club away with the shoulders. Could this be a different method?

Thanks Freddie. I've been told to get more wrist hinge at the takeaway to get that 90* angle in the backswing. Trust me I prefer what you're saying taking the club away with the shoulders. Could this be a different method?
A true 90* is very hard to achieve. It's a great way to practice. Take your address position then set the club in a 90* angle. The toe shoukd pointed to the sky, hand over your right leg. From here you just turn the shoulders and lift the arms. This drill putts you into a solid position. This drill works on angles and tempo. It will be difficult at first but a great drill.

As for looking for this position on the back swing, very hard. The feeling will be more present on the down swing.

A true 90* is very hard to achieve. It's a great way to practice. Take your address position then set the club in a 90* angle. The toe shoukd pointed to the sky, hand over your right leg. From here you just turn the shoulders and lift the arms. This drill putts you into a solid position. This drill works on angles and tempo. It will be difficult at first but a great drill.

As for looking for this position on the back swing, very hard. The feeling will be more present on the down swing.

a few pros come to mind who set the angles in the downswing through sequencing. lucas glover, steve stricker, david toms, sergio garcia. and i'm sure there are a bunch more. i recall you posting several times that artificially hinging the wrists is a bad thing; that hinging happens through proper sequencing. i've tried to focus more on turning in the backswing, rather than hinging. i also like something you posted recently about how at the top of a tour pro's backswing, their shirt is stretched across their back indicating a full shoulder turn. i've had some success with that thought as well.

I've hit hundreds of balls lately stopping at the position on the right pic below. I just need to be aware of keeping the club in front of me and not behind. That's what my body wants to do.

83e888ebd86df2a25cf58c0635576098.jpg

This is where I want to be on the downswing (right pic) which might take a few years to get it full speed.

47f9d74c9f3cc2f51825a39f9ba406b0.jpg

I've hit hundreds of balls lately stopping at the position on the right pic below. I just need to be aware of keeping the club in front of me and not behind. That's what my body wants to do.

83e888ebd86df2a25cf58c0635576098.jpg

This is where I want to be on the downswing (right pic) which might take a few years to get it full speed.

47f9d74c9f3cc2f51825a39f9ba406b0.jpg

what are these two pics supposed to be showing? are they before-and-after? i'm confused

what are these two pics supposed to be showing? are they before-and-after? i'm confused
Yeah the crap swing on the left vs half swing drills on the right.

Is the club too far behind you on the one?

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Back