Sports Authority got rid of the simulator and much of the golf section

rollin

"Just playin golf pally"
Reaction score
Handicap
I don't usually think of SA too much for golf. Mostly because they never have anyone with any real knowledge in there imo and getting help is never easy in any section as they are never staffed with enough employees imo. But its close to my house and they do sell golf and have a decent section for it. (well, not anymore) Was in there the other day browsing for putters and also shoes and here is my experience.

The first thing was that I had to ask where is the golf section? as it was no longer in the front of the store. The worker points me to the back corner. They tucked it way back in the left corner like some toilet paper section in a super market not even visible from the front. Then when I saw the size of it. It was kind of sad. This large brightly lit golf section that dominated the front left side of the store was now about little over 1/2 the size and tucked back in the corner and blocked by high shelving never even visible till you got to it.

They had very few putters (almost laughable) and even got rid of the putting station and then I realized they also did not carry quite the same amount of clubs sets anymore and even more surprised when I realized they got rid of the simulator too. Not too mention the golf shoe selection was limited at best. And only one shelf section of balls and small rack of gloves. They had other things like bags, carts etc and everything was neat and orderly but I almost felt like they didn't even want anyone in their looking for golf stuff. like as if "oh crap, here comes a golf customer". It was disheartening fwiw and just not a good experience. As said, I never thought it was the best but it at least was inviting. But not anymore at all:( I wonder if this is going on in more SA stores

Yeah, they're still selling clubs from 1-2 years ago at almost no discount. They really don't seem to care. It's just there

Depending on where you are, golf season, specifically buying season, is coming to a close. School starting means their extra-curricular activities are pushed to the weekends, which means less time for golf. In the meantime, school-age sports are in the prime buying time. Cleats, pads, shoes, etc. are where the money is.

It's funny but, comparatively, golf season is heading into full swing here in AZ. Snow birds are on their way south, and green fees are going up. Stores are touting their golf gear in a way not really seen during the hottest days of summer.

Yeah, they're still selling clubs from 1-2 years ago at almost no discount. They really don't seem to care. It's just there

I've always maintained that SA imo has always been expensive and not just for golf but in general for anything.

I've always maintained that SA imo has always been expensive and not just for golf but in general for anything.

I agree. Sports Authority has some pretty ridiculous prices.

I agree. Sports Authority has some pretty ridiculous prices.

+1 on this. I rarely go to SA. Their selection on most items and very rarely is there any discount. If I go there it's to grab something small if it's closer than Dicks or other stores.

Haven't been in a SA in a few years and never for golf.

Only golf item I ever got from them was a Clicgear 3.5+ on-line because it was best deal I could find. Never even considered buying clubs, etc from them. Limited selection, obsolete models....

Haven't been in a SA in a few years and never for golf.
I was in one, once in the past 7 or 8 years. That was last winter when I stopped in one on the way home to take a quick vine of a Callaway Display for MC contest that was ending the next day :)

Only golf item I ever got from them was a Clicgear 3.5+ on-line because it was best deal I could find. Never even considered buying clubs, etc from them. Limited selection, obsolete models....
This is ironic because about 2 years ago they had a huge fiasco over an online price on a Clicgear 3.0 and many here were bit by them on this. They did not honor any of the pricing that they had published and canceled everyone's order without explaining at all. I have not been in one or dealt with them since.

My push cart came from them quite a few years ago as an xmass gift from my wife. One of my two pairs of cleats also came from them. They were on sale and I also had a coupon at the time so the deal was great. Other than that its usually been something baseball for my son or something basketball for my daughter but even that stuff would often take me on line and also to Modell's. And then the occasional gift certificate was always an option for a gift to somebody for whatever the occasion might be.

But between SA and even modell's they both really seam to be much more about clothing and sneakers vs sports gear. usually Modell's I found to have better deals on both of those things.

This is ironic because about 2 years ago they had a huge fiasco over an online price on a Clicgear 3.0 and many here were bit by them on this. They did not honor any of the pricing that they had published and canceled everyone's order without explaining at all. I have not been in one or dealt with them since.
I used one of the friends / family coupons they did 4 or 5 months ago to get mine. After 25% off and free shipping, it was a good $20 or more cheaper than I could find it anywhere else.

There is one other thing I would use them for and that is some basic fishing tackle. And even poles too which is not a continuing purchase but I found that was one area they actually would have some decent sales with in the past. Although I must say its not an area that I am any kind of really good connoisseur of.

But I don't think they really ever caught a good golf crowed anyway. And like many of you are saying not too much thought of golf for SA from the average person but perhaps that was due to their own fault. They did after all have a large section but imo never did really give it all that much attention. Then once dick's expanded and got near my area I am sure it put a hurting on them. But again they didn't seem to do anything to compete or fight for ground. No pro's, no fittings, repairs etc. At least not in SA in my area.

I know dick's just dropped their pro's now on a side note (as SAID in another thread) but at least they were and probably still are doing much more with golf in general and they still have galaxy going for them. It just seems SA never cared all that much about golf. I am sure they simply made their money during the great influx and took full advantage of that just by default but as that started to dwindle they just never made the extra efforts imo. They just seem to be much more about the latest top line clothing vs most of their sports gear.

Last edited:
Occasionally shop there for general sporting goods--they had a better selection of softball gear for my daughter than the Dick's next door--but I often marvel at how out-of-touch their golf department is.

You know I am beginning to wonder why stores call themselves sporting goods? Stores like SA as mentioned but also Dick's, modell's etc.....just seem to be far more about clothing then the actual sporting goods. Of the three I think dick's has the most of everything to be honest.

I remember years back we use to have hermans world of sports and while usually in malls the stores were not very big but was stocked with all kinds of actual sporting goods. When did clothing become sporting goods?? and I do understand clothing and its place with sports. But how can you call yourself sporting goods when you are really more of a clothing store? Sportswear is not really sports per say. And when it makes up far more than half your store while "all the actual sports stuff" added together makes up the may be other half? Its really a clothing store or sportswear store vs sporting goods. I just don't know.

I guess it coming down to having to find a real sports store which doesn't seem to exist much anymore if at all. And one would think that with all the travel sports these days and how families and kids are so involved in youth sports more than ever before there would be a place in this era for many such stores to do very well. But I guess one can argue that on line shopping has hurt that a ton. But on the other hand sports equipment and accessories are a very personal thing and many of which need to be experienced live and in person.

I live I the northeast tristate area. of course very populated and looking for sports goods can still be a challenge as they just don't seem to really exist much. I can only imagine how much harder it is in much less populated areas.

Sometimes they have good deals on balls. However, I don't often find myself in need of Tommy Armour Torch drivers, and I am definitely never in need of major OEM clubs that are tethered to the display in such a manner that you can't even pick it up.

Sometimes they have good deals on balls. However, I don't often find myself in need of Tommy Armour Torch drivers, and I am definitely never in need of major OEM clubs that are tethered to the display in such a manner that you can't even pick it up.

One thing I did happen to like fwiw was one of the very few putters that was there and it was a Tommy Armour putter. Suprisingly felt nice to me.But I need to get to galaxy and compare several models and putt with them.

The one thing I have noticed the last few months when a post has come up about a particular store and the golf section is that almost everyone always chimes in with, "Well I've never bought anything there...but I like to go in and look around." We can't expect the brick and mortars to stick around much longer without people buying. These stores don't charge admission, so with the rise of online shopping they have more or less become showrooms. Same thing with Best Buy and what Circuit City was with electronics. If we aren't buying from the store, we can't really complain if they bury their golf section in the back or fire all of their PGA professionals.

The one thing I have noticed the last few months when a post has come up about a particular store and the golf section is that almost everyone always chimes in with, "Well I've never bought anything there...but I like to go in and look around." We can't expect the brick and mortars to stick around much longer without people buying. These stores don't charge admission, so with the rise of online shopping they have more or less become showrooms. Same thing with Best Buy and what Circuit City was with electronics. If we aren't buying from the store, we can't really complain if they bury their golf section in the back or fire all of their PGA professionals.

I certainly here what your saying. lets face it, the demand for golf business just isn't the same is it once was. Most people do not update clubs or bags and carts etc , often at all. Contrary to a percentage of the family here at THP most people just cant upgrade often and its a big expense. But balls, gloves, shoes, not to mention shirts and all kinds of accessories that are the nickel/dime but volume part of the golf business is what people would buy because they need to if the prices are what they consider good and the selection was good and inviting to browse. All stores are subject to huge amounts of browsing in every area of interest. That's part of the whole thing imo.

I'll bet the general sportswear clothing section in SA or others (while producing huge sales) is probably also browsed percentage wise even far much more than the golf section vs actual buyers. But also in this economy people are not buying what they want but rather only what they need. But most shopping has always been browsing more than buying. I think that's always been the case and nothing new at all.

I think Academy is in the same boat as SA or at least is heading that direction. Last time I was in one of their stores the golf section was relatively dated, the prices weren't competitive on anything, the simulator had cobwebs on it and there wasn't an employee to be found anywhere near that section. Really disappointing IMO.

This has been my experience with Academy as well. I did buy a Cobra Amp 3W there not too long ago and when I checked out I inquired about the head-cover. The cashier looked at me like I had 10 heads but called a manager over. He kinda shrugged and told me he wasn't sure where the head-covers were or if there even any for that club. I immediately handed it back to them and asked for a refund. Pretty bush league.

+1 on this. I rarely go to SA. Their selection on most items and very rarely is there any discount. If I go there it's to grab something small if it's closer than Dicks or other stores.
saw on the news that Dicks lost a bunch of revenue in the golf & hunting areas of their franchise.....lost more than the other areas could make up....I don't look for Dicks to carry either much longer, or at least not to the volume they currently have...

I think the internet is killing the B&M stores everywhere...take me, I've bought 99% of my golf/woodworking supplies/hunting gear online....no more running to a store that doesn't have exactly what I want....and it's less hassle,too.

Dicks just announced that they were cutting back on golf as well. They also announced poor earnings in the Golf Galaxy stores.

Like the stores or not, these are business decisions. They have to use the floor space for products that generate more revenue.

In short, a sign of the times.

I think the internet is killing the B&M stores everywhere...take me, I've bought 99% of my golf/woodworking supplies/hunting gear online....no more running to a store that doesn't have exactly what I want....and it's less hassle,too.

I agree here. The internet is usually cheaper and easier, plus no sales pitch hassle. Now that there is an avenue to newer stuff at lower prices, I think a lot of people will skip the brand new thing for something less new, or wait until the new stuff hits the web on the cheap.

I know that if it weren't for the internet, I wouldn't have purchased any new gear over the last year at all. I just can't justify the expenditure. Never have.

SA in Augusta didn't just close the golf department - they closed the whole store.

Back