Trying To Break 90 Club

Shot a 96 today that I'm not upset with... Been working on some swing, putting and stance changes. Might not look like it but I've been striking my irons very well with the changes I've made. Just have to work on putting together a solid round.

a9f7a79a22de904fcff546afc65fab4d.jpg

After four terrible rounds (scores ranging from 98-102), I fired a 94 today on tougher course that I have never played (49 - 45). Short game was much better today after some decent range sessions this week. Broke 90 one time last year. Hopefully today was a step in the right direction of breaking it a handful of times in 2015.

Shot a 92 on Sunday. Had an epiphany last week and just got the opportunity to put it to use. That was a 92 with 4 triple bogies, so I'm confident this number will drop fast.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

90 is my target for my first full season of golf. Today I made 96 on my first round for the year. No real blow up holes, but definatelly some room for improvement

New round today:94 (48/46). It goes in the right direction. No real blow up holes. Need to work on short game, there I can really save some strokes

I just played nine, and scored a 47, not so bad, but I need to work on my irons, they were always thin

I just played nine, and scored a 47, not so bad, but I need to work on my irons, they were always thin
I found this drill somewhere can't Remer exactly where right now but I use it all the time. Set up as you would just shift the focus of your eye to 2 inches in front of the ball. Helps me get back to hitting better iron shots.

So, I may have posted this earlier, but not recently. I joined a new club in December. It is significantly more difficult than most other courses in the area. Which is fine by me, I want my game to improve.

Here lies the rub - I have broken 90 at this club exactly 3 times in about 35 rounds. I post every score, and my hcp is in my signature.
So my goal is to try to consistently break 90 at this new club.

Here are the areas where I need to improve - not necessarily in order.

1) Driver - so much of the game depends on keeping the ball in the grass, not just the fairway. I am getting a lesson next week from one of the assistant pros to figure something out.

2) Putting - I have never been a great putter, but last year I would average 33 putts a round. This year, I have had exactly two rounds where I have had fewer than 36 putts at this new club. I found out that the average green speed is 11.5 on the stimp, for daily play. Needless to say, the greens are fast. They are also quite undulating, enough so that the older members are complaining about the greens on a daily basis.

3) Short game - The green complexes are similar to Donald Ross designs - it seems that every green is elevated and the bunkers are really tough, with the sand wedge recommendation to have "low bounce" soles. Not to mention that most holes have a bunker at 4 and 8 o'clock positions, with the approach areas actually feeding into the bunkers.

4) Approach shots - as a mid hcp player, I should be a little better than I am here. Problem is that, off the tee, I need a ball that does not spin much. However, to hold the greens, I need a ball that can spin. I have started hitting one more club and aim to the center of the green, but I have flown a bunch of greens and had balls roll off the back at an alarming rate (eg: 52*wedge flew 135 yds today, into the wind - my normal PW distance is 125 yds).

I know I can play this course well - I have had good looks at eagle a number of times, I have birdie'd half of the holes, and I can hit the ball high and pretty far.

Thanks for reading this rant - I hope to be able to break 90 regularly by the end of the year - I figure that if I post it, I will feel more responsible about attaining the goal!!

For me the two biggest things that kill my round and prevent me from breaking 90 on a regular bases are penalties and three putts. I take these two things out of my round and it's all good.

First time. It was an interesting round. Found out that from my tees I can play my 5-iron off the tee and reach greens in reg. This brings into question do I even need to learn how to hit a driver? All leagues and tournaments in my age group are from the reds. I'm hitting 5 iron, 8 iron and sometimes 5 iron + GW. A 180 5-iron off the tee is not bad for an old lady. At least it goes straight. What killed me today was failure to make consistent solid contact - in other words bad shots. But then there were stretches where I could feel it.

I tought I was going to make it today with a 42 on the front, but I had some bad bounces and got tired at the end, I think 4 rounds in a week is a bit much.

I ended up with a 94.

this is still my best round of the season and it is something top build on.

Did it..... 89 today. 44/45. And I felt like I didn't hit the ball well at all, but was able to score somehow.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Did it..... 89 today. 44/45. And I felt like I didn't hit the ball well at all, but was able to score somehow.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

well done!

Played 9 with my 8 year old this afternoon and shot 46. 1 par (137yd 9th - greenie and 2 putt), 2 doubles and the rest bogies. Did hit my all time long drive though on the first - 298 yds according to skydroid. Granted the tee box is about 20 feet above the fairway, but I did flush it. My son said "dad - you hit that like a beast". Lol

Scored a new PB with a 98 on the Bethpage Blue course. Modest 50 on the front nine, which is regarded as the toughest nine in the area apart from the Black Course. This was also done using a x-stiff FW shaft as my driver shaft so I had to get used to the stiffer and shorter stick. Couple fat shots and the course has a couple temp greens.

Shot an 87 today (43/44) with miserable greens. They haven't been watered at all and are like pavement. Anyway, 1 bird, 4 pars, 10 bogies and 3 doubles, 34 putts, 8 FWs. The FW misses were not by much.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

89 today (45/44). Lost a few balls today that hurt me. Hopefully this is the start of a year of breaking 90.

89 today (45/44). Lost a few balls today that hurt me. Hopefully this is the start of a year of breaking 90.

Very nice Eric. Not the easiest course in the world. It has several holes that can be card wreckers for sure.

Went 49/47 for a 96 today. Not too bad for a course new to me. Driver was really strong today. Putting and wedges were poor. On to the next round

Very nice Eric. Not the easiest course in the world. It has several holes that can be card wreckers for sure.

Yep and some of the ones that are I played ok on and ones that shouldn't be so hard killed me. All in all for the type of change I'm going through and still getting used to I will take today and build on it. Saturday will be a fun challenge for the swing too.

I tought I was going to make it today with a 42 on the front, but I had some bad bounces and got tired at the end, I think 4 rounds in a week is a bit much.

I ended up with a 94.

this is still my best round of the season and it is something top build on.

Had to feel good about that 42. What was the difference on the back 9?

First time. It was an interesting round. Found out that from my tees I can play my 5-iron off the tee and reach greens in reg. This brings into question do I even need to learn how to hit a driver? All leagues and tournaments in my age group are from the reds. I'm hitting 5 iron, 8 iron and sometimes 5 iron + GW. A 180 5-iron off the tee is not bad for an old lady. At least it goes straight. What killed me today was failure to make consistent solid contact - in other words bad shots. But then there were stretches where I could feel it.
Way to go bud!! Don't over think your play off the tee. Go with whatever gets you on the fairway and keep it in play.

Went out today for my 3rd round of the year, shot my lowest score since returning to the game last year. Shot a 84 on a tough, hilly course. Pleased with my short game, saved my bacon today. Tons of key ups and downs made

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Went out today for my 3rd round of the year, shot my lowest score since returning to the game last year. Shot a 84 on a tough, hilly course. Pleased with my short game, saved my bacon today. Tons of key ups and downs made
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Great job! If you can shoot 84 in those conditions it won't be long before you are breaking 80.

Went 49/47 for a 96 today. Not too bad for a course new to me. Driver was really strong today. Putting and wedges were poor. On to the next round

Congrats. Why not make that next round with Local DMV THP'ers at Renditions on Saturday

Yep and some of the ones that are I played ok on and ones that shouldn't be so hard killed me. All in all for the type of change I'm going through and still getting used to I will take today and build on it. Saturday will be a fun challenge for the swing too.

Indeed it will. As I have told MDHacker in the past. It's a tough course, because every hole is modeled after a Major Championship hole.

Back