Sports Authority got rid of the simulator and much of the golf section

I don't think clubs is the big factor. I think most people hold on to sets of clubs for many years anyway. May be not the norm for quite a few on this THP forum but certainly the norm for the average person who may even be avid players of the game. I think the sales and money makers are the nickel/dime (but quantity) type of sales. The perishables that keep the money flowing. Balls, gloves, tees, towels, accessories of all sorts, even shoes and shirts too.

However, if clubs were much cheaper I believe they too would be sold far more often than they currently are. Paying millions to tour pro's certainly does drive the expense upwards. But what can you do as its all part of the circle.

My local SA did the exact same thing a couple of years ago when they re-modeled the inside of the store. Right down to shoving the golf section into the back left corner of the store. No hitting bay/LM, much fewer club/apparel/shoe options. Basically worthless unless I'm in there for something else and happen to find a great sale or clearance price on balls or clothing.

my email is bombarded daily with online golf retailers offering bargains on all gear.....I just don't buy unless needed...too many other hobbies or demand on my income.

does not suprise my there selection sucked and so did there service at least at the local one

I think Academy is in the same boat as SA or at least is heading that direction. Last time I was in one of their stores the golf section was relatively dated, the prices weren't competitive on anything, the simulator had cobwebs on it and there wasn't an employee to be found anywhere near that section. Really disappointing IMO.

I have to think that the expansion of online retail (within the golf industry) is going to continue to beat down the brick and mortar guys like SA, Academy and even Dick's. There are so many deals every single week from Golfsmith, Golf Galaxy, and even the mid- the lower-tier guys that the brick and mortar stores just can't keep up.

I think it depends on which Academy you go to. There are several near me. The newer ones have a bigger selection, simulators, and usually somebody there to help you. A couple of the older ones have smaller golf sections (the whole store is smaller as well), no simulators, and rarely anybody around.

There is a small section in the one near me. No simulator, no specified employee for the section and limited stock. I visited to check prices, most items were overpriced not comparable to other stores.

Like other places, they must charge list price.. Most golfers today can't afford to pay the high dollars and go online and look to save some money.. Just the way it is..

I have never seen an employee in the golf section of our local Academy. I gave up and have not been back.

After reading all the posts in this thread and stepping back to see where it all leads, I have to say the following:

I AM employed by Sports Authority and have been there for almost 6 years now, and as I was originally hired to work the Golf Department, my duties have changed and I now work the entire sales floor of the store. My back round is as follows:

1) Worked as both a sales person and a store manager for some of the largest at their time West Coast Golf Retail Chains (1980's-2000's)
2) Was a Product Rep for one of the first companies to venture into the Laser Distance Golf Corse measuring devices
3) Have been a member of the South Texas Section of the PGA of America

I listed the above info just so that all who read my reply here understand (that while I don't know everything) that I have been in and around the "Industry" for over 30 years and while I am not trying to defend, make excuses for anyones business practices, I feel that their may be some misconceptions floating around out there that I may be able to clear up.

People/Companies go into business for one reason only, to MAKE A PROFIT!
Business plans of companies have to be able to adapt and change with the times, or they will cease to exist!
While Sports Authority, Dicks, Modells, Academy, and others do offer Golf Products, it is not their only business, but a portion of it, and thus while they all may have gotten on the Band Wagon when the Golf Industry was on its Big Boom way up, as we know for a myriad or reasons, the Boom is over and everyone from Retailers to Golf Courses to Stand Alone Practice Facilities and Manufacturers are feeling the industry recession.
Thus they have to adapt and change their business plans to survive.
There is also another culprit in the mix and you are viewing this site right now on it, that's right , the internet! I hear a lot at work from customers they are coming into our store to get the size that they need so they can order a product online, and while I have no problem with people buying from Non Brick and Mortar sources, you have to understand that it is bound to take a toll eventually.

As far as Sports Authority or any other "Sporting Goods" store goes, Golf is just a department and not the main focus of their business and thus when it becomes either less or unprofitable to focus the amount of resources that they had in the past, they move on and look to see where those resources will provide the biggest "Bang for the Buck"
While the fact that I was fortunate enough to come on board with a large amount of "Golf Knowledge" most of our stores, as well as other sporting goods retailers over the past 3-4 years (since the Golf Bubble has burst) are not putting the time or money for the type of training that was given in the past because they just don't see the return on investment.

As far as inventory goes the Sports Authority that I work for try to carry items that are geared towards the "Average Recreational Golfer", the once or twice a month player, and not the Low Handicap, 3 Day a Week Player who is looking for Forged Blades or Cavity Backs, Exotic Shafts, and $350 Milled Putters and while we do carry High End Balls (Pro V's, B330's, Z Stars and such) it is definitely more for our customers convenience then a necessity.
Sports Authority in my area does carry Woods and Iron sets from 3 to 5 manufacturers that are their most current models , but not the "Pro Series", just the Johnny Everyday Average Golfers models, with shafts that are in some cases Uniflex, and in some are available in both Regular and Stiff Flexes, but in almost all cases are to aid the golfer getting the ball airborne, and with enough offset to help square the clubface up so as to help reduce the "Slice" of the average player.
Sports Authority, as well as others also carry previous generation clubs from these manufacturers at a substantial savings from their original prices because they are still a good value for the "Average Recreational Player"
Prices on most "Major OEM" equipment is set by the OEM themselves and it is called MAP Pricing (MAP=Minimum Advertised Pricing) and if you try to circumvent it you stand the risk of losing you Account with these OEMs.
Ever notice when you look on line that sometimes you will see "Price Too Low To Advertise-Place item in cart to see your price" that is because of MAP Pricing.

I hope that this will help shed some light on this subject!

Fairways and Greens to all,
Johnny Hack

I saw this thread and knew JH would chime in, great guy, great golfer and knows his stuff.

Yeah, they're still selling clubs from 1-2 years ago at almost no discount. They really don't seem to care. It's just there

This x100. My local SA has a Callaway Diablo driver covered in scuffs from the hitting bay listed at $179.99 still, I have no desire to spend money there.

I agree here. The internet is usually cheaper and easier, plus no sales pitch hassle. Now that there is an avenue to newer stuff at lower prices, I think a lot of people will skip the brand new thing for something less new, or wait until the new stuff hits the web on the cheap.

I know that if it weren't for the internet, I wouldn't have purchased any new gear over the last year at all. I just can't justify the expenditure. Never have.

And yet, I've never bought any golf stuff off the internet. I want to try before I buy, and I'm just not the type to use a store's hitting bays and clubs, then go elsewhere to buy stuff. You keep doing that and there will be nowhere left to test gear out.

My brother was looking to buy a new driver. A couple of weeks we ago had planned to play, but it rained all day, so we ended up at Golfsmith. He tried several drivers. The guy worked with him for at least an hour, trying, adjusting, then trying again. He ended up buying a new TM driver. If Golfsmith wasn't there, none of that could have happened.

Maybe we're just lucky to have 3 Golfsmith stores in the Denver metro area, but if they go down, that's pretty much it, so I'll give them all the business I can.

And yet, I've never bought any golf stuff off the internet. I want to try before I buy, and I'm just not the type to use a store's hitting bays and clubs, then go elsewhere to buy stuff. You keep doing that and there will be nowhere left to test gear out.

My brother was looking to buy a new driver. A couple of weeks we ago had planned to play, but it rained all day, so we ended up at Golfsmith. He tried several drivers. The guy worked with him for at least an hour, trying, adjusting, then trying again. He ended up buying a new TM driver. If Golfsmith wasn't there, none of that could have happened.

Maybe we're just lucky to have 3 Golfsmith stores in the Denver metro area, but if they go down, that's pretty much it, so I'll give them all the business I can.

And as a Golf retail employee every day we see people who do exactly that, hit balls for over an hour, with zero intention to buy in store, they'll go home and buy it online to save 20 bucks. Then want to trade in their *new* club for something else at full retail that they purchased online.

Dicks may have one of those trying out areas,but you'd still be limited to ONE store,where they charge as much as they can. Even now Dicks' is cutting back on their inventory of Golf stuff..due to lacking sales...I don't doubt that having clubs fitted by a pro increase the results on the course, it mostly comes down to investment/reward where amny golfers can't justify the cost. I'm glad you have 3 Golfsmiths near you..there are NONE remotely close here in WV....and I won't drive 90 minutes in horrific traffic(drive the DC metro area and you'll see why) just to buy clubs/gear...but thats' me.

And as a Golf retail employee every day we see people who do exactly that, hit balls for over an hour, with zero intention to buy in store, they'll go home and buy it online to save 20 bucks. Then want to trade in their *new* club for something else at full retail that they purchased online.

does your store sell online ??? maybe they should consider it,if not.......betcha you'd see sales increase. however, I agree trhat people trying with no intention of buying FROM YOU, is fraudulent intentions...even trying to trade bought-elsewhere is VERY fraudulent IMHO....again, another reason I'd NEVER be in business..I couldn't deal with those type in a non-insulting way.

I think Academy is in the same boat as SA or at least is heading that direction. Last time I was in one of their stores the golf section was relatively dated, the prices weren't competitive on anything, the simulator had cobwebs on it and there wasn't an employee to be found anywhere near that section. Really disappointing IMO.

I have to think that the expansion of online retail (within the golf industry) is going to continue to beat down the brick and mortar guys like SA, Academy and even Dick's. There are so many deals every single week from Golfsmith, Golf Galaxy, and even the mid- the lower-tier guys that the brick and mortar stores just can't keep up.

Golfsmith & Golf Galaxy are both Brick & Mortar stores. In Texas anyway... They just happen to have an online presence as well.

I certainly understand your point and don't disagree. But I tell ya, its too difficult to just pay significantly more money for something when your finances barely allow for those items at the cheaper prices in the first place.

I was at golf galaxy yesterday looking at golf shoes and shirts/shorts, also looking for a head cover and balls too. I just cant pay 60dollars for golf shirts and/or shorts when I can go to my local Kohl's and get them for close to half that price. Even the name brand one's are cheaper. And if their not then I buy the not so popular name brands because that's what I can afford. Or I buy the cheaper versions of the name brand ones at that same Kohl's again because that's what I can afford.

Looking for the golf shoes lately and I cant pay 100 or 150 for those same shoes I can find on line for 69 or 99. The savings is just too much. Or a head cover for 30bucks when I can get it for 15.

Its not like spending 250 on a few things will only save me 20 bucks buying elsewhere and on line where as I want to be supportive so I spend that extra 20 at golf galaxy. But its really more like spending 130 bucks instead of the 250. The savings is just too much with my budget for me to ignore.

They did have a puma shirts on sale at a buy one get one free which I considered but I didn't like the shirt style.

All in all if I had the disposable income I wouldn't mind buying some things and buying them more often and supporting the store but I don't so I cant.

Golf stores are not just about clubs. I would even argue its all the other stuff like golf clothing, shoes, balls, accessories of all sorts, etc,,, which are the bigger turnover. Less expensive stuff than clubs but a much higher volume of business. One doesn't buy clubs every year but does buy accessories, shirts, etc..Perhaps the stores also need to be working towards making themselves more profitable by selling things cheaper in order to do the volume. Also sell cheaper versions of all that stuff and also non name brand stuff.

I talk of Kohl's which is not a golf store of course yet there inventory of golf shirts seems to actually grow every year (at least by me). Why is that? Because they are doing something right. They are doing the volume. A combination of name brand stuff at a bit cheaper prices, and then also non name brand stuff and also cheaper versions of some name brand stuff all at much cheaper prices. They are selling to the average person who cant spend a lot money on their golf shirts and its a ton of people.

Perhaps these golf stores need to start catering more to the average income person who golf's. They can also still sell higher end stuff at higher prices too. But they need to do both. They are limiting there own customer base by not doing both. I know this may not be possible with all golf items and manufacturers but there is some rethinking they may be able to do to attract a larger customer base.

if being the "Bloomingdales" of golf is no longer working, it may be time to be more the "Khol's" . Clubs are clubs and are what they are but remember its all the other things that does the volume or can do the volume for a profitable business if perhaps they are able to do it with intent to attract the broader customer base. I am not certain but it seems this could really help.

I certainly understand your point and don't disagree. But I tell ya, its too difficult to just pay significantly more money for something when your finances barely allow for those items at the cheaper prices in the first place.

I was at golf galaxy yesterday looking at golf shoes and shirts/shorts, also looking for a head cover and balls too. I just cant pay 60dollars for golf shirts and/or shorts when I can go to my local Kohl's and get them for close to half that price. Even the name brand one's are cheaper. And if their not then I buy the not so popular name brands because that's what I can afford. Or I buy the cheaper versions of the name brand ones at that same Kohl's again because that's what I can afford.

Looking for the golf shoes lately and I cant pay 100 or 150 for those same shoes I can find on line for 69 or 99. The savings is just too much. Or a head cover for 30bucks when I can get it for 15.

Its not like spending 250 on a few things will only save me 20 bucks buying elsewhere and on line where as I want to be supportive so I spend that extra 20 at golf galaxy. But its really more like spending 130 bucks instead of the 250. The savings is just too much with my budget for me to ignore.

They did have a puma shirts on sale at a buy one get one free which I considered but I didn't like the shirt style.

All in all if I had the disposable income I wouldn't mind buying some things and buying them more often and supporting the store but I don't so I cant.

Golf stores are not just about clubs. I would even argue its all the other stuff like golf clothing, shoes, balls, accessories of all sorts, etc,,, which are the bigger turnover. Less expensive stuff than clubs but a much higher volume of business. One doesn't buy clubs every year but does buy accessories, shirts, etc..Perhaps the stores also need to be working towards making themselves more profitable by selling things cheaper in order to do the volume. Also sell cheaper versions of all that stuff and also non name brand stuff.

I talk of Kohl's which is not a golf store of course yet there inventory of golf shirts seems to actually grow every year (at least by me). Why is that? Because they are doing something right. They are doing the volume. A combination of name brand stuff at a bit cheaper prices, and then also non name brand stuff and also cheaper versions of some name brand stuff all at much cheaper prices. They are selling to the average person who cant spend a lot money on their golf shirts and its a ton of people.

Perhaps these golf stores need to start catering more to the average income person who golf's. They can also still sell higher end stuff at higher prices too. But they need to do both. They are limiting there own customer base by not doing both. I know this may not be possible with all golf items and manufacturers but there is some rethinking they may be able to do to attract a larger customer base.

if being the "Bloomingdales" of golf is no longer working, it may be time to be more the "Khol's" . Clubs are clubs and are what they are but remember its all the other things that does the volume or can do the volume for a profitable business if perhaps they are able to do it with intent to attract the broader customer base. I am not certain but it seems this could really help.

I don't buy shirts and stuff at Golfsmith either. In the post you quoted, I was specifically talking about clubs, as was the post I was replying to. You don't need to use the store's simulator and hitting bays and demo clubs to shop for shirts and head covers. That's a completely different subject.

My beef is with the guys who use the store's resources for anywhere from a few minutes to several hours, then order from someplace online because they can save $20. (And they are also going to be the loudest to b*tch when they find that the "deal" got them a counterfeit club.) They are stealing just as certainly as if they were walking out the door without paying. It just happens to be unethical, not illegal. The store has made an investment to offer those services, and like anyone else, they have to see a return on that investment or they will eliminate it as an unaffordable waste. Those who abuse those services will probably be the first to cry when that store they've been using closes, or removes it's fitting department. Just like those who are lamenting the firing of the pros from Dick's.

Back when I was shopping for my first set of real clubs, I had to buy at a golf course pro shop. Brand name clubs and balls were only sold there, nowhere else. In those days the manufacturers and the retailers were protected by that policy. When the market was opened up so that anyone could carry those products, the parachute was lost. There is no way that a physical store can compete straight up with some jerk selling on Ebay out of his garage. It's with those services that the stores can offer more than Joe Blow. If we as customers refuse to pay for that service, then we are the ones who will lose.

They just closed the store in my area. I don't see how it has stayed open for the last five years due to it being a ghost town every time I went there. I'm sure Dicks Sporting Goods on their left and Golfsmith on their right didn't help.

so I went in a few days ago. Had a 20% coupon and though to look at shoes again. Just not enough stock. Tried on a couple pairs that were worth the look and other than that didn't find anything to my liking. I did end up buying e6 balls with the coupon. So that was good. Although no yellow ones which is my preferred ball color but they did have u.s. flag logo ones and I like anything with the flag on it so I bought them. Just about 20 fat plus tax for a doz e6 - not bad with the coupon. Bought two boxes.

Back