Sun Mountain three 5 or Ping Hoofer?

Greg_10

Reaction score
Handicap
Has anyone owned both? They both get quality reviews but I can't decide which one to pull the trigger on. I narrowed it down to these two but can't pull the trigger yet so I figured I'd ask THPers for some advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've never had a Sun Mountain, but I've got a Ping Hoofer that I've had for at least 5 years and have had no issues with whatsoever. It doesn't look as pretty as it once did, but if I were to buy another bag, it would be a Ping.

The Three 5 is one of the lightest bags out there (3.6 lbs I believe). Sun Mountain makes a high quality bag, the best I have ever owned. I have friends who have the hoofer and they love it. You cant go wrong with either, but I am a Sun Mountain guy and if your plan is to carry I would recommend the Three 5.

Thanks guys. Your responses were my fears....both are great bags and you can't go wrong lol

I have both and like my hoofer better. More room for the clubs and it is built like it will last forever.

I've had a Sun Mountain that I've used since Christmas 2012 and freaking love it

I don't pack much when I walk, and I walk 90% of my rounds - still in great shape, super durable and light bag

The new 2015 Sun Mountain Three 5's are sexy...

I love and hate this thread - I cannot decide which bag to get.

I've seen the hoofer in the 150 price range online. That may be the deciding factor bc I like the 2015 three 5 colors but know they won't be dropping in price anytime soon. Not a fan of the older colors for the three 5.

Both are good bags. In my opinion I prefer the Sun Mountain bags over the PING but that is comparing the SM hybrid and Four -5 directly to the Hoofer. I think the legs and stand/bottom of the bag just seem to work better and the SM seems a bit more durable for cart use. That being said I've never used a three -5 but my shop did have the new Three 5 black series in and while it looked awesome, seemed a bit less durable than the 2014 Hoofer. So overall I prefer the Sun Mountain, but between the two I'd go with the Hoofer.

One final thought I forgot to mention - for me the problem I have always had with the Hoofer is that the grip ends of my irons get tangled up in the bottom of the bag and I am always having to shove them in or out. Just annoying from time to time. I think the four 5 and hybrid (which are 14 way dividers now have more room). My buddy has a 3.5 and the top looks huge, so maybe that problem doesn't exist.

Three Five here. Never owned a hoofer though. I use to carry so I bought it on the weight savings alone.

Very close call. I own both and give the nod to SM due to weight and superior leg/stand system (IMO)

Golfclubs.com has everything on sale right now (15% off + free shipping) including 2015 Three 5s, incase anyone is interested.

Just ordered one (Cobalt/Black) 169.99 out the door including free 2-day shipping :banana:. This is what happens when I can't sleep at 4:30AM...hoping my wife understands

Just ordered one (Cobalt/Black) 169.99 out the door including free 2-day shipping :banana:. This is what happens when I can't sleep at 4:30AM...hoping my wife understands

very nice, and good deal going on, i may have my Brother in law in SC order one of the bags for me to skip the NC taxes

Just got my three 5 in and it's awesome. I'm excited to use this and put my cart bag in storage for a while.

Used to go with trolley/cart bag.Bought three five early this year. Very happy. Great bag.

When I see a three five at a range I always think the colors are cool. When I see a hoofer I think class act. You win either way.

Back