Srixon Z F45 Fairway Wood, Z H45 Hybrid, and Z U45 Utility Preview

i wouldn't be so concerned with loft but more so gapping. At the top end of irons there is usually only a 2-3* gap in lofts anyways so 4* is above norm.

Yea but you just said you would be more concerned with gapping so loft would be irrelevant, wouldn't it?

Yea but you just said you would be more concerned with gapping so loft would be irrelevant, wouldn't it?

The gapping I would be concerned with is yardage gapping and not loft gapping. I don't want to get more than 10-15 yds in gap between my irons. So from my longest iron I look for something that will get me to that distance. I play the z545 4i(22*) which I hit a little over 190 and I hit my 5i(24*) 182ish. I then have a 3h which I have set at 19* and messing around with to see if I can go to 18* and then my 3w which i have at 15* the my driver set to 9.5. The bottom of my back with my pw - 58 is 44/49/53/58.

so the loft gapping isn't what matters just that I get the right distances.

Man I have been using the 3 wood off the tee instead of the driver and have been loving the results. Really wish I could find my driver again but I know the 3 wood has been pretty awesome.

The gapping I would be concerned with is yardage gapping and not loft gapping. I don't want to get more than 10-15 yds in gap between my irons. So from my longest iron I look for something that will get me to that distance. I play the z545 4i(22*) which I hit a little over 190 and I hit my 5i(24*) 182ish. I then have a 3h which I have set at 19* and messing around with to see if I can go to 18* and then my 3w which i have at 15* the my driver set to 9.5. The bottom of my back with my pw - 58 is 44/49/53/58.

so the loft gapping isn't what matters just that I get the right distances.

I totally agree with you on distance gapping being more important than loft gapping. I have a slower swing speed than most so I was thinking that I might get better gapping with more loft. I don't think 5 yards between clubs is enough to warrent carrying that particular club. I think swing speed can lead to one going with larger loft gaps to achieve the 10-12 yard club gap difference which seems to be the goal.

I totally agree with you on distance gapping being more important than loft gapping. I have a slower swing speed than most so I was thinking that I might get better gapping with more loft. I don't think 5 yards between clubs is enough to warrent carrying that particular club. I think swing speed can lead to one going with larger loft gaps to achieve the 10-12 yard club gap difference which seems to be the goal.

Agree 5 yds is to close. A little extra loft might help with the slower swing speeds. Just didn't want you to get tied down into a specific degree gap like 4* between each club.

I think the 23 utility will be a better 4 iron replacement than a 5 iron replacement.

I use my 20 degree as a hybrid/3 iron alternative

You can buy the AW and sw from rakuten.Com(Japan)

This is correct. Definitely 4 iron as opposed 5 distance wise. I get about the same distance (approx. 195) from the U45 23* as the 22* 4 iron. The U45 launches easier for me. Same shaft but I did go regular flex in the U45 and the 4 iron has stiff flex.

This is correct. Definitely 4 iron as opposed 5 distance wise. I get about the same distance (approx. 195) from the U45 23* as the 22* 4 iron. The U45 launches easier for me. Same shaft but I did go regular flex in the U45 and the 4 iron has stiff flex.

Do you think you could grip down on the utility 23° and have it cover two club (4 and 5 iron)distances for you?
I'm just curious what the distance difference is in your z545 5-iron and the 23° utility iron.

Last edited:
Do me the distance is about 10 - 12 yards between the two clubs. I have only had the U45 in play for a handful of rounds and have not had the need to choke down on it to take some distance off it yet. I typically don't have a problem doing it with other clubs so wouldn't think this one would be any different.

Just hit the shot of the year so far using the 4w. Par 5, 270 out and hit a laser that ended up on the fringe.

Last edited:
I'd like to bump this thread a bit, because I think while the irons have been getting some well deserved love, I haven't heard much about the fairways.

If you're in the market for a mid-sized fairway wood, you're doing yourself a disservice by not taking a look at the F45. I've loved having the 4W in the bag - great off the deck, and it's been my go-to when my driver is off.

Great bump. Just super underrated. The length I get off the deck is just insane. My playing partners always comment how soft the ball comes down. No issues hitting it off tight fairway lies at all

Nice bump. I opted for the u45 in 2* w/ctl(thanks jlukes for the recommendation on this) over the hybrid and love it. Easy to off the tee and the fwy.

the f45 is a great club too.

The u45 is the perfect club for after the 4 iron. Fits my gap much better than the hybrid and still super easy to launch.

I still have the h45 hybrid hybrid because it was a rocket launcher and I may bag it depending on the course. Unfortunately it just gives me too large a gap after the 4 iron

Played my u45 off the tee on most holes and was crushing it on all but one hole. Hit it on the approach shots and other than one hook played well.

like jukes said its a perfect fit gapping wise for my bag

I've got the Zu45 20* and 23* in the bag right now.. Sadly I've yet to hit the 23*, however I hit the 20* off every single par 4/5 tonight on the front 9 of my home course. With a bit of a bounce I was seeing anywhere in the realm of 240-265(once) yards which is silly long for a profile like this (for me).

Nice tight draw that seems to be consistent. I hit it out on the toe which generated some weaker distance and a harder left turn, but nothing that even left the fairway.

AMart hit it once on the second hole and definitely hit it thin which sounded painful. I thinned one on the 9th but still got the carry I was looking for. Hard to not be impressed with the SOLID feedback the head provides, and the compact design elements.

I'm definitely impressed. Surprised and impressed.

Love my 20* as it is the perfect gap filler after my 4 iron. The h45 19* is just stupid long and just gives me too big of a gap after the 4 iron

Now that I have ditched the heavenwood and gone with a 5 wood instead, the U45 23* fits perfect for me gap wise between the 5 iron and the 5 wood. Hit it about the same distance as the heavenwood with not as much launch. Never even considered removing the U45 from the bag as I hit it more consistently than I do a 4 iron and I have never gotten along with hybrids.

My 20* is just an easy fun club to hit off the tee and usually off the deck although last couple swings with it on the course were less than stellar. Glad I have this in the bag instead of a hybrid

The F45 remains a fun club to hit. I guess the only downside would be the black finish on the bottom - but given that my wear pattern is a LOT more consistent than it was on the 3W I had, I'll take it. I just love the sound it makes when you hit it pure.

For the folks playing the 545 iron set, do you find the U45 easier to hit than the 545 4i? I get the impression that the u45 is meant to gap more with the 745 set.

The F45 remains a fun club to hit. I guess the only downside would be the black finish on the bottom - but given that my wear pattern is a LOT more consistent than it was on the 3W I had, I'll take it. I just love the sound it makes when you hit it pure.

For the folks playing the 545 iron set, do you find the U45 easier to hit than the 545 4i? I get the impression that the u45 is meant to gap more with the 745 set.
I do find the 23* u45 a little easier to hit than the z545 4 iron. Despite it being 1 degree weaker, I also see about 5 more yards distance which puts me right in the middle of my 210 5W and 180 5i.

I have the 545 4i and love it and the 20* u45 isn't any harder to hit off the deck for me than the 4i. Off the tee the u45 is just so easy and I have less tendency to hook it compared to hybrid. The only issues i have had off the deck with u45 or 4i is when my ball position is off and/or i put a bad swing on it.

I have the 545 4i and love it and the 20* u45 isn't any harder to hit off the deck for me than the 4i. Off the tee the u45 is just so easy and I have less tendency to hook it compared to hybrid. The only issues i have had off the deck with u45 or 4i is when my ball position is off and/or i put a bad swing on it.

I do find the 23* u45 a little easier to hit than the z545 4 iron. Despite it being 1 degree weaker, I also see about 5 more yards distance which puts me right in the middle of my 210 5W and 180 5i.

Thanks guys, that's helpful. I'll probably keep the 4h in that spot, but has been toying with the idea of getting the 4i, and was wondering if the u45 would be a better idea.

Thanks guys, that's helpful. I'll probably keep the 4h in that spot, but has been toying with the idea of getting the 4i, and was wondering if the u45 would be a better idea.

I thought about this some more and was looking back on some conversations I had with some others about wilson staff and if I was to replace my 4i it would be with the u45 vice the hybrid.

I have the hybrid and love it. Good ball flight, phenomenal feel and very good distance. Haven't hit the u45 yet but I'm on the other side I guess

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the hybrid and love it. Good ball flight, phenomenal feel and very good distance. Haven't hit the u45 yet but I'm on the other side I guess

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How does the H45 compare to the 588 for you? I'm a huge fan of the 588 hybrid. I took a few swipes with it at the store, but not much more that that.

Back