What are you building? (Club style)

As soon as I can get a SeeMore Giant FGP into my hands, I'm going to modify my Original FGP for my son who will be turning 8 right around that time. Looking at US Kids golf specs for their putter for my son's height it appears that I should cut it to play at 30". I plan on taking a hack saw to it and installing one of the smaller Super Stroke grips on it for him. It currently has a flatso 1.1 on it and he's putted with it as it is (using it sort of like a counter balanced putter) and he liked it. His comments were that it was way easier than the putter that came in his Wilson Juniors set. I have a vice at home and was going to install the grip myself. I haven't installed a grip before, but have watched it done plenty of times and it seems pretty straight forward.

Any tips or suggestions on this? I'd like to touch up the black paint on it too, but have no idea what to use to keep it close to the original flat black finish.

Grip is easy peasy.

Double sided tape and WD40 is what I use. Spray the tape well. Spray up into the grip and shake it around. Pour out and excess and push it on. Hard. Don't go skimpy on the solvent.

Grip is easy peasy.

Double sided tape and WD40 is what I use. Spray the tape well. Spray up into the grip and shake it around. Pour out and excess and push it on. Hard. Don't go skimpy on the solvent.

Does the length and grip sound reasonable for an 8 year old that is round 55" tall and is steadily growing taller? I'm basing the 30" length off of US Kids putter length for kids 57" tall.

Just got this

image.jpg1_zpssu4upmsp.jpg

image.jpg2_zps4nah9sqt.jpg

To be reshafted with this

image.jpg3_zpsxayleluu.jpg

Does the length and grip sound reasonable for an 8 year old that is round 55" tall and is steadily growing taller? I'm basing the 30" length off of US Kids putter length for kids 57" tall.

Tough to say, but maybe you can just mark a spot on a putter and see how his posture is? I know the new putter I bought mine is too long for him just based on the way he's standing.

I've got some work to do soon. Mostly pulling shafts, probably reconnecting a few...

But I need ferules. bad. Time to hit up Cell-Parts for some fancy ones.

Not sure how their pricing shakes out, but I've bought from eBay the last couple times and have been very pleased with the selection. Prices were fine as well.

Love me some cell-parts, but only for irons who really deserve nice ferrules. Hahaha

Not sure how their pricing shakes out, but I've bought from eBay the last couple times and have been very pleased with the selection. Prices were fine as well.
Love me some cell-parts, but only for irons who really deserve nice ferrules. Hahaha

I'm the idiot that likes the fancy ones hahaha!

Definitely need to buy some cheap black ones for every day messing around.

I'm working on my first club tinker project: counterbalancing a putter. I've got it cut down to size, working on the butt end weighting, but the part I'm most worried about is putting on a new grip. Grip core is .580 (super stroke) and the shaft is .600 outside diameter, will the grip fit or do I need to look for a larger core grip? What kind of tape and solvent should I look at? Saw hawk say he uses wd-40, any benefit to actual grip solvent vs that?

I really want to get more active in building. Pondering a few machines that will help (SW scale, shaft puller) and allow me to do my own work.

Probably not going to save much money doing it, but I really enjoy club work so it's not a big deal. Also looking at ferrules, because being unique is fun.

1576.jpg

or

1561.jpg

Would look awesome with my preferred i-Lines!!

I really want to get more active in building. Pondering a few machines that will help (SW scale, shaft puller) and allow me to do my own work.

Probably not going to save much money doing it, but I really enjoy club work so it's not a big deal. Also looking at ferrules, because being unique is fun.

1576.jpg

or

1561.jpg

Would look awesome with my preferred i-Lines!!
Find a Roberts Puller on ebay. Best money Ive ever spent in club building

What is so good about the Roberts?
Hydraulic and price. Can usually be had for $125 or less. Hydraulic is the only way to go, ive had the mechanical Mitchell and it worked, but hydraulic is so much easier, especially with the more stubborn heads.

Its hydraulic. So easy to pull shafts. Much better than mechanical pullers.

This. Any hydraulic like puller is going to be very simple to use. You can find them on the bay for 150 often. Any lower than that and you're stealing.

Hey just a quick question for everyone that does this and or pays for it.

I am going to be upgrading to new irons and have a good family friend who loves golf and would like newer irons just cant really swing the $$ with new twins. He has expressed that he would really like my irons that I have right now just cant afford them. So I would like to give him my current irons only problem is he does have a decently fast SS (99-103 if i remember correct from last time we were at a LM together) The irons i have are reg flex graphite and I know he plays stiff, he's said it numerous times. I want to find some decent shafts and re-shaft them in stiff flex before I give them to him. How hard is it to pull shafts? I never have before (always taken them in and they have pulled for free). Or if i have the shafts and heads what kind of $$$ should i be expecting to pay to have someone do it? Thanks

Hey just a quick question for everyone that does this and or pays for it.

I am going to be upgrading to new irons and have a good family friend who loves golf and would like newer irons just cant really swing the $$ with new twins. He has expressed that he would really like my irons that I have right now just cant afford them. So I would like to give him my current irons only problem is he does have a decently fast SS (99-103 if i remember correct from last time we were at a LM together) The irons i have are reg flex and I know he plays stiff,he's said it numerous times. I want to find some decent shafts and re-shaft them in stiff flex before I give them to him. How hard is it to pull shafts? I never have before. Or if i have the shafts and heads what kind of $$$ should i be expecting to pay to have someone do it? Thanks

I just pulled a set of steel shafts the other day. You get a heat gun, sit there for a while, and then yank them out. Then take some sandpaper or something coarse to clean out the excess epoxy. Very very easy.

Lots of "How to" videos on installation, as it's a bit more and depends whether you're trying to match swing weight.

I just pulled a set of steel shafts the other day. You get a heat gun, sit there for a while, and then yank them out. Then take some sandpaper or something coarse to clean out the excess epoxy. Very very easy.

Lots of "How to" videos on installation, as it's a bit more and depends whether you're trying to match swing weight.

I don't have a shaft puller. So you are saying i can heat them and pull by hand?? Is pulling graphite any different than steel?

I don't have a shaft puller. So you are saying i can heat them and pull by hand?? Is pulling graphite any different than steel?

You can pull steel by hand, tons of videos on it. Completely different between steel and graphite. Graphite needs to be pulled because if it's twisted it can be compromised. There's a little more to it than just that, but that's my beginners take.

Completely different between steel and graphite.

Ok thanks man. Ill probably just have them professionally done then. Don't want to ruin anything by screwing it up myself on this.

It's not going to cheap fyi.

If it were me I'd just give him the irons as is. Having R flex iron shafts isn't going to hurt him.

Back