How important is a consistent pre-shot routine?

I have worked on this much more this season especially with playing much less than I have the past couple seasons. I found one that works and I am sticking with it. The only difference is with the putter my Pre shot with the flat stick is obviously a little different.

Not sure why I even bother, my practice swing as part of my routine is nothing like the real one with the ball in front of me...UGGGH

I was the same. I try now to aim at something even in my practice swings. It seems the transition to the real shot is easier perhaps that way?? At least for myself.

I get my yardage stand behind the ball, pick a spot in front of the ball to line up too. Dont take a practice swing but rock the club back with my shoulders twice about 2 feet behind the ball, then I go

For me it's pretty important. I take one practice swing, step behind the ball to determine an intermediary target, then step in, get aligned to the intermediary, double check, and fire away.

Per my golf instructor, I have a quick routine prior to my shots. Basically, look at the target, draw a line from the ball to the target...and pick a spot about 12 inches in front of the ball that lines up with the target, and setup on that.

I follow the same routine each time, with the exception of the number of practice swings (range from 1-3 depending on the read I get with each one).

Very.... Including my 5 practice swings before I hit a flop shot.

Always follow my routine set up for each and every shot. Helps me feel balanced and comfortable at address.

It is important to me. I use my one or two practice swings paying close attention to the turf, to make sure my alignment is correct. I do the same thing on every shot. I stand behind the ball to pick a spot a few feet in front of the ball as my target point to where I want the ball to land, then I address the ball and take two swings just inside the ball to make sure I'm lined up, and then I go. This all happens in a few seconds.

I have Butch Harmon's video and he goes into some detail on this, how to align the club, grip pressure how to ensure you're the correct distance from the ball, the importance of a "waggle." If you can get into this habit it doesn't take long to go through this routine. I have a tendency to "freeze" over the ball, especially off the tee going over my "swing thoughts" which causes me to tense up which is the last thing you want to be.

I think it's very important. It helps players overcome stressful situations and creates short term muscle memory.

Honestly I dont think its important at all. I think some believe it is, so just like with anything golf, the mental side of it can impact the game. But look at it like this, have you ever grabbed the putter and one handed one and watched it go in? Then the next hole, you walk around the putt, line up the arrows and go through the hole thing only to miss? It shows how little it matters, but golf is a game of overthinking and if it makes someone feel ready, then all of the power to them.

I've done the same pre shot routine for around 20 years. It's important to me as it involves me gripping the club and ensure's that the grip is correct.

walk up to ball, swing club, win

I think pre-shot thinking, as you approach your ball, is more important than any pre-shot routine - at least it is for me. When I was in college, ~50 years ago, I played regularly with an 83 year old man who regularly shot his age. He stepped up to the ball, waggled his club head for a second or two, and then swung. That was his pre-shot routine, a 2-second waggle. But he told me that as he walked to his ball he had the next shot all thought out. Loved playing with him.

Honestly I dont think its important at all. I think some believe it is, so just like with anything golf, the mental side of it can impact the game. But look at it like this, have you ever grabbed the putter and one handed one and watched it go in? Then the next hole, you walk around the putt, line up the arrows and go through the hole thing only to miss? It shows how little it matters, but golf is a game of overthinking and if it makes someone feel ready, then all of the power to them.

Lol, I'm better at putting and chipping one-handed than I am with two. It's my go to when all else fails.

I think pre-shot thinking, as you approach your ball, is more important than any pre-shot routine - at least it is for me. When I was in college, ~50 years ago, I played regularly with an 83 year old man who regularly shot his age. He stepped up to the ball, waggled his club head for a second or two, and then swung. That was his pre-shot routine, a 2-second waggle. But he told me that as he walked to his ball he had the next shot all thought out. Loved playing with him.

That makes a lot of sense. I do better when I walk up focusing on what I want to do vs thinking about what I don't want to happen. Maybe that's some of the value of a consistent routine, something positive to focus on rather than what disaster could occur.

How important is a consistent pre-shot routine?

My coach at GolfTec taught me to always take a practice swing. If I screw up the practice swing, take another. If I hit a bad shot, take a post-shot practice swing. The routine is ingrained in me now... The goal is to make a good practice swing and duplicate the tempo as I hit the ball.

I try to just take a few practice swings and simulate it for my actual swing. I just try to keep it simple and not let it get out of control with taking to much time.

I couldn't agree more with everything you wrote.

I'm fine as long as I can check yardage and take a few practice swings. I've never been able to hit the ball solid without a practice swing or two when changing between clubs of different lengths.

just had the best putting experience of my life just getting the line and letting it go. No practice swings, no over thinking, just remember the line and trying to get it there like i was playing mini golf (when i always hit putts). Also have started not even taking practice swings with my woods and irons and seeing some success. Not only does it keep me fresher in later rounds, but I think it kind of forces me to not have any swing thoughts. This is something new i've just started doing so too early to say it's better method for me...but so far so good.

Don't really have a fixed routine. Just make a couple of practice swings to get a feel for the length of the club, address the ball and pull the trigger.

Back