What would you do for this Tee shot ?

rollin

"Just playin golf pally"
Reaction score
Handicap
I like this hole. Not a long hole but that's what makes this tee shot interesting for choice is when combined with its annoying pimple right smack in the middle of the fairway. How often the average person does not hit down the middle when we try, yet amusingly we often find a way to be when its not desired lol.

I know this depends on our distances as individuals but I am wondering in general how you would play this tee shot. What would be your logic to play this hole? The reason I ask is because of that bunker dead center and for a not so long hole I think its an interesting one.

The markers also have approach distances.

The tee played (6374) is from one set in and is how we'll play this here.

The bunker (pimple) is fwiw raised hill and heavy rough surrounding. I (in normal weather conditions) drop the driver and play my 5wood here. My logic is "what am I gaining by risking the bunker&rough?" which can be pain in the butt on this hole. I can be about 125 out by dropping in early vs being 80 to 100 out and risking the bunker/rough. Of course there is some room left and right but as said its amazing how dead center we can sometimes be when not intended lol.
Anyway I was curious what your managing logic would have you do here on this tee? Do you take the extra yardage for the reward of a shorter approach? Imo the approach is very makeable anyway so why risk anything but thats just my logic for me, Imo it is regardless a pretty easy par hole so long as of course whatever you do is then executed and not in any trouble lol.

BTW, the approach is blind and only from the 284 mark can you see down the hill and the top of the flag. And the green is fairly flat.

of fairway.
charleston%20hole_zps3yok9eeh.jpg

3 wood just shot of that middle fairway bunker, PW or GW in.

23 degree hybrid off the tee for me.

#longknockerproblems

I'd hit driver.

No wind/wind in face, I'd go 4 iron/hybrid off the tee and then see what I'm left with for my 2nd shot.

Wind behind me, I'd pull driver and give the green a go.

I'd hit my Apex UT to just short of the bunker in the middle of the fairway. Hole is short enough to not need to mess with that or any other danger.

I can't reliably carry my driver 254, and from your description, it doesn't sound like someone can expect to have a ball land short and hop over the bunker. I'm playing something that goes 220 off of the tee to give me 130 in.

If the driver is working well, I'd hit a driver at the left side of the trap with my normal gentle draw.

If not, then it is the 20* U45 that should put me about 10 yards short of the bunker

Probably Hybrid off the tee to stay short of that bunker and a wedge onto the green and make the birdie putt!

Take dead aim at the trap and work the ball to one side or the other.

17° fw over the fairway bunker drawing off it. Theoretically lol

#longknockerproblems

I'd hit driver.

fwiw hawk, if one played the next forward tee you can minus 30 yards to everything and play from there. Would that give you choice?

3h, PW, putt, putt.

No wind/wind in face, I'd go 4 iron/hybrid off the tee and then see what I'm left with for my 2nd shot.

Wind behind me, I'd pull driver and give the green a go.

Had a feeling you (and perhaps some others) might be in that camp. lol

Depending on wind, I am hitting probably my 4 iron or 3 hybrid which should put me close to the fairway bunker. Like others said, that leaves me about 150 yards in and close enough that it is not worth messing with that bunker.

Since it's uphill I am rarely going to get to that bunker, so I am hitting driver.

Either 3w over the bunker or 4 iron short of it.

Edit: Depending on conditions and how I was hitting my driver, I may try to get it was close to the green as possible.

3 hybo, PW for me.

Had a feeling you (and perhaps some others) might be in that camp. lol

I just figure with wind behind me, I might be able to hit it far enough that I'd get lucky and have it bounce down the hill to the green.

Bunker in the middle of a fairway...ehhhh. I'd probably go 3 wood and aim it right at the bunker, hopefully using my right to left shape.

4w between the traps, whatever wedge is required next and go from there

Since it's uphill I am rarely going to get to that bunker, so I am hitting driver.

Its not really much uphill. Just a slight incline but just that it then drops down significantly after those second bunkers and skinny fairway piece.

Back