What's the worst piece of advice?

Trout Bum

Regional Rival
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
We've had a thread on the best advice we've gotten, so I figured I'd start one about the worst advice you've gotten about golf?

Mine was grip it tight and swing hard, could have been the best advice too lol, I learned from it.

Grip it and rip it.

Grip it and rip it.

Funny because for some people that is the best advice. They concentrate on soo many different things on the tee that it screws them up.
And if they just let go and Grip it and rip it they play better.

What's the worst piece of advice?

Which ever one someone gives you that has no idea about your swing or what your instructor is having you do. Not that its the worst piece but just that its the most annoying one when they are trying to be convincing or pushy about it.

Unsolicited.

I'm not sure there's bad advice so much as advice that lacks context. Keep your head still is about the worst advice out there, I think. Not because keeping your head still is bad, but because thinking about keeping your head still or down is asking for tension in your neck and shoulders that will produce exactly the sorts of shots that the advice was meant to avoid.

"You should try the JPX EZ set.....they're money". Horrible sticks IMO. The 800's I gamed for a short time were 10 times better.

"Use the cheapest balls you can find. You're going to lose them anyway."

I was actually told that by a playing partner, many moons ago.

Here are a few for me.

Dont buy a tour van.
Dont start hosting events.
The Morgan Cup just does not move the needle.

Here are a few for me.

Dont buy a tour van.
Dont start hosting events.
The Morgan Cup just does not move the needle.

Hahahahaha yeah about that.

All advice I've ever been given from anyone NOT a teaching pro! All of it was unsolicited, of course. Not saying that "pros" can't be wrong either, as I've seen a bunch that gave bad advice, but the "Average Joe" has no clue on the intricacies of the swing and how it relates to body-types and natural moves/abilities.

"You should put your finger down the shaft when you putt for stability"

+ a zillion!

+1

(I try to keep this to my cousin and my two best golfing friends from work and to only the most completely obvious fixes)

"Throw your hands at the ball".

Got it from an otherwise great instructor during an effort to add clubhead speed, but boy did it give me a wicked case of the hooks (predictably) for a few months.

Use a 32-33 inch putter because it forces you to stoop down and you can see the ball better. -some salesman at GG

Point the butt of the club beyond the ball on the backswing to flatten out your plane for better contact. That one cost me years.

"Keep your left arm straight.". This has caused me a world of hurt...but dammit my left arm stays straight.

"keep your head down". I used to golf with a guy that will tell this to everyone in his group...on every hole! That is the primary reason I used to golf with him!

Keep your head down/still and anything from most guys on the range or course who aren't a teaching pro

Definitely Keep Your Head Down. My father in law still blames all his poor shots on that one.

"Keep your left arm straight.". This has caused me a world of hurt...but dammit my left arm stays straight.

I'm being tought this one at the minute! Just doesn't work for me, I've tried....honest I have!!

I don't think there is bad advise as much as there is bad delivery. Keep your head down is a great tip when built around the proper flaw. Throw your hands at the ball is a great tip in context with other pieces added.

Throwing out tips you've heard or offering what worked for you once is the norm and really does more harm then good.

They said “use neutral grip”, while “correcting” my neutral grip to a very weak grip. (´◉◉`;)

Back