What's the worst piece of advice?

Get a net! Before I started golf and was looking at clubs was planning to wait until I got Social Security so I could afford to play and go to range. Gentleman at shop said to get a net. Soon bought clubs and net and hit a lot of balls. By the time I got to the driving range had grooved this banana slice that I'm still fighting. The net did help me start sooner but may have made it harder.

"You should marry that stripper."

Oh, golf advice? Definitely "keep your head down".

An anchored belly putter will improve your putting.

"You should marry that stripper."

Oh, golf advice? Definitely "keep your head down".

did you marry her?

seriously, I had a lot of advices that could be good for some other people, but not applicable for my swing flaws.

did you marry her?

seriously, I had a lot of advices that could be good for some other people, but not applicable for my swing flaws.

Haha no, the advice was actually not directed at me. But the guy it was directed towards didn't marry her.

"Keep your left arm straight.". This has caused me a world of hurt...but dammit my left arm stays straight.

When I clicked on this thread, this one and the old "keep your head down" are the two that seem to have bitten me the hardest. They basically killed my follow through during the critical "swing formation" years and I've been short ever since.

"Keep your left arm straight.". This has caused me a world of hurt...but dammit my left arm stays straight.

LOL - my golfing partners say I have the straightest left arm in the world... that was great when I was young and highly flexible and before shoulder issues popped up. Still have the straightest left arm around, but limited flexibility now, and if I try to relax that left arm, all hell breaks loose!

I kinda gave the advice to myself, but it has to have been "swing for power".

We've had a thread on the best advice we've gotten, so I figured I'd start one about the worst advice you've gotten about golf?

Mine was grip it tight and swing hard, could have been the best advice too lol, I learned from it.

That mats and nets are good.......:beat-up:

"Don't buy those Pro V1X balls unless you can par every hole. You should play the Nike Mojo like me. I just had a PB of 95." Sports Authority salesman. So hard to stand there and not bust a gut.

It isn't the worst advice, but I roll my eyes whenever somebody starts with, "Hogan said..."

I kinda gave the advice to myself, but it has to have been "swing for power".
This is me. Too often I suggest to myself that "maybe I should put a little extra oompf into this one."

This isn't advice but the worst/most uninformed golf related thing I heard...

A gentlemen asked the sales person at sports authority what the Callaway equivalent to the proV was and the response was "Warbird".

My first, and to this date only golf lessons were with a highly rated golf pro here in town...

He taught that everything was releasing the wrists. I'd hit balls for an hour in front of him. If it had a draw (or even hook) shape, it was a good shot (irregardless of anything else), and if it was straight, a fade, or slice, it was a mistake.

I was turning my wrists over so hard at the top of my downswing that my wrists started to hurt after awhile. I signed up to cure a driver slice. By the end of the 3rd lesson I was either a bigger slice than when I started, or I was hooking the ball into the ground 50 yards in front of me.

Everyone in town loves this guy. Super nice guy. But, if anything I was significantly worse after 3 hours of lessons (never went back for the 4th lesson I prepaid for).

Now, 6 months later, I play a draw, without ever having to consciously release my wrists.

Keep your head down.

Worst piece of advice given considering a person who can't keep their head down has a flawed swing.

Just do what I do.

Back