I Have A Confession - Golf Balls & Putting

JB, It just might be more in my mind but there are notable differences to me depending on upon temps that I'm playing in, some balls just seem to take less to go the distance. I understand the part about feeling dead as I have felt that in some balls played from the same package. If you read the part where I've been removing half the cover on some golf balls and the difference found under that cover, either that or just my impressions from it make me think there is a difference.

Sometime I notice a difference in sound between different balls, but it could just be the stroke I make instead of the ball itself. Can't say that I have ever noticed much of a performance difference though.

I am glad you, JB, posted something about this because I always wondered about it. I always see comments about feel and putting with a different ball but I never can tell the difference either. I can maybe hear a difference with the sound coming off the putter but I thought I was the minority when it came to actually noticing a difference in actual ball "performance" when putting.

Some of them have nicer line up markings printed on them!

Every time a new ball comes out I read about how people struggle with the different feel/performance off the putter or are looking for a certain something off the putter. As many know I am a big believer in ball fitting and/or finding the right ball for the individual and I think feel and performance should be a factor.

But clearly in the online world I am in a huge minority because I am not sure I have ever noticed a difference with balls and putting. I believe I have tested every single ball that has come to market over the last few years+ and hundreds of putters at hundreds of courses and have never noticed a single difference in putting with golf balls.

There it is...My confession.

You are definitely not alone here. The only difference I can ever notice is sometimes the way it sounds. But that doesn't bother me either way.
I can putt badly with any ball out there...

I definitely see a difference with some balls, not all, when putting. I used to play the TM TP Black/Red golf balls. The Black was more "clicky" in both feel and sound while the Red was a very soft feeling ball. The big difference was the fact that the Red would seem to explode off the putter face; distance control was much more difficult. I see that same phenomena today with the likes of the Callaway SuperSoft. There are just some balls that require a "gentler" stroke.

I don't think I've noticed a difference in performance, but I do know that I notice a difference in sound/feel. I have a preference but they all seem to go where you aim 'em.

Switching balls has never effected my putting as far as distance control. Some feel a little bit different at contact but never have I felt that I was gaining or losing putting control. So I'm right there with you JB!

I've rolled every golf ball on the market and gamed a great many. Yes I admit I have heard a "click" from time to time but nothing concrete. I have never, I repeat never rolled one ball longer than another. I have never had a ball explode off the face of my putter. I am 32 years with a club in my hand at every level and if you can feel the difference in balls off your putter face, I have a safe I need cracked.:alien2:

Performance wise, can't say I notice a difference and maybe not scientifically do I notice a difference in sound, but I feel like I do. Rather that's pre-perceived or not, I have no idea.

Every time a new ball comes out I read about how people struggle with the different feel/performance off the putter or are looking for a certain something off the putter. As many know I am a big believer in ball fitting and/or finding the right ball for the individual and I think feel and performance should be a factor.

But clearly in the online world I am in a huge minority because I am not sure I have ever noticed a difference with balls and putting. I believe I have tested every single ball that has come to market over the last few years+ and hundreds of putters at hundreds of courses and have never noticed a single difference in putting with golf balls.

I can, both in terms of feel (sound) and performance. Balls would have to be very similar for me not to tell the difference. It's actually because of this reason that I don't change or experiment with balls too often. A different golf ball throws my putting and chipping off, unless they are very similar. I wonder if different putting strokes have an effect on the feel and performance of golf balls? Perhaps it's not just the golf ball? Or perhaps I'm delusional :)

I cant say I notice a difference in ability to roll the ball or distance control but the sound/feel I for sure think there is a difference between balls. Part of the is also the putter. I like a more muted sound off the putter.

how interesting. i have putted with cheap balls and expensive balls, and i feel like there is a huge difference. soft and spongy on the premium balls, hard as rocks on the cheap balls. i wonder how much of that is perception, and how much is reality...

I Have A Confession - Golf Balls & Putting

I can certainly tell a difference when it comes to cheap balls, I can't stand the high pitch click of a cheap ball off the Putter. And by cheap ball I mean Pinnacle, not a non urethane ball.

But beyond that it doesn't bother me in the least.

Says the man I last saw playing an orange rock!! LOL or was that a Ram?

I believe I have tested every single ball that has come to market over the last few years+ and hundreds of putters at hundreds of courses and have never noticed a single difference in putting with golf balls.

I'm with you there JB. I have never said "that doesn't feel right" about putting with a particular ball.

You aren't alone here. At all.

You aren't alone here. At all.

Definitely in the minority. Im pretty amazed.
I was with the shaft test too, so we did a full on test with it.

Definitely in the minority. Im pretty amazed.
I was with the shaft test too, so we did a full on test with it.

Yep yep, I remember the shaft test well. It opened my eyes a bit.

I'm the big proponent of sound is feel on putters, but to me with hundreds of putters and hundreds of different balls it ALWAYS comes back to the putter and not the ball. It never fails. But, you're right, we're def a minority it would seem reading through some of the ball threads.

The other thing I have NEVER understood was the distance difference claim off the putter. Again, hundreds of putters and hundreds of balls, it's always the putter and not the ball.

Interesting. I am certain I hear tonal difference between balls. I think I perceive feel differences, though that could just be the sound (or nothing at all). I am not sure about performance...too many variable, most notably me.

I putted the other day with a Callaway Super Soft ball, and maybe it was just the conditions, but the ball "felt" soft coming off the putter head. Maybe it was the lack of a "click." So far that has been the only ball I've experienced this with.

I agree. I have been through a couple of ball fittings, and I want my ball to work for me on full swings. In putting, there is no doubt some difference in "feel" which of course is all sound based on construction and cover, but I have no issues putting with any type of ball although they can sound a little different.

I am a huge "audible" guy

I remember when I switched form the Srixon Zstar XV to the Bridgestone B330 in the middle of last year. The first thing I noticed was the different sound off of the putter

The Bridgestone was a more muted, lower tone, while the ZStar XV was higher pitched with a bit more "click" to it

I'm gonna be honest, I didn't hear a difference.

The only thing I can say is there have been times I've "felt" a difference in different balls on the same putter, but honestly it could have all been in my head!

I know for a fact that the ball sounds different off of my putter if I don't hit the sweet spot exactly. That I can notice. I'm not sure it matters what ball I use though. I don't hit the sweet spot perfectly every time to be able to tell.

I will say that the Supersoft felt/sounded like a "super ball" off the putter to me! I literally putted my son's super ball at home and it felt ALMOST identical! All others I've tried did not have that feel/sound.

Back