What new tip have you learned lately that has helped your game?

And this is a great example of why golf is great. The same end result (clearing the hips) but attacked from completely opposite sides. And both ways can work. It's all about the individual.

Dead on dude same principal but different thoughts, he told me another way to think about it but I forget cause I found what is working for me at the moment.

There is also a reasoning he had in why one works vs the other but in the end it doesn't matter just the fact that we found the one that does.

It is also interesting reading these , and i also have a quick question ? Is it me , or does it seem like the simplest tip ( ball position / head back .. Etc) really does wonders . When the massive tips like hold upper body back / fire hips / left shoulder low/ release /. Etc . Are so difficult and may be a tip you think you are doing but not actually doing ..
I must be old fashion but simple is very effective ... IMHO . The others are just too difficult unless you have a qualified eye watching you

i do ( spelling :( late night ) enjoy the tips from Fred .. Now those are ones we can all do easily

Mine was being told to make a 45* shoulder turn but only a 11* hip turn. I guess I'm a math guy because that resonated with me and I almost instantly eliminated fat shots. Restricting hip rotation has been a pre-swing thought ever since.

I clicked on this subject just to see if anyone would mention hip rotation and low and behold it was on the second post. Restricting my hip rotation has had the single greatest impact on my game in a long time.

It's a thought I suppose but firing the that left hip behind me is the start of my downswing, before my hip would get ahead of the left foot then snap back to above the left foot,

Now firing that left hip back I'm posting and turning on my lead(left) leg
That movement cue has also helped me make a level hipturn on the downswing. I used to have a ton of hip tilt on my downswing. I've worked on that all winter.

As posted previously, my swing thoughts vary according to my last problem. When I find a fix for the problem, that goes in my swing thought, until the next golf monster rears its ugly head. Sometimes it's for a month, maybe just a week.

Right now, it is keep nose pointing behind the ball at address, until swing is finished.

Jack

In my lesson last Friday, the tip my pro gave me was that the only point in the swing that both arms are equally extended is after impact, not at impact. Like throwing a baseball, the arm isn't fully extended at release but after release. So he had me setup my grip with both arms fully extended at that point without turning my right shoulder (the back shoulder for RH swing) forward then pulling back to address the ball. This kept my hands and wrist closer together at address and throughout the swing and also (quite surprisingly to me) created the lag in my downswing that I've been searching for.

I have to say that I have been struggling a bit with consistency lately. I came across a THP thread dealing with maintaining spine angle and BOY did this get me back on track instantly.

My constant back pain sometimes gets me into some bad habits, and I realize that I've been losing my spine angle a bit lately.

The most effective tip for me was being told by a pro to turn my wrists first thing on my down swing. This is WAY too early to turn over but the reason I was slicing was very little to do with swing path and mostly because I couldn't close the face in time. After hooking the ball repeatedly, it was a lot easier to fix turning over too early than trying to square the face through force of will.

This is not a complete tip. It will actually cause problems down the road but when combined with hip work (to ensure better swing path), I was finally able to control a nasty slice.

And, even if it causes problems down the road, there is something nice about stopping a slice in less than ten minutes of lessons.

I've been struggling with grip. Teachers keep grabbing my hands and forcing them into awkward positions without explaining why so I naturally revert back to why I've used. Then I saw this video that explains everything in detail and it just sorta makes more sense now. The vee on the right hand is to let the club hitch back at the top.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alnKPz3GVEE

I stupidly over think things. In particular, I confuse myself about the path on backswing.

Freddie had a tip / explanation about letting the left thumb stays on top during the takeaway, then you let the right elbow bend. My iron play improved pretty immediately and dramatically. And because it is something that resonates with me and I can visualize it, it is an easy spot check on the course if things start to go south.

Just have fun. Scores started to drop when I did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One tip that resonated with me I saw on the Golf Channel of all places last week. You have your target line - now most of us know to pick a spot between the target and our ball to make sure we are lined up at address properly.

However, the tip here was to imagine a post or pole ~5 yards in front of the ball, sitting on the target line. Imagine getting the ball to go slightly right of the post. This helped me immensely (especially with driver) when it came to turning too quick on the downswing, which resulted in pulls/pull hooks/slicing (ie. coming across the ball). It also helped with my release. It sounds silly but it's working great for me.

I was working at the range today and my swing key was keeping my left bicep close to my chest. This helps me stay connected and I was booming the ball off the tee and striking my irons very solid. It keeps my swing tighter and allows me to use my large muscles.

Hover the ball with the club from the putter to the driver. Jack never grounded his club. Putting tip was the prayer drill, it's amazing.

My big one, that I tend to forget about from time to time (and consequently leads me to struggle with a hook) is letting my left arm me the dominant one in the swing.

My right arm always wants to take over (I'm not sure if it's like that for all righties, or if it's bc my hockey background led me to take countless thousands of slapshots with my right arm dominating), and leads me to cut my follow through short.

Im not sure why I resist letting my left arm dominate. I think it instinctively feels like you can't generate power that way.

Using your body to square the club into impact, not your hands, and then to trust it. If you quit at the last second you'll have horrific results. If you trust it, you'll hit the ball very solid.

Took the tip to the course yesterday (focusing on the right quadrant of the ball) and wow I loved the results... High flight and great control.

When I got "lazy" and forgot to do so I chunked a few and bladed one....

Tap tap taparoo

Make the game easier. Doesnt have to be pretty. I was struggling with chipping from tight lies last year and some guy named Hawk suggested I try just using a putting stroke with a 7 or 9 iron depending on distance and it was immediate results for me. Doesnt have to be pretty to be good. Changed my confidence around the greens.

Playing golf is a different animal than practicing golf. But one thing both have in common is impacting the ball with a square club face is all that matters in the swing.

It took me 9 holes today to get the clutter of thoughts out of my head and focus on that one thing. Shot 6 strokes better on the back 9.
My dad, once a scratch golfer, gave me this tip today. It's so obvious to me I can't believe I didn't think of it myself.

The path the club takes to that impact zone may well be a little different from swing to swing. But it's always out there and if I can feel that path before taking that one swing, the end result of that one swing will likely be good. Then I start over again. Each swing is its own entity.

It's not conventional for sure but I like the idea of breaking up the golf round into individual strokes. It's not unlike pitching. Each pitch is its own entity and when it's done it's done.

This video finally helped me realize what I was doing wrong on the backswing, and let me figure out a really easy checkpoint for my takeaway to know that I was on the right path in the backswing.

[video=youtube;Z-s99Jlq0Mc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-s99Jlq0Mc[/video]

This really helped me out. I just played three straight rounds solid rounds and even had a 40 on one nine for the first time. This tip helps me stay on plane and I'm hitting my irons much more crisply. Thank you for posting.

Skip a rock

Lift the left heel off the ground on the backswing and start the downswing with planting it. It makes a good weight transfer and fuller turn easy.

Back