Top Flite Gamer Soft

clayrhye

Reaction score
Handicap
Played this ball alongside the Chrome Soft, the E6 (2013) and the Pro V1x (2013). I am not the best golfer in the world, but the Gamer Soft performed about the same to me as the Chrome Soft. I was impressed. In terms of greenside spin, the e6 was a bit behind the other 3. Has anyone else tried the gamer softs? If so, what were your opinions?

I haven't tried that one but the gamer has been a very solid, underrated ball IMO that you can find REAL cheap

Played this ball alongside the Chrome Soft, the E6 (2013) and the Pro V1x (2013). I am not the best golfer in the world, but the Gamer Soft performed about the same to me as the Chrome Soft. I was impressed. In terms of greenside spin, the e6 was a bit behind the other 3. Has anyone else tried the gamer softs? If so, what were your opinions?

The Gamer Soft and the e6 are of similar construction. Low compression golf balls that are multilayer with a surlyn cover. The Wilson Duo Spin would fit in there as well. The Chrome Soft has a urethane cover that will offer more spin.

I think some are not sure what to make of Top Flite anymore since the brand was purchased by Dick's Sporting Goods.

I have a 9 handicap and use the Top Flite Gamer and Gamer Soft exclusively. They perform extremely well in all conditions. Very durable. When you compare prices with high end balls, it is a no brainer in my opinion. I have tried all the high end balls and the price differential isn't worth the minimal performance difference. Just as you adjust your game to playing conditions, you can adjust your game to these balls.

I found the Gamer to be an excellent ball for the pricepoint, although I haven't tried the Gamer Soft. I do find that the e6 performs better overall in comparison, but the entire Gamer line are a great value as you can often find them on sale at DSG.

I really like the chrome soft, but I'm not sure the extra cost is justified for my game.

I played the Gamer before and found it to be a pretty unremarkable ball. Supersoft and Duo both perform better in that price range for me.

I will state that the gamer V2 that I used and liked quite a bit was from before the Dick's take over. Not sure how much they have changed

I have a box of Gamer Softs and find that they spin a lot more off of the driver than the Chrome Soft and definitely more than the e6. Not as soft as the Chrome Soft, but obviously softer than the e6. IMO, Chrome Soft is a much better ball.

Last edited:
I will state that the gamer V2 that I used and liked quite a bit was from before the Dick's take over. Not sure how much they have changed

I really liked the Gamer V2...the Gamer Softs don't seem to perform the same way, although I heard it was the same ball...

This was my first round with the chrome soft and the gamer soft. Im looking forward to comparing them more in the future. For my game, the chrome soft just may not be worth the price difference.

This was my first round with the chrome soft and the gamer soft. Im looking forward to comparing them more in the future. For my game, the chrome soft just may not be worth the price difference.

The Duo or Supersoft would probably be a more apples to apples comparison.

I could see that with the surlyn covers. I didn't mean to come off that I thought it would compare to the chrome soft. Just noticed in my round yesterday that the performance difference for my game may be fairly minimal.

I could see that with the surlyn covers. I didn't mean to come off that I thought it would compare to the chrome soft. Just noticed in my round yesterday that the performance difference for my game may be fairly minimal.

I have 2 dozen Gamer Soft's. I played 9 with the soft and liked it a lot. Looking to try the Duo Spin, Maxfli U3's and the Gamers and see if one can be my ball for the forseable future.

Mark Shuman

I bought the 16 version of the Gamer Soft at Golf Galaxy on a 3 for $40 based off very good reviews off the web and I REALLY like it so far. The feel is great. It isn't quite marshmallow soft like the Supersoft, but has a distinctly soft feel.

Based off a single round today I'd estimate it has as good or better green side spin than other surlyn balls I've played. Spin, again based off the small sample, appears better than the E6 / Supersoft for sure and similar to the DT Trusoft.

I'm sure the major part of it was my swing today, but I also hit 7/16 fairways all with driver and with good distance. The ones I missed did not miss by much with the exception of one that was a push slice and ended up in someone's back yard.

Dave

Last edited:
Bringing a thread back from the dead !

I just went through two dozen of the newer gamer tours and loved them. I haven't tried the softs but I would highly recommend the tour!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Flite gamer is a great ball. I also like the Wilson duo.

Last edited:
I've played with the Top Flite Gamer Soft enough now to say this is my ball. So far with it I've shot 42, 43, 46, 43, and 42. I usually average about 45. Distance with woods is good, distance with irons is also quite good, and I even managed to spin back a 9 iron tonight on an uphill green.

I've lost 3 out of my 3 dozen so far so these should last a while.

I'd prefer to play an American manufactured golf ball, but these are working great for me. The NXT S may be another option, but I hesitate to change.

Dave

Last edited:
I just put the Gamer Soft's into play in June, and I really LOVE this ball. I am kind of a ball snob in the fact that I will only play one type of ball for an entire season... I was using Bridgestone B330s this season, Srixon ZStar XVs last season, Bridgestone E6s two seasons back, and Callaway HX Bites for a couple seasons before that. Of course there was always the occasional sleeve or dozen Pro V's or higher end "tryout" balls, and the very rare occasional found balls (usually only on a throw-down-and-hit-again practice shot - told you, I'm a ball snob). When I was using the HX Bites I got my handicap down to a 9 and played very well. I put on some weight since then and I'm not sure if it was that or the balls I was playing but went up to a 13 for the longest time. Lost some weight again and have been swinging well again. I put the Gamer Softs in play and have been consistently hitting fairways and greens. I have been playing an average of 1 ball per 36 holes this season so I'm definitely keeping everything in front of me and playing smart. Again, I'm not sure if it's the ball or my weight and swing, but the ball certainly isn't causing any issues! I feel like the ball stops as good as any others I have used on the greens, if anything maybe it helps my game since I use anything from a 7 iron to a 56* wedge depending on the shot - I rather my chips to role more like a putt than fly it to the hole. As far as length, I am one full club longer with this ball than the Bridgestone B330s, and that is a side-by-side comparison that I have done several times in the past month. I feel like I was longer with the HX Bites way back when as well, but I don't care about distance as long as I get a consistent number from each club and can keep the ball in play.

I am now a Top Flite believer, and for the price am very very pleased.

Back