Odyssey Works "Big T" V-Line CS Putter - THP Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really liked my V-Line, and I really like my Sabertooth W/B/W....so this is sort of at combo of the two thing I like most about them. I haven't had a center shaft putter in a number of years, but I was never against it. Lots to love about this offering from Odyssey. Beautiful putter for sure and great grip. I'd love to give this a roll.

The Big T is an interesting take, I actually think I'd game that over the V-Line.

Thoughts from time with the V-Line CS during review:

The V-Line head is one of the best mallet shapes out there IMO. I said it when I reviewed the Tank Cruiser V-Line, and I'm saying it now. The overall shape itself lends itself to easing alignment to the target, it just does, its a combo of the "V" shape as well as the beveling on the flange. I'm not a mallet guy, but this is a great shape for Odyssey.

The "Big-T" scheme...now, I have been one of THE most critical of Odyssey and the two tone paint since they intro'd the Versa scheme. Fact is, up close the quality of the stripe on the putters (whit or black depending on model) just was lacking for what I expect out of Odyssey PERSONALLY. Many loved and love it, but even with the Works models I was underwhelemed. So when this came in for review, I was super hesitant being completely honest, even having seen the hi-res pics. Well, unboxing changed that tune, I've mentioned it a good bit in here but I am again, the finish of the white "T" is really really nice, I think the matte and pearlescent qualities helped a ton there honestly, but it stands up when you get it up close and I couldn't say that about the Versa models. Its a personal thing, but there it is.

The T alignment works in this model/shape, and as a center shaft. It gives solid face angle and down the line feedback, I've been all over the cup in the 27 holes with it so far, its just pace acclimation right now as with any new putter.
The Works insert is solid, its taking the best putter insert out there, and tweaking it in a way that will appeal to more traditional odyssey users than the original MX insert did (even though it too was metal over insert), in this case the thin mesh gives some added audible feedback and the roll is true off of it for sure, I have had no noticable skidding, which is the point. Pace is an acclimation thing, and trusting it was an issue today, but by the last 9 I was out there I was really hunting the cup.
Great balance in the design, it works through the stroke really well, even at the mallet size it doesn't feel cumbersome at all.

THANK YOU ODYSSEY FOR RELEASING A CS MODEL. I know its against what you aid, but IMO there is a market there, and frankly the contrast of the Big-T with the center shaft position works really really well, so I'm not shocked to see a CS model. IMO, it sets up better than the double bend version of the V-Line. It and the #7 just make really solid CS putters.

The black shaft is a great aesthetic addition to the overall package and adds to allowing a TON of contrast with the white Big-T against the black shaft and head.

The grip, its a SS 3.0. Its a good grip many like a lot, and the black red odyssey scheme on it looks great. BUT, I don't know why the 3.0 has to be the stock grip size, to me, the 2.0 would have been a really great compromise for everyone, BUT I know this is TOTALLY PERSONAL. Just a thought though.

If there is anything in particular you'd like me to take a look at or know more about, please feel free to post up!

As I mentioned, these were my initial thoughts that I had to hold back for a bit, testing has since been completed, but they still merit going up IMO.

Once again you were right James. That #5 (330M type of head) is right up my alley. I can't wait to get my hands on this one.

Once again you were right James. That #5 (330M type of head) is right up my alley. I can't wait to get my hands on this one.

TOLD YOU!

I just couldn't TELL you!

They tweaked the shape for this application and IMO it looks badass. I'm not a double bend ind of guy, but I could roll the hell out of that one I think.

The #5 looks like $$$$. Even though I just put a new putter in the bag last night, the #5 will be getting a fair shot at making the bag. The fact that the SS 3.0 comes stock just makes it even more awesome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big T blade.....oh my that looks intriguing as hell to me.

I will have the #5 with a black shaft in the bag come next week & promptly sell it to Mike G two weeks later when I get bored.

FIFY

This line of putters intrigues me like no other Odyssey's have in the past. The Works V-Line was growing on me, but these are in a different category.

I'm a CS devotee, but the Big T Blade really has my attention as well. It reminds me of Stacy Lewis's TaylorMade that shy strokes so well.

This line of putters intrigues me like no other Odyssey's have in the past. The Works V-Line was growing on me, but these are in a different category.

I'm a CS devotee, but the Big T Blade really has my attention as well. It reminds me of Stacy Lewis's TaylorMade that shy strokes so well.
FWIW, and I know for some it's not worth much, this one is staying in my bag. I waited until I finished the review but actually ran and got a new SS grip for it so I can extend it finally this weekend.

The alignment works, and the finish is a ton better than when the versa schemes first rolled out. A ton.

Big T blade.....oh my that looks intriguing as hell to me.
I immediately thought about you when I got the info on it.

TOLD YOU!

I just couldn't TELL you!

They tweaked the shape for this application and IMO it looks badass. I'm not a double bend ind of guy, but I could roll the hell out of that one I think.

isn't the #5 a single bend?

isn't the #5 a single bend?
Perhaps, all I know is its a bend, and I'm not big on them either way. At all.

But, I could make an exception this time.....maybe.

I immediately thought about you when I got the info on it.

And it would look killer with the new THP cover on it! June 12th will be here before we know it. Wonder if I see any at Callaway HQ next week? :)

FWIW, and I know for some it's not worth much, this one is staying in my bag. I waited until I finished the review but actually ran and got a new SS grip for it so I can extend it finally this weekend.

The alignment works, and the finish is a ton better than when the versa schemes first rolled out. A ton.

All styles come stock with 3.0 Slim?

Please, oh please, make a V-Line CS Tank.

Squeaky wheel, and all that.
I think we were just fortunate to get a CS model honestly since they had been adamant prior there were no plans for one in 2015

Order through Odyssey, all sorts of options typically. I'm not a fan of the 3.0 choice either and even point it out in the review as those who actually read it will see when it goes up, but in the end, much like with my complaint on the mini 1.5 it's a grip and an easy fix.

I am digging that #5

Order through Odyssey, all sorts of options typically. I'm not a fan of the 3.0 choice either and even point it out in the review as those who actually read it will see when it goes up, but in the end, much like with my complaint on the mini 1.5 it's a grip and an easy fix.

I agree, but like that color scheme and hope a 2.0 is available just like that. Easy fix for sure, but color combo is what I'm after.

I agree, but like that color scheme and hope a 2.0 is available just like that. Easy fix for sure, but color combo is what I'm after.
I just bought a sweet red and black SS 2.0 for mine that matches perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back