KellyBo

Golf, Have Fun or Quit!
Reaction score
I'm in the market for a 60* wedge and I'm considering buying a lower bounce (maybe 8) to use in difference circumstances. My SW is a 56/12. I think some of the ways I could benefit are as follows:

• wet sand
  • downhill pitch shot
  • tight lies

Opinion(s)?

I do exactly that Kelly and it's a setup I like very much.

I actually use it as my sand club exclusively because through trial and error I found that I don't need or want a bouncy sand wedge. Very versatile golf club for me.

I used to play a 60/4 wedge with your basic premise in mind. It worked when I used the club for its intended purposes. I'd forget about bounce occasionally, use the club in a different situation and get hurt by lack of bounce. I moved to a variable sole type lob wedge and find it does everything you listed and more.

I would agree. As long as you don't play out real powdery sand the lower bounce is a great option.

I have a 58/7 and have no problems in any conditions with it. Since bounce has as much if not more to do with how you swing your wedges as to the conditions you're playing in, if you usually take a big divot with your wedges, a low bounce might not be a good idea in any situation. If you have a shallow swing with your high lofted wedge, that low bounce will be good for anything.

I'm in the market for a 60* wedge and I'm considering buying a lower bounce (maybe 8) to use in difference circumstances. My SW is a 56/12. I think some of the ways I could benefit are as follows:

• wet sand
  • downhill pitch shot
  • tight lies

Opinion(s)?

Two points the first of which is equipment related. As I learned in a wedge fitting, one wedge with 8* bounce may react very differently than another. Effective bounce (the bounce plus sole width) was a much more important factor than just bounce for me. My 60* has 6* of bounce but a wide sole so plays more similar to say something with a 12* or 14* bounce.

I also found that my chipping style really affected my wedge choice. For years I played 1/2 shots and many chips back in my stance and used spin to check them up. For me, that proved less effective over time and I moved to bounce chipping where I place the ball forward and use the bounce and a square (or slightly open) face for 99% of my short game. When I made this change, the bounces and grinds I needed changed dramatically.

This month's Golf Digest has a great article specifically related to this topic. The articles recommendation was lower bounce for high loft, and more bounce for the lower loft

KellyBo are the clubs that you have in your bag specifically the wedges costing you shots? Think back to your rounds and tell me how many shots you're leaving on the course due to the wedges that you currently have. I ask because one club , for possibly three shots, to me doesn't make any sense. now I'm assuming you would use it 3 times , you might use it more. what my point is , maybe you don't need a 60 degree wedge in your bag. maybe it's another club or another gap that you need to fill in your bag I'm just asking I'm very curious thank you

This month's Golf Digest has a great article specifically related to this topic. The articles recommendation was lower bounce for high loft, and more bounce for the lower loft

Is this in the Feb issue? I have it on my iPad and can't find it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

KellyBo are the clubs that you have in your bag specifically the wedges costing you shots? Think back to your rounds and tell me how many shots you're leaving on the course due to the wedges that you currently have. I ask because one club , for possibly three shots, to me doesn't make any sense. now I'm assuming you would use it 3 times , you might use it more. what my point is , maybe you don't need a 60 degree wedge in your bag. maybe it's another club or another gap that you need to fill in your bag I'm just asking I'm very curious thank you

I took my 54 and 58 wedges out and replaced them with a 56/14 ladies flex. I've been using my 50* gap wedge with different swings to fill the 54 void. I've had a terrible time using the 56/14 out of wet or hard packed sand so I was thinking of adding another lower bounce wedge. I haven't decided yet. Maybe I need to go back to 54/58? My divots are shallow. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Kelly, are you playing with us tomorrow?? If so , you can try mine to see if you like it...its a vokey 58/08 m grind..it works for me out of the Sand at LC

with a higher bounce wedge out of wet or hard sand, you want a steeper angle of attack. Shallow divots are great and produce a good amount of spin but try to get steeper on the wedges you have with plenty of follow through.
I took my 54 and 58 wedges out and replaced them with a 56/14 ladies flex. I've been using my 50* gap wedge with different swings to fill the 54 void. I've had a terrible time using the 56/14 out of wet or hard packed sand so I was thinking of adding another lower bounce wedge. I haven't decided yet. Maybe I need to go back to 54/58? My divots are shallow. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Is this in the Feb issue? I have it on my iPad and can't find it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

March issue.

Sharpen Your Short Game Don't hit your 60. Hit your 12.

Back