TaylorMade RSi 1 Irons Review Thread

So has TaylorMade just stopped marketing this line altogether? I haven't seen anything from their #mishitshappen campaign in ages.

Definitely not. You will see more soon, but they just released a flagship driver.

Definitely not. You will see more soon, but they just released a flagship driver.
Gotcha. I was going to say they seemed to drop the #mishitshappen campaign as soon as the drivers launched.

I guess that goes to show how much more important the metal woods top spot means to them

Taylormade did the same thing with the wedges for the Rbladez and SpeedBlades.
I am curious to see what the RSI2 wedges look like since my SLDR wedges, while a bit different than the irons, look more like the irons than they do traditional wedges.

They look the exact same. I will take a photo of my RSI2 approach wedge for you if you would like.

They look the exact same. I will take a photo of my RSI2 approach wedge for you if you would like.
Thanks, I will definitely be following along with the RSI2 thread.

I didn't realize the AW on the RSi1's was a full wedge design until you said that. I'd say that might be the reason though, although if it is, that makes it an interesting choice on TM's part. Wonder why on the RSi1's they did that instead of just a higher lofted set club?

Here is a side by side of my Baffler and the new RSi1 50* set wedge

Vn949BG.jpg

Last edited:
This insert in the latest golf digest has me intrigued to try it on my 6 iron and see!

This insert in the latest golf digest has me intrigued to try it on my 6 iron and see!

That's showing a lot of confidence with your R&D behind these.

Just got a shipping notification from Taylormade. 6-AW on the way with KBS C-Taper Lites.

Not sure if I should put this in this thread or not but since it's an Rsi I figure it will be ok. Anyway I demo'd the Taylor Made RSi UDI iron(I believe it was 21*) at my local dome today and I came away impressed. I was hooked up to the GC2 launch monitor and my numbers were pretty good, considering I don't game anything above a 4 iron. I hit about a dozen balls and every one was between 205 and 215 carry so even the mishits didn't punish me that much. I would like to go try this outdoors when the weather gets better so I can see the ball flight but I came away impressed on my first impressions.

I escaped from frozen north with my rsi 1 irons in tow to Palm Springs ca. I got out yesterday for a round .
Just a few thoughts on these irons. First off at address they look a touch bigger than the
speedblades I had last year , now that could be the difference in the chrome and darker look.
The Rsi 1's really inspire confidence behind the ball though out the set, the slots are not that noticeable but do frame the ball nicely.
Feel wise the slotted irons do feel & sound a little firm, hard to describe but not unpleasant but different . The non slotted irons feel & sound feel really nice.
Forgiveness and playability are outstanding ,truly point and shoot . The slots work ! An upgrade from the SP irons. Miss hits are minimized.
The aw is a gem thinking of picking up a sw to match the set.
Distance wise I found them on par with speedblades.
We were playing a course with homes surrounding the course, I receive golf claps on three of my approach shots from some locals.
The highlight of my round I stuffed a 6 iron into a par 3 to 2 feet on a par 3 165 to a tight to a tucked pin all carry over water & sand . I think the Callaway chrome soft ball helped nicely , pretty sweet ball.
I will report back after I few more rounds in with these.
gb

I have mine, but the way the weather looks my first shot with them will be on the course in Myrtle Beach on Sunday.

These have really peaked my interest. Enjoyed reading through the entire thread.

So has TaylorMade just stopped marketing this line altogether? I haven't seen anything from their #mishitshappen campaign in ages.

Quick update for these...they were running RSi commercials during the ATT pro-am last weekend. So they picked back up again.

sorry, trying to find info on the higher clubs....

how are the 3 and 4 irons of this set?

I am adding these 2 clubs to my RSi2's 4-aw.......to replace my 4 wood.
so my set will look like

3,4,4,5,6,7,8,9,pw,aw,sw

sorry, trying to find info on the higher clubs....

how are the 3 and 4 irons of this set?

I am adding these 2 clubs to my RSi2's 4-aw.......to replace my 4 wood.
so my set will look like

3,4,4,5,6,7,8,9,pw,aw,sw

I didn't have much luck with the 3, though that's been like that for the last few years not just limited to this set. The 4 was easy to hit for me, and again I haven't played a 4 iron in some time either.

The three and four weren't too bad, though not what I would game as I haven't hit a three or four on purpose in several years outside of testing. I do better with hybrids and fairway woods.

The long irons though did a nice job of elevating the ball though.

Well first of all, I love the RSi 1. It's my first custom fitted set and I'm upgrading from 18 year old TopFlite Tour irons.. So they are a big step for my game.

Though I've been kind of unlucky. On the first round with RSi 1 the head of the 5i flew off on a par3. It was a good hit, small divot. The head flew like 80 meter. Luckily noone got hurt. I just stod there with my shaft couldnt belive what just happend to my shiny new irons. Poorly glued heads i guess. I went back to the store and they send the clubs back to TM for repair and check of the other clubs. Two weeks later I got them back and was eager to get out and play again. I had a soild round and all the heads stayed on this time. But.. I hit a few shots of the toe on the 6i and the faceslot seems to have taken a beating :( The slot is still there but it's cracked and like sticking out after one round.. And I'm affraid that it will fall out after a few more toehits. And misshits happens you know..

Now i'm wondering if anyone else experienced any problems with the faceslots?

I really wanna play these irons.. They are perfect for me. But I don't want to be having to worrying about destroying them after every swing.

Well first of all, I love the RSi 1. It's my first custom fitted set and I'm upgrading from 18 year old TopFlite Tour irons.. So they are a big step for my game.

Though I've been kind of unlucky. On the first round with RSi 1 the head of the 5i flew off on a par3. It was a good hit, small divot. The head flew like 80 meter. Luckily noone got hurt. I just stod there with my shaft couldnt belive what just happend to my shiny new irons. Poorly glued heads i guess. I went back to the store and they send the clubs back to TM for repair and check of the other clubs. Two weeks later I got them back and was eager to get out and play again. I had a soild round and all the heads stayed on this time. But.. I hit a few shots of the toe on the 6i and the faceslot seems to have taken a beating :( The slot is still there but it's cracked and like sticking out after one round.. And I'm affraid that it will fall out after a few more toehits. And misshits happens you know..

I really wanna play these irons.. They are perfect for me. But I don't want to be having to worrying about destroying them after every swing.

Sorry for your troubles. I've heard of the faceslot issue but haven't seen it personally. We have a set of the RSi 1's for demo in our pro shop and they've been used quite a bit and everything looks perfectly intact. QC is a tough thing however, not every set is going to be trouble free, hopefully you get yours fixed and are free and clear going forward.

That's a real bummer Frippe. I don't know man. I'd struggle with that personally.

I haven't seen any issue with mine yet, but I've only got 4 or 5 rounds on them. Definitely something I will keep an eye on.

Certainly, sounds like something Taylormade would stand behind and rectify for you.

I think this was happening to some of the RSi2 sets that are being tested: http://www.thehackersparadise.com/f...ns-Review-Thread/page19&p=3625547#post3625547

So I had my eyes opened today. But first the back story. I ordered my set and got them yesterday. I took them to the driving range right away to get a sense of my yardages and gaps. I couldn't wait to get to the course to really give these a run. I'm typically a mid to high 80's player.

This is my first round of the year (weather finally broke), I played 18 today on a course I have never played before. I didn't realize it at the time, but i played all 18 holes today and did't miss 1 green short or long. I missed plenty left or right but even through fat and thin shots, the distance control was unbelievable. I walked off the course shooting an 80. I was absolutely amazed. I cannot wait to see how this year pans out. If I can start breaking 80 consistently I was be incredibly happy.

Back