Planning The Perfect Event - Your Thoughts

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Jason Finley, part of team Zoo Crew, wants THPer feedback on planning the perfect event. The 2015 Grandaddy is only 6 months away and of course it is already the greatest event of them all. All expenses paid trip of a lifetime including a full bag of gear, golf at one of the finest courses in the world and fun that cannot be topped anywhere. Those that have followed along and those that have participated, we want to hear from you.

What would you change? What was your favorite part?

Uh, pick me this time? Ha.

Seriously tho, everything seems pretty dang sweet already. I know you guys strive to make it better every time so I fully trust the experts. I'd just like to go along for the ride one time!

Crazy idea: Meet a few Cally staffers. One left handed one in particular...

Wow. How could it be any better. That's a tough challenge

One thing that occurred to me from following the previous two events.

It would be cool if each foursome could consistent of at least one Callaway Team member each round. If I recall some foursomes last year were all THP'ers. If I'm wrong on this then my bad. Keep it up.

They are such a big part of why people want to play in this event, so to be able to share each round with one of them would be great.

I understand it might be tough from a numbers standpoint or format.

But they works really make it even more special.

Love that Callaway is looking for input. Tough to make the best event out there even better, going to have to think about this one.

Wow how do you improve on what already is the best event IMO that THP & Callaway coordinates.

From the minute the participants step off the plane, to when the final putt drops, following the experience has been epic to say the least & hard to top.

My suggestions really aren't changing anything, but more of enhancing the experience.

1. A custom wedge or putter design by Anthony Taranto. Following along on Twitter he does amazing work and to see the Grandaddy logo sandblasted & painted on a wedge or bottom of a putter would be cool.

2. The other is my "crazy" idea. Callaway has an awesome lineup of pros that represent the brand across multiple tours. Maybe have one of those pros be a "non -playing captain" for each team helping strategize and give a Pro's perspective on how to handle match play/team competition events.

Cool thread and will be following along to see other thoughts.

• Admin
Wow. How could it be any better. That's a tough challenge

One thing that occurred to me from following the previous two events.

It would be cool if each foursome could consistent of at least one Callaway Team member each round. If I recall some foursomes last year were all THP'ers. If I'm wrong on this then my bad. Keep it up.

They are such a big part of why people want to play in this event, so to be able to share each round with one of them would be great.

I understand it might be tough from a numbers standpoint or format.

But they works really make it even more special.

I think you are thinking about the King.
The Grandaddy foursomes will always feature both THP and Zoo Crew because they are competing against each other.
Otherwise, I agree as it pertains to the other events.

I know there is a lot of brainstorming on how to make this event better, and I have no doubts we will be blown away.

But trust me when I say this.
For me, this event was perfect in every way! From the people behind the scenes (Kirsten, Carol, the fitters, list goes on) to the #ZooCrew this event hit all the marks!

That being said, I cannot wait to see what's in store for this years event!

Maybe we could win it this time... [kicks rocks]

ZooCrew -- Just do what you do. It's amazing to see how you guys can plan and host an event. I'm really looking forward to seeing what this group comes up with for the 2015 Grandaddy.

Following along the last few years has been pretty amazing, so asking to improve upon near perfection is tough. Here are a couple ideas that I could think of:

- I do agree with a few of the folks up top that meeting a Callaway professional or two would be amazing.

- I know Roger Cleveland gave tips last year for wedge and bunker play which should definitely stay, but I don't think there has been much in the way of full swing help at the Granddaddy (may be wrong about this)

That's about all I have right now.

I think you are thinking about the King.
The Grandaddy foursomes will always feature both THP and Zoo Crew because they are competing against each other.
Otherwise, I agree as it pertains to the other events.
Thanks Boss...I was afraid I had it wrong. And if I had thought about it for just a bit longer, I would have realized the format was just that.

Too many great events with Callaway to keep straight :)

I think some tour staff pro presence would send this over the moon

To me, its all about the experience. The courses, the people, the golf, the special experiences that no one else can think of being possible. Up until last year who in their right mind would have thought about getting a short game lesson from Roger Cleveland? Its those types of things that make it special. Obviously the all expenses paid part is unbelievable and the equipment is awesome as well but its those personal touches that make the Grandaddy so special.

Agree with a few others. The only thing I can even think of that would change the Grandaddy for the better is if a few Callaway Pro Staffers rolled out and teed it up in the competition.

If this event has a weakness, it's the unfair setup. THPers from around the country emerge from their frozen igloos in the middle of December and are flown to California, where they are thrown to the Zoo Crew wolves. Zoo Crew members play golf year round in gorgeous weather. Meanwhile, Bob from Ohiotopia has had his clubs in cold storage for 3 months at this point, and the best he can do is whack balls into a net in his 31 degree garage to prep.

For this reason, I believe the only fair solution is for THP to be represented exclusively by players from warm weather climates. Florida, for instance :angel:

Even the bus ride was fun. I still think it was planned to perfection last year. As far as "crazy" ideas go, more surprise guests like Mr. Cleveland would be cool. I think that was one of the best parts of the trip.

I would like to see a THP female member compete vs Rhi this year. Maybe there will be a few to enter this year for a chance at it :thumb:.

I would like to see a THP female member compete vs Rhi this year. Maybe there will be a few to enter this year for a chance at it :thumb:.

Have not had a single entry, so it has been impossible in the past. It is open to both sexes and will remain that way.

Like others have said improving on the greatest event of the year will be tough. Somehow thought the Zoocrew and Callaway Golf seem to make it better each year.

I like the idea of a Callaway staff member being there and who would have thought Mr. Roger Cleveland would be a part of it last year.

Will have to think about this some more to see if anything pops up in the empty space between the ears.

If this event has a weakness, it's the unfair setup. THPers from around the country emerge from their frozen igloos in the middle of December and are flown to California, where they are thrown to the Zoo Crew wolves. Zoo Crew members play golf year round in gorgeous weather. Meanwhile, Bob from Ohiotopia has had his clubs in cold storage for 3 months at this point, and the best he can do is whack balls into a net in his 31 degree garage to prep.

For this reason, I believe the only fair solution is for THP to be represented exclusively by players from warm weather climates. Florida, for instance :angel:

I see what you did there ya jerk. Haha

Have not had a single entry, so it has been impossible in the past. It is open to both sexes and will remain that way.

So many Caitlyn Jenner jokes, so little time.

Hard to improve upon such an incredible event, but I will echo what some of the others have suggested in that a Callaway Pro Staffer or two would add to an already mind blowing experience.

I know there is a lot of brainstorming on how to make this event better, and I have no doubts we will be blown away.

But trust me when I say this.
For me, this event was perfect in every way! From the people behind the scenes (Kirsten, Carol, the fitters, list goes on) to the #ZooCrew this event hit all the marks!

That being said, I cannot wait to see what's in store for this years event!

This is pretty much what I said to Finley last week. My few recommendations:

- allow more time on the range with the new clubs
- bathroom on bus (this was a Jrod special request)

This will likely never happen due to logistics but I'll throw it out there anyway:

- have the event start or end on a weekend where people don't have to take 4 days off work. It was fine with me but I know for many it poses a challenge being in between 2 major holidays

From the fittings to the golf to the accommodations to the course to the company - there is nothing I can say that would make it better. Hell, I even feel dumb mentioning the things above but they are really all I could think of.

Besides playing golf myself, I have never had so much golf-related fun as I had following the Grandaddy-threads. It's great to see people have so much fun and be amazed at what being thrown at them. I think THP and Callaway pretty much got everything covered, and honestly can't think of any way to improve it for the participants.

What I may have appreciated was a more extensive coverage of the matches. I know a lot of participants did the best they could to keep us posted, but they are having the best round of their life, so their time for us is limited, as it should be. Speaking of the matches: They were my favorite part of it.

How do you make an already perfect event any better? From the people I've talked to that have been a part of this amazing event, Callaway gets it right in every single detail. The ideas that have been mentioned above are awesome.

I think my crazy suggestion is more about the updates on the event. Maybe some live course video or more live scoring? We like to wear out the refresh button on our internet browsers during these events, so maybe a live scoreboard and/or live featured hole coverage?

Oh yeah.. and pick ME for Team THP this year!

I followed the first two iterations closely and both were absolutely amazing events. Honestly I don't know how you would improve them but I'm sure that you guys will manage to in someway!

The Roger Cleveland surprise last year was pretty cool. More things like that would be very cool.
I may be miss-remembering but was there someone last year that had to rush through part of their fitting? Maybe build in a little more fitting time.
How about a special "Callaway Live" edition and let the #Grandaddy members be in the studio audience.

Edit: looks like I was miss-remembering on the fitting from follow-up posts by others. Must have been thinking about the first year.

Last edited:
Back