Bridgestone J15 Cast Iron Review

That sole has a lot to offer the guys that are steep or hit fatties.

Really does. Its a well thought out design that has a lot of benefits.

If these were on Test Drive, I might grab a set. They remind me very much of AP1's at first blush, and that is a good thing.

Bridgestone J15 Cast Iron Review

I think it's between these and the driving forged for Legacy. Will try and hit both one more time before decisions need to be made. What I found in limiting testing so far were that my best shots were slightly better with he DFs but my missed were better with the Cast. Not surprising really. They are certainly bigger and thicker than the DFS but not ugly by any means. In fact I think they look fantastic.

Thanks for the info. What are your feelings on the stock shaft and grips? I'm coming from graphite so I hope it won't be a big adjustment.
I honestly had no problem at all with feel going from a forged iron to these. I'm really kind of over the "Buttery Smooth" thing :act-up:. I would think the FAST technology in the head might be giving it a softer feel..... maybe. As others have said in the previous posts over the last day and I have been mentioning in my updates, these clubs are performers. If the 4I doesn't work out for you, hit me up as I'm on the look out for one.

For those #Legacy staffers, I want to echo what JB mentioned earlier. Don't sleep on these irons when considering your equipment. Forgiveness and FAST = Lower Scores.

Still totally loving these and pairing them with e7 is just silly. I have been playing from parts of the course I haven't seen in 20 years.

JM

Thanks for the info. What are your feelings on the stock shaft and grips? I'm coming from graphite so I hope it won't be a big adjustment.

I have the Nippon stock in R - Flex and have no issues at all. I came from KBS Tour90 which is a very light shaft as well.

Have been quite pleased with the feel and launch of the Nippon's

JM

How would you guys rate the distance of these clubs?

Coming from the DPC with KBS, it took a little time, but I'm about a club longer.

The J15 Cast lofts are strong, but my DPC lofts were bent strong as well, so its a wash there. I would say the shaft comparisons are pretty close as well, with the edge going to the KBS in the fell category, but the Nippons DO launch higher for me.

That leaves us with FAST technology in the heads. Its real, is the only conclusion I can come up with. I like it!

JM

So its looking very likely that I go with this set of clubs for the THPLegacy event. I was comparing them against the DPC and DF offerings from Bridgestone, but these are performing better for me on my mis-hits. It takes a seriously bad swing to make these stray any more than 10 or 15 yards off the target. They also appear to be about a half club longer as well, which isn't a bad thing either. For a GI iron profile, there's really nothing about these clubs that I dislike. Sure its got a thicker topline, but its not obnoxious. And the cavity is one of the better looking ones I've ever seen in this style or iron. The shaft that comes stock is solid too, although for the Legacy I will be using KBS C-Tapers.

My main miss with irons is getting quick and hitting them thin. These retain a surprisingly high launch when I thin them. Also, they tame my other miss, the hook, considerably compared to the DF and DPF clubs. Overall performance reminds me quite a bit of my Speedblades. And that's a good thing. I am quite excited at the prospect of putting these in play this summer!

What are your feelings about the stock grips? I play with GP CP2 Pro grips so when my Bstones arrive on Monday, I'm thinking of changing the grips out. Plus I'm not sold on yellow grips...

So its looking very likely that I go with this set of clubs for the THPLegacy event. I was comparing them against the DPC and DF offerings from Bridgestone, but these are performing better for me on my mis-hits. It takes a seriously bad swing to make these stray any more than 10 or 15 yards off the target. They also appear to be about a half club longer as well, which isn't a bad thing either. For a GI iron profile, there's really nothing about these clubs that I dislike. Sure its got a thicker topline, but its not obnoxious. And the cavity is one of the better looking ones I've ever seen in this style or iron. The shaft that comes stock is solid too, although for the Legacy I will be using KBS C-Tapers.

My main miss with irons is getting quick and hitting them thin. These retain a surprisingly high launch when I thin them. Also, they tame my other miss, the hook, considerably compared to the DF and DPF clubs. Overall performance reminds me quite a bit of my Speedblades. And that's a good thing. I am quite excited at the prospect of putting these in play this summer!

What are your feelings about the stock grips? I play with GP CP2 Pro grips so when my Bstones arrive on Monday, I'm thinking of changing the grips out. Plus I'm not sold on yellow grips...
I little birdie told me that Lamkin has a little something special up their sleeves for the Legacy participants....

The grips are good old golf pride rubber grips I believe. I didn't mind them at all, even the yellow. But as Ricky said we will be getting something different anyways.

Man am I excited for you G4L! Such an awesome combo that will be with the KBS shafts. Enjoy and just a little hint, I play the B330RX, but if you want to boom it every once in a while try the e7..........Oh my. Cannot wait to see how these work out for you!

JM

I tend to like the tour velvet a lot and I didn't like the feel of the yellow ones. They feel a bit different to me.

These irons were on point today. Since having them bent flat they have really come alive for me. Straight, straight, straight!

JM

I just submitted the orders for the Bridgestone staffers for the Legacy. 3 out of the 4 guys went with the J15 cast irons. If that doesnt speak to the quality of these irons, I dont know what does. These guys could have chosen any irons from Bridgestone's current line and they chose these.

Once I took the blinders off myself there were no other choice for me, I hit the DPF's longer when I made good contact but that was few and far between and after finally getting my hands on these there was no other choice. My dispersion on all shots was so consistent I can't wait to get my hands on them.

Once I took the blinders off myself there were no other choice for me, I hit the DPF's longer when I made good contact but that was few and far between and after finally getting my hands on these there was no other choice. My dispersion on all shots was so consistent I can't wait to get my hands on them.

Posted in legacy thread, but I knew these were going to be the winners. Good choice and I know you will be happy with them.

I just submitted the orders for the Bridgestone staffers for the Legacy. 3 out of the 4 guys went with the J15 cast irons. If that doesnt speak to the quality of these irons, I dont know what does. These guys could have chosen any irons from Bridgestone's current line and they chose these.

They are very solid. Took Bridgestone a while to get in the GI game, but they did it with a splash. Excellent looks sound and feel of these clubs. I hit these against the DPF and DF irons twice for about 90 minutes total. And the bottom line is the misses were much more playable. Certainly thin and fat but also my hooks. They hooked significantly less. These are all good things.
The fact I hit them about a half club longer on average doesn't hurt either.
If anything, I may have been hitting them a touch on the high side but putting the C Taper shafts in there will probably help with that.

I really can't wait to play these sticks. They may stay in the bag a long time.

Well I'm the third teammate who went with them and let me tell you I surprised even myself, as I was certain I was going the DPF since the day I found out I was going to be in the Legacy.

But you can't argue with reality, and after hitting then both a few times I just felt more comfortable with the Cast. Similar to Fairband, when I connected solidly with the DPF I think I was a smidge longer and it felt very nice, but really not that much different than the Cast frankly. And when I missed with the cast I was still getting straight high shots, and losing a little distance.

The second comfort point was I feel like these are very similar to my G30's which I've been playing 8 months now, and having that familiarity on the course in July is going to be a nice peace of mind

Great choices guys. If I was a Bridgestone staffer, these would have been my choice as well.

Just pulled the trigger on a set of j15 cast today. 4-GW with Nippon 1050 stiff, and I got the black tour velvet's instead of the yellow jobs that come stock. I compared them side by side by a lot of different GI irons in the store, Golfsmith (Raleigh) and these to me just look better all the way around from the others. You can tell that even with their castings that a lot of craftmanship goes into their irons. Same thing with the Srixon stuff for sure, but I wanted an "easy" to hit iron at a reasonable price. Tired of playing players "forgiving" forged irons or blades. I just came to the conclusion that I need all the help I can get out there, but still want something that looks decent. These have it I believe. They are a little on the big side, but I think after a little time I won't even really be bothered or think about it much. Especially when I start raining shots from 175 out! Ha Ha.

Not sure how I missed this, but work has been a little busy. Cannot tell you how awesome this news is! How cool is that. These irons are performers and in my opinion vastly overlooked. Do work Bridgestone staffers!

JM

Just pulled the trigger on a set of j15 cast today. 4-GW with Nippon 1050 stiff, and I got the black tour velvet's instead of the yellow jobs that come stock. I compared them side by side by a lot of different GI irons in the store, Golfsmith (Raleigh) and these to me just look better all the way around from the others. You can tell that even with their castings that a lot of craftmanship goes into their irons. Same thing with the Srixon stuff for sure, but I wanted an "easy" to hit iron at a reasonable price. Tired of playing players "forgiving" forged irons or blades. I just came to the conclusion that I need all the help I can get out there, but still want something that looks decent. These have it I believe. They are a little on the big side, but I think after a little time I won't even really be bothered or think about it much. Especially when I start raining shots from 175 out! Ha Ha.

Forgiveness is fun!

JM

These irons have continued to perform for me. The AW is back in the bag and saving me strokes regularly. Hit 7-iron to birdie range on back to back holes today and validated both. The Nippon shaft performs best for me when I make a measured and controlled swing. Seriously pondering the 4-iron. Silly easy to hit these right now.

These irons are gonna help build some Legacy's in MB! Good luck guys!

JM

So the AW was giving me some problems in the beginning, but that is way in the past. Too my 50 degree J40 and Gap wedge to the short game area. The AW won hands down. I'm finding that I can actually flight the ball around the greens with this club. I can pinch it and get some check, hit a mid trajectory and get roll out and even flop it to a certain degree.

Such a solid iron offering.

JM

Back