He was the Michael Jordan of golf, able to do things nobody else could. Also, from a historical perspective, there are the age and race factors.

I'm not a fan of Tiger, but I suspect many, including the U.S. TV networks are because he has a very legitimate claim to be the greatest ever golfer to strike a golf ball.

Pretty much nail hit on the head type thing with the exception of a few.

Just saying he was one of my favorites and Tiger Woods has always been against the grain for me. Some of the things that has drawn many of you young guys to him, has turned a good portion of older generation against him. Too cocky back in the day was not looked on as cool. Kind of in ya face type thing.

Im not a young guy, lol. But I do like his game when he is good. He HAD a chance to be the best ever, if that doesn't excite you nothin would.

I'm not a fan of Tiger, but I suspect many, including the U.S. TV networks are because he has a very legitimate claim to be the greatest ever golfer to strike a golf ball.

I think Jack Nicklaus was however there were those that would disagree. The funny thing is back then, many didn't like Jack because of his taking over Arnold Palmer's spotlight.

Thanks guys. This is something I have always been curious about and didn't know how to ask. Well I thought, to hell with it, I will ask and they will tell me. I've always been a pot stirrer and some like that and some don't.

I think Jack Nicklaus was however there were those that would disagree. The funny thing is back then, many didn't like Jack because of his taking over Arnold Palmer's spotlight.

Yeah, it's hard to argue against that with his record. Tigers period of dominance at the turn of the last decade though was unbelievable. We, all as golfers, probably understand more than most that no human should be able to dominate this sport the way he did. To me the greatest golfer title is a clear race between these 2.

He made golf exciting.

This may be the simple truest thing you could say about him. I was never a "fan" but loved watching him at his best. Honestly I liked when he was challenged the most Bob May or Rocco Mediate. Those were some great, great tournaments.

For me its about watching the best so far in my life time. I dont love tiger but think he was great for the game and for years left me shaking my head saying wow how does someone do that

I started golfing in 1962 when Arnie was King and I loved how he played and was the best during the next half dozen years. Jack was okay but did not ring my bell partly because he was the one who dethroned Arnie. By the 90's I had lost some interest in the PGA and followed the LPGA more. Then Woods came on the scene and he was magnificent hitting shots no other player would hit to make birdies and eagles. He was dominating and just had a manner about him that reeked of greatness. To this day I still love to watch him. The last two days at the Masters was fantastic for Woods and Saturday was outstanding to watch with Phil, Tiger, Rory, Justin Rose all playing great. Most of the guys I play with like Woods so I guess we play with a different segment of players.

I'm 22, Tiger is the best golfer I have ever seen.

Thanks guys. This is something I have always been curious about and didn't know how to ask. Well I thought, to hell with it, I will ask and they will tell me. I've always been a pot stirrer and some like that and some don't.

Jack is the greatest, but Tiger had (may have if he gets it together) to be the best. That my man is the reason we like watching him play. Hank Arron has nothing to do with it.

Hit it em straight!

ken

I'm about you age OG and while I like watching Tiger, it isn't the same for me as watching Arnie, Jack or Gary. But my two sons are huge Tiger fans so it was like Ok, I'll root for him. I'm not fan of any of his personal nonsense, which turns me off from being a full fledged Tiger Homer. I always rooted more for Phil, just his risk taking / shot making is worth the price Of admission.

I started golfing in 1962 when Arnie was King and I loved how he played and was the best during the next half dozen years. Jack was okay but did not ring my bell partly because he was the one who dethroned Arnie. By the 90's I had lost some interest in the PGA and followed the LPGA more. Then Woods came on the scene and he was magnificent hitting shots no other player would hit to make birdies and eagles. He was dominating and just had a manner about him that reeked of greatness. To this day I still love to watch him. The last two days at the Masters was fantastic for Woods and Saturday was outstanding to watch with Phil, Tiger, Rory, Justin Rose all playing great. Most of the guys I play with like Woods so I guess we play with a different segment of players.

Just curious, what part of the country are you from?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I never liked Bo Jackson but I sure loved Hershel Walker! :in-love:

That is because you are a GA instead of an Auburn fan. Being a huge fan of neither, I side with Bo because of the greater all around athletic ability.

I have not read the whole thread beyond this post I am quoting yet so I don't know if this subject has been addressed, but one of the big reasons of "why Tiger" is because he is a minority and I for one loved seeing more minorities drawn to the game of golf that previously could care less about golf. Yes, there were minorities in professional golf prior to Tiger, but none with the promise or swagger that Tiger provided. I would not call myself a Tiger fan, but I consider it must see TV when he is in contention in a major tournament.

That is because you are a GA instead of an Auburn fan. Being a huge fan of neither, I side with Bo because of the greater all around athletic ability.

I have not read the whole thread beyond this post I am quoting yet so I don't know if this subject has been addressed, but one of the big reasons of "why Tiger" is because he is a minority and I for one loved seeing more minorities drawn to the game of golf that previously could care less about golf. Yes, there were minorities in professional golf prior to Tiger, but none with the promise or swagger that Tiger provided. I would not call myself a Tiger fan, but I consider it must see TV when he is in contention in a major tournament.

Good answer partner

He happened to sit in the middle of a perfect storm of race, economics, and the growth of the game, and a lot of it is hitched to his combination of skill and tenacity. For a handful of years, Tiger had that "Who's coming in second?" power that made the game exciting without necessarily needing close finishes. At some point in time he evolved from beating tough fields to people coming out just to watch him do his thing. From 1999-2006, Tiger versus golf (the field, the course, etc.) was Ali in his prime, Nolan Ryan on the mound. Watching an artist do his thing was worth the price of admission.

Since then it's become less about dominance and more about appreciation for the circumstances that he contributed to that's made the game as popular and lucrative as it is.

Listen to how any tour pro from 2000-2009 would talk. Almost a decade one man in an individual sport had the rest of the most elite players in the world absolutely terrified to play against. He had the field mentally defeated by the Wednesday Pro Am. That to me is reason enough to want to cheer for a guy. To be that dominant in a sport so challenging is so impressive

Listen to how any tour pro from 2000-2009 would talk. Almost a decade one man in an individual sport had the rest of the most elite players in the world absolutely terrified to play against. He had the field mentally defeated by the Wednesday Pro Am. That to me is reason enough to want to cheer for a guy. To be that dominant in a sport so challenging is so impressive

This is one of the reasons that puzzles me about his popularity. A lot of folks root for the under dog. Sooooo why root for the dominator?

OG,
Why did you like Hank Aaron?
As you have said, because he was the best HR hitter of his generation and your home town team.
No different than why many like Tiger Woods.

Nothing, I'm around tigers age, 37 but I have never been a fan

Why did people love Gretzky? Why did people love Mohamed Ali? Many people root for the under dog yes. But most will respect legends

I was a fan when he was coming up and continued to be until the scandal came to light that he was a serial cheater on his wife and children. It was a 100% total loss of respect for me. I'm a man as well, and it is easy to "look" at other women, but I would never do such a thing to my wife (I have no children) of 27 years. He changed the lives of his wife and his children forever, and he will have some explaining to do as his children get older and are old enough to understand and ask questions.

I'm friends with a couple of guys that had unfaithful fathers and both now in their 50's say their lives have never been the same. I did not walk in Tiger's shoes, making $100 million dollars a year and having everyone want a piece of you, watching your every move etc., but none the less I have zero respect for those that do these things to their wive's and young children.

Gives me even more respect for how the star's of my youth (the big three, Arnie, Jack and Gary) handled things when they were in these same situations at a younger age. I personally think Tiger is a lowlife for what he did, and I know everyone makes mistakes and are hopefully offered and accept forgiveness, I'll never have any respect for him. Call me old fashioned or call me what you want, I am not perfect, but this is my honest opinion.

Last edited:

The minority part didn't influence me, but being half Puerto Rican I was aware of Chi Chi and thought it was cool he was cousins with my dad's mother. Then add in other Latin players like Lee Trevino and Seve, but looking back there are several guys I know and some I still play with that Tger brought to the game.

For me, he's two years younger than me, so I watched him develop over time. A friend I played with in HS, was the same age as Tiger. He was a HS state champion and traveled to many junior events, some of them with Tiger in the field. We had a magazine in our clubhouse that would list junior rankings. I'd look for my friend and he'd be down in the 60s or 70s, but there was one guy always at the top, Tiger Woods. He was always #1. I asked about him and can remember him saying "he's really good". My friend was paired with him once and he said he was in awe the entire time. He was always a step above everyone. He hit it further, had more touch, just did everything better than everyone else. Ever since then I've always rooted for him. Mostly because he was my age and he was the best.

I don't think it's much different than rooting for any big time star. People loved MJ because he was the best. Same thing with Tiger. I think when you are watching greatness, there is something special about it.

Back