Driver Shaft Weight

Thanks for putting this up OP. Just this past Wednesday, during my lesson, my pro asked me the weight on my driver shaft. He looked at slow mo video of a couple swings to try and figure out why I was getting the ball way too high in the air and he saw this:

98bce28699681a77dfc13197112c6c94.jpg
5e1aa44988bd0e2f68bf57a89a72a216.jpg

I have the stock 60g shaft (stiff) from the 2014 BB Alpha on my 2014 BB, 10.5* and I can't keep the ball down. He grabbed his 9.5* R15 with a 65g shaft and I hit it exactly the same and flexed the shaft the same way. I don't think I've ever exceeded 100mph club head speed on a launch monitor but I've never been swinging well when going on one, so I'm not sure what to think. He wants to use 30 mins of my next lesson to put me on a monitor and possibly get me fitted to a new shaft.

He seems to think I need a much heavier shaft, but would weight or flex be the reason for the flexing in the shaft seen in the above pics? Personally I think it's a factor of a little early release of the club head but I don't know what the Hell I'm talking about.

The "bowing" of the shaft is actually because of the camera, not the shaft.
Your pro may want to research that side of it, because it could lead to trying to change something on someone that is not having an issue.

The "bowing" of the shaft is actually because of the camera, not the shaft.
Your pro may want to research that side of it, because it could lead to trying to change something on someone that is not having an issue.
Thanks JB. I didn't realize that...those are screen shots from the video he sent me...he noticed it while watching the video in slow mo but I see what you're saying.

I know it can't hurt to get on a monitor and do a shaft fitting...obviously that SHOULD be the best way to answer this question for me. I just don't like going into things like this uneducated haha. I'm pretty sure I prefer heavier bc light clubs/shafts tend to make me feel lost with where the clubhead is, but that's probably more in my head than anything else. This absurdly high ball flight with the driver is new...not sure why it's happening but it IS on solid contact and not because I skied the ball, nor did my swing look too steep or anything on video.

Anyway, without hijacking this thread too much, what difference does shaft weight make exactly vs shaft flex?

No worries at all. If you make it out to a THP Event, you can hop on the FlightScope and we can take a look at what is going on.

Back