Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815 Double Black Diamond Driver Review Thread

Thanks, JB. If I can make an event this year, I'll take you up on that offer.

Kentucky event filled up, but the wait list is short for those that want to get in.
Savannah will be a great one too and of course we have our events that offer clubs such as the 14 club deal in Legacy.

I have another round tomorrow, so I'll post a full review then, but man did I hit some bombs today with the DBD. This driver is definitely for the better player, but I get tickled silly when I square one up. It goes a long way and I will miss the muted sound whenever I go to a driver more fit for my inconsistent tee game.

Played again yesterday with my DBD and on the last hole a piece of the 5 gram weight fell off. I found the piece and it looks like it was probably glued on and fell off. I've reached out to Callaway's warranty department to see if they'll send me a new weight.

Anyone else experienced this?

14e15c8d54ab46deb456219eff050f96.jpg

I haven't had any issues. I'm sure Callaway CS will take good care of you.

Get some packet epoxy and glue it back on...I think this is a aerodynamic cover to the weight plug. Its lightweight plastic material. perhaps it came in contact with the turf?...no biggie, I would doubt it changed the SW much. By the time cally send you a new one you could go to GSmith and pick up some 5 min tour van epoxy. Just sand or rough up both surfaces for good contact.

Have not been to the launch monitor yet, but here is a update on driver distance. One of my playing Jim partners is a bigger guy than me hitting it harder with a old Taylor 580 driver stiff flex.
We usually end up the same distance. Both flights are draws, his a little higher Trajectory / Spin and a 'lot more' initial ball speed. I have played two rounds with him using the DBD. I would say my misses or 'slight' off center hits by say 1/2 inch to inch max, usually low or toe side of center (but not high on the face), all go the same distance as his drives. This is approx 270
Then when I connect or hit it on the screws I am in a new zip code! ...several drives were clearly Jim 'nuts it' ... and did I too...my result was 17 yards further!, some were less but over 10-12 yards. I would estimate he would have a solid 5+mph SS more than me, him 6.2 approx 220, me 5,11 190, and we are both athletic. Jim is a very good player 4 Hcp and had the same clubs for donkeys years.
The Cally DBD has a hot spot, and now I am learning to connect to it. Like a blade iron player learns to strike through the ball. Its training my driver swing better and giving me good feedback on what happened, rather than a big head like a G25/30 and it left you thinking great drive, but how did that happen???
The HOT Spot is BIG! and its set me up for some 9i / PW approaches that can earn me birdies if I hole the putts...
I would recommend playing a slightly stiffer shaft in this head, as the cup face soaking up the flex like a ping G25/30 were I played stiffer flexes, also getting a slightly 'firmer' profile (without going too stout) and you can deliver more khoonies (smash factor) to the ball. This head is screaming for a beat down. Some solid heads like my old Adams XTD Ti kinda shut down when you shaft 'slightly' stiffer....not the DBD!
My thin shots roll and roll and roll, like a hot bullet, and I find I don't need a tall tee to nut any drive out there which is nice. I have the gravity core down.
I am a low ball hitter that plays the ball two balls back from my left heal, hits a draw, 105-108 SS load hard. I play the DBD at NS, or N+1 depending on wind. I am getting near perfect trajectory for my eye which is mid flight flat line to a high apex, in a draw. In other clubs my draw shot has been slightly lower launch. I do like the way DBD launches. I have also toyed around with +1 & +2 gravity core up which is high penetrating towering bombs. The ball come off the face easier, with more loft, but has more of a solid 'thwack' with the core up. I wish they had a gravity core equal weighted both ends that way it would 'engage' weight transfer to the sole and crown top n bottom of the deep face more evenly. Perhaps I will try core down ( or vice versa), but wrap a turn of lead tape on the non weighted end of the gravity core, then re insert it in the head. I love the adjust ability of this club. Once you get your shaft right, then the heal toe weighting, next you can mess around with trajectory/optifit lofts with the core. If you can get this head to fly...quit golf!
Reminds me of the saying...'If you keep doing what your doing...more than likely your going to end up with the same result' (good or bad in golf)

Last edited:
Update #5: Lane Creek Golf Club 2/6/15 | Twin City Country Club 2/7/15

Check out my other reviews here, here, here and here.

I played 18 on Saturday and 36 on Sunday and had the DBD in the bag for all three rounds. Really struggled last weekend, so I thought I'd give the DBD one more full go before I moved on to the X2 Hot I have and deciding on the XR or 815 Alpha. On Saturday, I hit 7 of 9 fairways with the DBD and was just crushing it. It can't be said enough how long the DBD is when hit well. I think I have it dialed in just the way I need to and the Fubuki Zeta shaft was a good choice for me. I just didn't do well with the stock Speeder shaft for whatever reason.

On Sunday, I only hit 3 out of 7 fairways in my first round. I hit it well, just sprayed it around a little. The fairways I did hit were wayyy down there and left me with wedges into the green. In the second round on Sunday I hit 5 out of 11 fairways, but got a little tired towards the end of the round and got lazy.

I'm still seeing solid distances when I hit it on different places on the face and it may be my favorite sounding driver I've ever hit. As I've read and watched other reviews across the internet, it sounds like that's the consensus.

I will say that I think I'm better suited for a driver that requires less of a center hit than this one, though. I'll post a pic of the face later today to show that. As much as I enjoy squaring one up with the DBD, I don't do it nearly enough to get the full benefits of it. If you're a consistent driver of the golf ball, you can find a lot of success with this one.

Looking forward to those that have recently purchased this driver jumping into the discussion and posting their thoughts.

Usually a perfect flex is center strikes. Or if its too stiff and your swinging harder to get the shaft to work, you will swing outside the line at the top, rather than dropping into the slot. The result is a miss out on the toe side of center, as your creating a outside in swing. I am not sure if this is you problem...just a idea to to misses. If so try a smoother transition at the top. If its too soft then your left & right spraying the ball. The DBD will hone in your swing to the hot spot!

---------------------------

DBD Tuning

Please chime in on you optifit settings / gravity core up / down .

State your shaft spec's (weight, length, SW etc)

Head loft, your Swing Speed, Load (swinger / loader / Aggressive etc)

Your shot shape, trajectory and carry/tot yards etc

Please help other readers on your set up, shaft choices etc, and what works best for you...thanks

Last edited:
Went to the PGA SS today to demo the 815 and 815 DBD and came away with a DBD they both felt very good.

I hit the BDB straighter, a bit lower but very playable it is a 9 deg and it was set on N /S. went walking around to ponder and found one that looked new (not a ball scratch on the face) in the Preowned section for $278.00 could not pass it up, it has a X Rogue shaft and while I was put off at 1st I hit it very well.

Will see tomorrow how it plays on the course, might need to make a shaft change but for that price it was a solid buy.

While it's hard to question the performance of the head, I am always a bit surprised by the lower pitch of a Callaway driver when pairing against other heads. It's not a bad sound at all, it's just very unique to the Callaway Fit/Extreme/Alpha/815 progression.

Anyone else experiencing that, especially after coming off either a loud or higher pitched driver head in testing?

Love this driver and surprisingly the Rogue X flex, hit it very straight and long when it was on the screws. Misses were not bad and all playable, it was a pleasure to pull the driver today and know where it was going. Nice muted sound with good strikes.

While it's hard to question the performance of the head, I am always a bit surprised by the lower pitch of a Callaway driver when pairing against other heads. It's not a bad sound at all, it's just very unique to the Callaway Fit/Extreme/Alpha/815 progression.

Anyone else experiencing that, especially after coming off either a loud or higher pitched driver head in testing?

I have always thought that Callaway drivers sounded very specific.

Love this driver and surprisingly the Rogue X flex, hit it very straight and long when it was on the screws. Misses were not bad and all playable, it was a pleasure to pull the driver today and know where it was going. Nice muted sound with good strikes.

Man, I bet rogue X is STOUT!

Blu hows the DD working out for you?

Man, I bet rogue X is STOUT!

I am real surprised it did not feel bad, I had the rogue S in my 545 and never could get it dialed in. This one just aim and go, I would think I am losing some distance but I could actually predict where it was going, slight fade or straight.

I have it set up on Draw +2 and the ones I really caught clean were mid high and bombs (for me maybe 250). Out on the toe I lost quite a bit in yardage but it was in the fairway. I don't swing fast enough to need the X but maybe the way I swing it works, today was the honeymoon so the next couple of rounds will tell the tale.

It's noticeably lower. Especially on good strikes. That's usually how I could instantly tell if I've hit it well. I really enjoyed the sound. It will be weird gaming the X2 Hot this weekend.

I am real surprised it did not feel bad, I had the rogue S in my 545 and never could get it dialed in. This one just aim and go, I would think I am losing some distance but I could actually predict where it was going, slight fade or straight.

I have it set up on Draw +2 and the ones I really caught clean were mid high and bombs (for me maybe 250). Out on the toe I lost quite a bit in yardage but it was in the fairway. I don't swing fast enough to need the X but maybe the way I swing it works, today was the honeymoon so the next couple of rounds will tell the tale.

Next month when you are ready to change drivers, let me know.. I'll buy it from you

Ha, Ha, Ha,
You will get the 1st shot at it!, but this one feels like the real deal.

Might end up with a different shaft or two, that would take me into June or July tinkering around.

The DBD may be the best sounding driver I've played. If you're used to that high pitched sound, it's going to sound odd but IMO this is how a driver should sound. A very muted thwack! To me, very much like listening to baseball with aluminum bats vs wooden. One just sounds more pure.

Blu hows the DD working out for you?

Better. The shaft is definately stouter. A tour spec X will so that. It is amazing, for as forgiving as the 815a was, the DBD is not at all.

This isn't the case where an oem is claiming this head to be more for the better player just because they can. The DBD is not a point and shoot club. I'm not sure if I am one of those better players, but the club is in the bag and so far, my distances have gotten back to where I saw them with the SLDR 430

Better. The shaft is definately stouter. A tour spec X will so that. It is amazing, for as forgiving as the 815a was, the DBD is not at all.

This isn't the case where an oem is claiming this head to be more for the better player just because they can. The DBD is not a point and shoot club. I'm not sure if I am one of those better players, but the club is in the bag and so far, my distances have gotten back to where I saw them with the SLDR 430

Think the distance improvement is spin based? You saying that about forgiveness has me certain I need the 815 Alpha instead of the DBD.

Think the distance improvement is spin based? You saying that about forgiveness has me certain I need the 815 Alpha instead of the DBD.

I do think it is partly spin based. I am seeing about 600 rpm less spin. The 815a seemed to go relatively the same distance no matter where I made contact (not a bad thing), I just didn't like the distance they were all going.

The DBD is much less forgiving in that, it seemed like my distances were a little less consistent. Now directionally, the DBD is pretty darn good.

The rat bast@#$ that won the bid on my 545 did not pay so I am going to try the Rogue Stiff tomorrow in a head to head range session with the Rogue X. Should be fun to see how they compare in the DBD head.

Just to update, Callaway replied to my email to them on Wednesday and asked me to call customer service so I did and they were great to deal with. Without any hesitation they offered to send me the full weight kit which will also include the 7 and 3 gram weights. I imagine they're shipping from California so I should have them sometime next week.

I know it wasn't a big deal overall and I could've fixed it myself, but after spending that kind of money on a driver it was nice to see Callaway be so easy to work with.

So I think Kyle (flog2424) may be in love with the DBD. He crushed it high, long and straight all day long.

So I think Kyle (flog2424) may be in love with the DBD. He crushed it high, long and straight all day long.

Yes..... It is good, really good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back