Genuine Question For THPers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great read, I have only been to one event and there was no equipment tie in.
But I will say if there would have been, and if there was a time limit or other similar requirement to test the clubs, I wouldn't hesitate at all to sign up.

I think it only helps. It helps the company get feedback on their product, and it helps everyone here on THP looking at that honest feedback.
If anything, if that stipulation was out there, it might make someone think twice about signing up if they have any thoughts about not giving the equipment a fair tryout.

I think this might be a good idea. At least for the events that include a full 14 clubs or an iron set.
I don't see any real negatives to it. And I think the majority of people here would still gladly sign up for the event.

Personally, I don't change equipment all that frequently so if this were equipment I selected etc. I would play it, give feedback and whatever else was expected. If it fit me well I would play for good while. If it didn't work for me I would look to do a trade through the marketplace on THP, I doubt I would sell it, just doesn't seem right.

Maybe on a 14 club deal we should have to send in our current set of gamers or at least irons? I'd do it, I think it might be a good idea to invest a little in to it.

I will elaborate more later, but I believe you should give every club a thorough review before replacing it. By this I mean trying to answer questions, posting your thoughts in the appropriate threads. Just my feelings though

This. I would give my new stuff a chance to be reviewed and even liked by me before I off it.

Maybe on a 14 club deal we should have to send in our current set of gamers or at least irons? I'd do it, I think it might be a good idea to invest a little in to it.

That seems slightly excessive to me.

I have more invested in my irons than most people though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think if a company invested the time and made the effort to work with THP to get an event together, took the time to custom fit me into a full set of clubs, then I would feel like I owe it to that manufacturer to play those clubs, tell others my honest opinion on them (not just THPers) for at least 2-3 months.

Continuing to play them would depend on if I felt they were just as good, or better than what I already had. If felt like they weren't as good then I'd share that respectfully and let them know because it wouldn't do either them or myself any good to just say that the clubs were the best if they weren't.

I wouldn't call it an obligation but I would say I would show my gratitude and repay the gesture by providing honest feedback and putting them in play and gave them a chance.

Just seeing this thread...
I have always been one not to change equipment very quickly and don't see that changing any time soon.

Honestly IMO if I was in a bigtime THP event that provided equipment, and I have, I would game that equipment for sometime to come as I for one selected it. Now should there be a time limit? I would say no, however at the same time I hope people don't turn around a sell that equipment faster then they games it.

For one I know my J40 DPC MC clubs will never leave my possession because they hold way too much sentimental value.

Now that I'm behind a keyboard I can properly type out my thoughts. I feel as if receiving clubs as part of the event, whether the event was free or not you should have to provide feedback in their appropriate threads. Now I for one am most likely guilty of not doing so as much as I should. Partly because I feel as if I can't really put my thoughts out as well as I could talk about them. All I can really provide is how they perform for me and feel so to speak. It's something I've had talks with my Capt of the Morgan Cup about and seeing his passion for giving clubs and manufacturers for that matter their time that is owed to them, and something I swore to myself I will do a much better job of moving forward if I'm lucky enough to be selected into an event that I receive clubs from. I'll be the first to admit that I wasn't the most knowledgable when ordering my Morgan Cup bag so I don't feel as if the clubs I got are the best fit for me and the only person I have to blame for that is myself. I did play them for awhile but wasn't seeing results I was used to so I switched. That being said I haven't nor would I ever sell any equipment I've gotten as part of the event or anything like that. Trade? Maybe? I get emotionally attached to clubs and it's hard to part ways even if I don't play them. I guess I got long winded but my short answer would be the testers or receivers of the equipment should at least put the clubs through their paces and talk about them.

I played my Morgan Cup equipment for a long time before moving on (kind of). I had the a12OS testing clubs in for a long time before the Callaways, and they are both still in the rotation, so I really haven't stopped playing them. Those two are my main clubs, although at the moment, I have at least one club from all of my sets in my bag right now, except for the Nikes. That's not normal, just how I ended 2014 and haven't played yet this year so I haven't changed my bag.

Now that I'm behind a keyboard I can properly type out my thoughts. I feel as if receiving clubs as part of the event, whether the event was free or not you should have to provide feedback in their appropriate threads

Jimmy....your feedback could be YouTube videos of you hitting the clubs and I don't think anyone would complain.

Jimmy....your feedback could be YouTube videos of you hitting the clubs and I don't think anyone would complain.

Adam! I greatly appreciate that buddy!! I suppose I just need to get more detailed in writing my thoughts down if I'm lucky enough to be in that position again. I just felt like what I would say wouldn't be the most descriptive or thorough and wouldn't do the clubs justice. But like I said it's something I'm going to change if I'm lucky enough to be in the position again. Starting with my J15's!

Adam! I greatly appreciate that buddy!! I suppose I just need to get more detailed in writing my thoughts down if I'm lucky enough to be in that position again. I just felt like what I would say wouldn't be the most descriptive or thorough and wouldn't do the clubs justice. But like I said it's something I'm going to change if I'm lucky enough to be in the position again. Starting with my J15's!

You don't need to write a detailed project plan or anything. I'm not half the ball striker you are but I don't let that stop me from commenting on every club I hit. Just put down what you experience and go with it. I get the most out of the shorter posts. As long as you don't put, "could use a little more forgiveness on shots off the hosel," I wouldn't think any different if you.

I think for the most part most THPers are really good about keeping their stuff for a period of time that lets them form an opinion and put it on to the interwebs

I had about 10-15 sets of irons in 2 years. I finally got fit for my current gamers and have had them since December (long for me). Every time I flirt with other irons I think about how my current ones are fit for me and I restrain myself. I feel that thinking like that should keep us from getting rid of a bag of 14clubs. That being said there is also a sentimental factor. I havent been fortunate enough to make it into a THP event. Everything I hear about them tho is they are epic and create life long memories. With that kind of emotional attachment to an event I know I could never part ways with the clubs. Maybe if they were really hurting my game id make them my "backup" set but I would never get rid of them.

I understand club hoe'ing because im pretty bad with it. But its definitely scummy when I know someone went and got personally fit at an event like Personal Distance and I see a diff driver in their signature a few weeks later.

Personally if I think if I get into a event where a full bag is given to me I would play it for the season at least unless it turns out to be the damaging to my game.

This is what I'm thinking...play them as long as it doesn't hurt my game. But compared to what I have now, it could only improve my game.

So many have hit on the exact points I would make. And although I'm a bit late to this party. Here is my 2 cents worth. I feel as though there is an absolute obligation by any and all that have had this opportunity. Specifically if you've been through a fitting process of there latest and greatest at the time. With the Grandaddy we were afforded that opportunity. So I don't understand how it wouldn't work for someone. If it's a case of getting something that didn't work, well then the onus goes back on that THPer.

A time line? Not so much really.
There have been a case of things making it to Ebay. I won't go into specifics because it's not important.

I also think it's an obligation for people to invest back into the forum. Tell your story about the equipment, the good the bad and the ugly. Even after the excitement wears off. It's how we all learn, and it's grist for the mill.

We've seen people dip out after various events. It pisses me off, but in the end they have to live with there choices. True colors seem to shine once the spot light is faded.

I still have all of my grandaddy bag, I don't game the equipment currently. The equipment I'm currently gaming was given to me by a close friend here. And it holds a special place in my heart much like the grandaddy gear.
But honestly, all the equipment is really awesome, but my biggest joy of all this is the experiences is with the personal connection I make along the way.
When it comes time to move on from any equipment I've been fortunate enough to be given through an event. I will either pay it forward to another THPer or I will donate it to a High School golf team or the first tee. I don't feel it's honorable to make any money off anything I was given.

Having gone through the experience myself, I don't know what is right in terms of how long you should play the equipment. I think it's more important to be around to give feedback on the equipment on the forum before and after the events than keeping it in the bag for a year or however long. The two clubs I struggled with (putter and hybrid), didn't stay in my bag more than a month or two after the event. I tried to make it work, but I really had issues with them. The irons, wedges, and driver are a great fit. Looking back on it, I was probably better off going with another model putter but that is on me. The other equipment is still in the bag and has been a conversation piece about the manufacturer off the website with friends or random people I'm paired with.

I took a few hours to think of my response before commenting here.

I have wondered exactly why people disappear it feels after they get the opportunity to receive such an amazing opportunity to get properly fitted for a complete set and play golf with the amazing people on this site.

I haven't been given the opportunity to receive a full bag fitting but if I did I would treat it like an experience like no other. (I would expect no less than anyone else in this situation but everyone is different)...

There should be some kind of obligation to review the clubs to the best of their ability whether they were fit for them or just off the rack.

As for a time line, I don't feel it would be fair to place a time line for this. Mostly because not everyone can play year round, or several times a week. Alot of the testers might have easier access to a range compared to a full course. However as long as that person provides honest feedback thay should be the least they can do.

In addition, as for getting rid of the equipment, I personally have a hard time getting rid of sentimental items so I doubt I would ever get rid of the clubs and bag. (I don't see myself ever throwing out the Adicross shoes I won on here for thay reason) however if I weren't going to keep the items I would 100% pay it forward. I wouldn't feel comfortable making money of something I know other people spent alot of time and $$ to provide me with their product.

Tap tap taparoo

I took a few hours to think of my response before commenting here.

I have wondered exactly why people disappear it feels after they get the opportunity to receive such an amazing opportunity to get properly fitted for a complete set and play golf with the amazing people on this site.

I haven't been given the opportunity to receive a full bag fitting but if I did I would treat it like an experience like no other. (I would expect no less than anyone else in this situation but everyone is different)...

There should be some kind of obligation to review the clubs to the best of their ability whether they were fit for them or just off the rack.

As for a time line, I don't feel it would be fair to place a time line for this. Mostly because not everyone can play year round, or several times a week. Alot of the testers might have easier access to a range compared to a full course. However as long as that person provides honest feedback thay should be the least they can do.

In addition, as for getting rid of the equipment, I personally have a hard time getting rid of sentimental items so I doubt I would ever get rid of the clubs and bag. (I don't see myself ever throwing out the Adicross shoes I won on here for thay reason) however if I weren't going to keep the items I would 100% pay it forward. I wouldn't feel comfortable making money of something I know other people spent alot of time and $$ to provide me with their product.

Tap tap taparoo
Well said

I think if I chose the equipment, I would give it a few months to thoroughly determine if I liked it or not. If it was a random bag not of my choosing, I may part ways much quicker.

No right or wrong answer? Good..... Full disclosure, I have skimmed at least every page but have not read every single response word for word. Saw this earlier and wanted to give an opinion away from the distractions of work. Been thinking about this off and on all day. So here we go:

First, who wouldn't want to experience something like this right? I (as well as others have) can tell you it is nothing short of a humbling experience. It is #Awesome! I'm getting what?! Are you serious?

In my opinion, if a manufacturer has taken the time (in whatever fashion it happens) to select ME to represent their goods and company in whatever competition they have been generous enough to participate in at THP, then it is incumbent upon me to hold up my end of the bargain by educating myself and making an informed decision about what I will use, bring my best swing to bear to showcase the product and share my experience for as long as possible. Now, all of that can't happen in a short period of time, so I will give it my all for as long as possible both good and not so good.

Now, having never experienced anything like this and being a pretty loyal soul, I will ALWAYS be a Bridgestone homer because of what they and THP have done for me. I did not get along with the Hybos, but everything else I received is a gamer..... I DO rotate putters though :act-up:. Bonus? The gear works for me too. It's no secret that the Bridgestone guys will be getting a second set of irons. Does that mean my stuff goes up for sale?........ I could just never do it, so no. If In the end, I made it into 20 different events and got gear from all of them, it would NEVER go up....nope.....never. It would be highly sentimental for reasons other than performance, BUT if something doesn't work out, I would gladly pay it forward to another THP'r rather then sell something, and have done so a little.

How long is appropriate? I can't say, but for me, it's still going strong. I feel obligated, but more so, enjoy sharing my sponsors great performing gear with others. I sure am glad there is no wrong answer, because many that I read were well reasoned and understandable. I hope mine was too.....

JM

Genuine Question For THPers

I've had a little more time to think about this and must admit that, in a past life, when I won a truck or a horse trailer, the minute I could sell the thing, it was on the lot.
How does that compare to golf clubs from and/or part of THP? Well, if you so desire to sell a club that was given to you or even a full bag, I ain't gonna be mad at ya. It is yours, it belongs to you. Do with it as you wish. I still have some clubs from an event and they stay around because I like to swap them in and out of the bag but should I decide to get rid of them, I will and won't bat an eye.
Just the humble opinion of a not so humble man.

I would be surprised if most people that get into a THP event don't stick with the gear for an extended period. Very few people have the opportunity to step onto the course with a full bag completely fitted for their game. The gear should at least "fit" the player and shouldn't be too detrimental to his or her game.

Also, I think it would be good form to use the equipment for awhile in order to provide quality feedback to the forum.

That said, I know I would use a new bag for at least six weeks after an event to give it a fair shake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back