Callaway XR Driver Review Thread

I love the color scheme on the XR. I also really like the head cover, even though I usually don't like this style. Can't wait to see the reviews rolling in from #theking players.
Already a few reviews out there :). Can't wait to post a few more!!

I also received my XR for #TheKing yesterday and thought I would post some first impressions. Like Kang's, mine is a 9* with a stiff shaft.

Looks. The flat black on the crown looks great. I'm not normally a huge fan of graphics on the crown, but the speed step blends in very well. In my opinion, it is not offensive at all. For those of you who like alignment aids, I think the combination of the speed step and the Callaway chevron does an excellent job of framing the ball - probably the best I've seen. I also think that the stock Project X LZ looks phenomenal with the flat black. The shaft is more of a gray, with the LZ graphics toward the grip and gets darker toward the head, which you can see in Kang's first picture, above.

Feel. I haven't had a chance to get it on the course yet, so this is just based on feel out of the box. The XR comes standard at 46", so it will likely feel a little long to those who play a shorter driver. I've been playing a 45" since late last fall, but played a 46" for about 4 years before that. So it felt slightly long to me, but I don't think it will take me much time to adjust back and that problem can be easily solved by choking down slightly. I honestly don't know what the stock grip is, but it felt just fine to me. I'll give the caveat though that I am not a grip tinkerer and probably wouldn't really have strong feelings about a grip unless it was particularly slick. The XR does feel a little lighter than normal to me, likely because the LZ is 56g and I've never played a shaft quite that light.

I'm hoping to be able to sneak out to the range with this one tomorrow at some point, so I'll be back with some more feedback after I've really had a chance to hit it and see how it performs for me. I'm looking forward to gaming this for the foreseeable future, so if anyone has any specific questions, feel free to throw them out there and I'll do my best to answer. The drivers I have to compare it against are the Callaway RazrHawk with the stock Aldila RIP (made for) shaft, which I think is about 65g, but could be 60g and the Callaway X2Hot Pro with a 72g D+ Whiteboard.

Quick range session and 18 holes today with xr driver. Initial feel is the club head is very forgiving. I hit some toe balls and high and low on the face balls and they were met with more carry than expected. I didn't have my best tee game today and most drives were playable. This club can put the ball out there quite a ways, as I put a few way out in the fairway and way out of bounds too lol. The sound off the face gets a bit metallic tingy when you stray from center face but it's not unpleasant. Well struck shots produce a good tone, slightly higher pitch than 815 alpha or the DBD. Will take a bit more time to really dial it in but after 2 holes I lofted down to 8 degrees and was getting a good ball flight. I was seeing a bit too high ball flight with it at 9 degrees. That's saying a lot about the launch characteristic of the club as I normally game a 9.5 driver. Af far as the shafts length and whether or not the shafts fits my swing well or not, those are still a bit of a question mark since I didn't have my best swing. Initial impression is HIGH LAUNCH and MAXIMUM FORGIVENESS. The two combined should please a great many golfers

High launch and max forgiveness u say...

High launch and max forgiveness u say...
From my experience with demos on the range I think you're spot on with the higher launch and max forgiveness.... I can't say enough about how good it was on misses.
Quick range session and 18 holes today with xr driver. Initial feel is the club head is very forgiving. I hit some toe balls and high and low on the face balls and they were met with more carry than expected. I didn't have my best tee game today and most drives were playable. This club can put the ball out there quite a ways, as I put a few way out in the fairway and way out of bounds too lol. The sound off the face gets a bit metallic tingy when you stray from center face but it's not unpleasant. Well struck shots produce a good tone, slightly higher pitch than 815 alpha or the DBD. Will take a bit more time to really dial it in but after 2 holes I lofted down to 8 degrees and was getting a good ball flight. I was seeing a bit too high ball flight with it at 9 degrees. That's saying a lot about the launch characteristic of the club as I normally game a 9.5 driver. Af far as the shafts length and whether or not the shafts fits my swing well or not, those are still a bit of a question mark since I didn't have my best swing. Initial impression is HIGH LAUNCH and MAXIMUM FORGIVENESS. The two combined should please a great many golfers

Nice looking club. And it appears to be a solid performer, particularly regarding forgiveness and distance. But dang, 46" is long.

I love that they partnered with Project X for the LZ in this one. Watch more Tour Pros test this than just about any other shaft I can remember.

Nice looking club. And it appears to be a solid performer, particularly regarding forgiveness and distance. But dang, 46" is long.
It is... but it swing weights at d5 so trimming half inch shouldn't bother too many. Any more maybe not lol. It really didn't bother me as much as I thought. I just grip and rip lol.

Got my 10.5* Stiff driver today thanks to THP and Callaway as a participant of the king. Kang's done a pretty good job with pictures so I don't really have anything to add, but I did have a question for anyone else who has one or is familiar with with the optifit system.

The instructions say 1 cog should have a S, +1, +2, and -1 and the other should have N and D for lie adjustment. One of my cogs has S, D , +1, N, and the other has N, -1, D, and +2. I'm new to this adjustment system, so am I missing something based on the directions, or is something messed up with my setup?

No your adaptor is fine. Sometimes the loft adjustment is on top cog sometimes not. Depends on what setting you want.

No your adaptor is fine. Sometimes the loft adjustment is on top cog sometimes not. Depends on what setting you want.
Makes a ton of sense while I look at it. Thanks Kang. It really is such a versatile adapter, and I love that it doesn't mess with the grip orientation.

Makes a ton of sense while I look at it. Thanks Kang. It really is such a versatile adapter, and I love that it doesn't mess with the grip orientation.
I really don't like when the grip turns when you make adjustments. The Callaway adaptor is great for that. If only they made settings for flatter lie angle instead of the upright (draw) setting... it would help us shorter people who miss left lol

Crazy looking forward to all the long term thoughts of #TheKing participants in here.

Received my 10.5 stiff XR driver last night. Hoping to get to the range today or tomorrow. First initial thought is this is a really nice looking club. I like the matte black crown. Took a few swing in the backyard and like the feel.

Thank you again THP and Callaway.

And those from UST.

We are going to have TONS of thoughts in here

I hope so dude. Hopefully no vanishing acts, because both of these things are pretty damn special. Its a lot of cool gear in a lot of hands for a LOT of potential feedback.

Plus, I selfishly want to know TONS more about this head! :alien:

I hope so dude. Hopefully no vanishing acts, because both of these things are pretty damn special. Its a lot of cool gear in a lot of hands for a LOT of potential feedback.

Plus, I selfishly want to know TONS more about this head! :alien:

I promise I shall not vanish

I'm looking forward to getting fit into this head. Love the look of the XR woods and have been enjoying the 3W and 7W for several weeks now, they are hot and responsive with the 7W being an absolute goto money club. Have high hopes for the Driver, have purposely not hit it despite temptation.

I'm looking forward to getting fit into this head. Love the look of the XR woods and have been enjoying the 3W and 7W for several weeks now, they are hot and responsive with the 7W being an absolute goto money club. Have high hopes for the Driver, have purposely not hit it despite temptation.

Why did I not realize you had the fairways???? DANGIT!!!

Cant wait to put some feedback in here. Maybe some day it will actually get here. 13 business days and counting.....arghhh

I should have said something - my bad in that one

LOL! No worries dude, you were tolerating Cookie and I, that is enough to focus on!

Initial thoughts is that the shaft is long. Upon checking it plays at 46". Stock swing weight is d5 so if some people wanted to chop off half an inch it should still play at about d2 which is not too bad at all. I'll be leaving it at stock length and be choking down about half inch. Tomorrow will have for at range session and on course testing.

Just curious how you come up with a swing weight of D5? Website says D3.

Mens 2015 XR Driver Product Specs

View All Custom Shafts
ModelLoftAvailabilityLengthLieCCSwing Weight
AdjustableRH / LH46"Adjustable460D3
10.5°AdjustableRH / LH46"Adjustable460D3
12°AdjustableRH / LH Custom Only46"Adjustable460D3
13.5°AdjustableRH / LH Custom Only46"Adjustable460D3

Just curious how you come up with a swing weight of D5? Website says D3.

Mens 2015 XR Driver Product Specs

View All Custom Shafts
ModelLoftAvailabilityLengthLieCCSwing Weight
AdjustableRH / LH46"Adjustable460D3
10.5°AdjustableRH / LH46"Adjustable460D3
12°AdjustableRH / LH Custom Only46"Adjustable460D3
13.5°AdjustableRH / LH Custom Only46"Adjustable460D3
Measured on my swing weight scale

Back