The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm hitting the ball very solid this year. But my chipping/pitching is horrid. Sad how one element of the golf game excels and another suffers or hinders. A never ending story for me since day 1 , can never get it all going well together

I think I'm going back to my old Cleveland wedges for now. A little more sole and bounce to them, and I think that will help the very soft conditions of the courses around here. I keep going right under the ball with the Vokey's, but they have very low bounce and ground off soles, so hopefully that little extra stuff to the Clevelands will help a little.

I feel like last week was a definite progress week for my game.

-Iron play finally came around (mainly due to a switch back to Altitudes). Tee shots and fairway shots launching high, on target, and with distance I can rely on.

-Putting speed and alignment improved as well. 5' & in had been perfect so far. Outside 10 feet there have been some bumps with pace control that finally started coming around.

The goal for the next week? Short game practice. Instead of hitting the range/practice facility I have been playing a smaller par 3 course. This has caused a bit of a deficiency in my pitching/chipping practice. Instead of hitting a bucket on the practice green (so 100 shots or so), I might be hitting 12 shots a round total. Time for some short game focused practice. Distance of my first putts has been in the 15-20' range lately, and that is not good for me. Need to get that distance tightened up (especially if I am 20 yards off the green, and am leaving myself a 20' first putt).

Took a lesson yesterday and now have a new setup and working on not swaying in both the backswing and downswing. Will be lots of range time coming to work on this as well as lots of mirror drills to check my positions.

Have noticed this thread before but have never posted because I normally don't go to the range. I used to do a drill for my short game that helped a lot. Have enough room to hit 80 to 90 yards. Would throw a plastic bucket lid (frisbee may work better) and that would be my target for three or four balls, then pick it up and pick another direction and do it again. Different distances and lies all the time. I think most of the short game is feel and this really helps. Not unusual for me to have the best short game of the group I'm in, when you don't have distance it's nice to be able to make up for it somewhere.

Have noticed this thread before but have never posted because I normally don't go to the range. I used to do a drill for my short game that helped a lot. Have enough room to hit 80 to 90 yards. Would throw a plastic bucket lid (frisbee may work better) and that would be my target for three or four balls, then pick it up and pick another direction and do it again. Different distances and lies all the time. I think most of the short game is feel and this really helps. Not unusual for me to have the best short game of the group I'm in, when you don't have distance it's nice to be able to make up for it somewhere.

Cool idea. I'm going to try this at the park next time I go out. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heading to the range today with the FlightScope and a handful of drivers. Will grab some data on my gamer vs a few other ones as well as work on fine tuning what I am working with.

That would be so cool to have JB. Looking forward to your thoughts.

That would be so cool to have JB. Looking forward to your thoughts.

THP Events brother...It will be out at most of them.

[video=youtube;Z-s99Jlq0Mc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-s99Jlq0Mc[/video]

I watched this video earlier in the week, and since incorporating having the left arm/shoulder aimed at the target when parallel with the ground, my striking has become far more consistent.

The THP Range/Practice Thread

Fixing what I've already fixed but showed back up during play in ky- left knee dipping toward the ball during the backswing, weight not staying on inside of right foot, trying to get extra length in the backswing by tilting toward the target at the top.

I know I have enough power/speed when I make the proper shoulder turn around a solid base, my eyes don't lie neither do the numbers I just need to quit being an idiot and do it the right way and keep a solid practice schedule.

Last edited:
Just an okay session today.

Pelz partial shots were okay. Not horrible or anything but it is evident that I have not been practicing.

Irons were pretty good. I wasn't compressing balls that great but directionally things were very solid.

Driver was not nearly good enough. I keep hitting it low on the face and also blocking it right. I may need some professional help - can't quite figure out what I'm doing wrong. I must be coming up an out of it but in my head swing through the ball feels off, like I have a negative angle of attack.

Last edited:
A ton of time working with the putter today.
Straight putts with a gate drill and I'm happy that I seem to have no problem putting the ball on my intended line time after time after time.

I am going to look into some drills to get help me become a better green reader. I tend to read too much break lately and miss on the high side.

Fixing what I've already fixed but showed back up during play in ky- left knee dipping toward the ball during the backswing, weight not staying on inside of right foot, trying to get extra length in the backswing by tilting toward the target at the top.

I know I have enough power/speed when I make the proper shoulder turn around a solid base, my eyes don't lie neither do the numbers I just need to quit being an idiot and do it the right way and keep a solid practice schedule.

I went through some notes from past lessons on what I've been working on with my instructor and what thoughts made things click along with the drills to accompany them.

So I went back out behind the station to hit my birdie balls with simple goals
- slow wide backswing
- load weight on inside of right leg
- left knee doesn't move toward the ball
- turn with shoulders and when left shoulder reaches chin your done
-swing in to out at half speed
-start rotating the right hand to square the club face as soon as the downswing starts

I know they aren't real balls but the difference in flight was obviously lower and traveling farther than a "full" swing

Solid practice session again, pleased with how my short games improved in a short amount of time

Had an amazing session yesterday after my lesson that went really well.

Today I hit the ball ok at best. Went to Plum Creek with Maddog and it was so so. I could tell I didn't have much concentration today tho. Just wasn't as focused as I was yesterday for whatever reason. Then Maddog and I played a practice 9 holes and it was more of the same. I'm struggling a bit to bring my range tempo to the course. For whatever reason I'm getting quick on the course where on the range I can keep it nice and smooth. Definitely going to start buckling down and focusing more now that the season is underway.

Had an amazing session yesterday after my lesson that went really well.

Today I hit the ball ok at best. Went to Plum Creek with Maddog and it was so so. I could tell I didn't have much concentration today tho. Just wasn't as focused as I was yesterday for whatever reason. Then Maddog and I played a practice 9 holes and it was more of the same. I'm struggling a bit to bring my range tempo to the course. For whatever reason I'm getting quick on the course where on the range I can keep it nice and smooth. Definitely going to start buckling down and focusing more now that the season is underway.
Funny you mention the range/course tempo. That's my big work in progress too...and getting the weight transfer to transfer to the course as well. Feeling like I have to help the ball instead of letting it just get in the way. Says easy...does hard for me.

Heading to the range today with the FlightScope and a handful of drivers. Will grab some data on my gamer vs a few other ones as well as work on fine tuning what I am working with.

That's freaking awesome Josh. How cool is it to be the only guy on the range with a personal flightscope?

Actually, now that I think about it, maybe not cool. You probably get lots of people asking to hit some shots on it.

Hit a big bucket of balls yesterday afternoon. First time using alignment sticks and it helped me figure out sometimes I actually aim left of my target. Still really happy about how high I'm hitting the ball. Just a small grip change is making a huge difference. I notice as I get more tired, I try to swing harder and that caused some issues. Really gotta work on tempo late in the round.

Played like crap yesterday. Mostly just a 2.5 hour game of golf swing. Too many things going through my head and yea. Thumbs down.

I went to the range afterwards, but in general I'm a little discouraged at the moment. I just can't seem to make myself do one of the key things that I'm working on w/ instructor. I know my body is capable of it, but for whatever reason my brain just refuses. Eff you brain.

I did bring the boy, who cheered me up since he was having a great range session. Then we went and played a game of up and down at the practice green. He even got me a couple times with some solid chip shots.

Working on a different chipping motion. Flatter aoa and using the sole to take some margin for error out of the equation.

Hawkster we all have those days just gotta press on and get at it later.

Glad you and the boy had fun though.

Hawkster we all have those days just gotta press on and get at it later.

Glad you and the boy had fun though.

Trying to teach him that getting the ball in the hole is the most important thing. Just in case he ends up with a swing like mine lol.

Hit the range for the first time in a while yesterday. It was good to hit balls.

Realized my alignment has gotten all out of sorts. Feet aimed left and shoulders aimed right. Also realized I was dropping my head during the backswing. Lots of posture/alignment issues.

The good news is that I actually started hitting the ball on the center of the club face again. I forgot what that was like.

I'm trying to work on some posture and alignment drills when I'm not at the course/range to see if I can get those feelings to stick. We'll see how that goes.

Went through two small buckets this morning working on keeping things simple and compact, then got out on the course this after noon and it paid off but I still got to Work on rotating the club faced square especially with hybrid/4i/5i as I'm pushing them right with a little cut which is no good for distance

Hit a bucket at the range. Worked timing my release and tempo. The driver felt best when I felt like I was releasing the club up by my shoulders on the downswing. Strange feeling but the results were good. I'll keep at it and see if it works next time out. I should have putted but my will is weak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back