2015 Open Championship Contest & Thread

For Phil's unplayable, could he not have taken his perfect provisional?
I was just about to ask this. They said it saved him a stroke, but I'm confused how

For Phil's unplayable, could he not have taken his perfect provisional?
I don't think you can once the ball is found. You can only hit a provisional for a ball that is lost.

I was just about to ask this. They said it saved him a stroke, but I'm confused how

he is now sitting 3 on the green instead of in the fariway

I don't think you can once the ball is found. You can only hit a provisional for a ball that is lost.
They said with the unplayable he could go back to the tee, isn't the point of a provisional to speed that process up?

With his provisional he was hitting 3 from the tee, so he'd have to hole out his next shot for par. With taking the unplayable, he is hitting 3 from his drop, giving him a chance to get on the green and make a par putt. So he essentially saves a stroke doing that.

Sitting at -3 with DJ and Tiger (wtf!) as my duo to take it home.

he is now sitting 3 on the green instead of in the fariway
Gotcha, makes sense. Thanks guys
With his provisional he was hitting 3 from the tee, so he'd have to hole out his next shot for par. With taking the unplayable, he is hitting 3 from his drop, giving him a chance to get on the green and make a par putt. So he essentially saves a stroke doing that.

Took Rickie and Oosty, really hoping the putts start to drop for Fowler.

Watching the ESPN coverage, they just showed a street view and it showed a dominos in Scotland, I forget some of those places or global, livin' in my small world!!!

I tossed over so many combinations in my mind I am not sure who I picked. I think I went with J Rose and Oosty. I can't look in my sent email folder as I must check a box telling it to save the sent email and I did not check it. Not too sure it will matter anyway as I could be 100% wrong on who I picked.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437059752.899685.jpg

Hey Guys I found where Tiger is hiding his ladies this week

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice putt by Kuch, hope he makes a good showing this week.

Dustin and Fleetwood here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tossed over so many combinations in my mind I am not sure who I picked. I think I went with J Rose and Oosty. I can't look in my sent email folder as I must check a box telling it to save the sent email and I did not check it. Not too sure it will matter anyway as I could be 100% wrong on who I picked.

maison2.gif

They said with the unplayable he could go back to the tee, isn't the point of a provisional to speed that process up?
The rule states that the provisional ball must be abandoned if the ball isn't lost or out of bounds. I'd presume if he wanted to play from the tee as his option for the unplayable, he'd have to go back and play from the tee again.

Decision 27-2c/c talks about the player having to abandon his provisional ball when it was a good shot and he may not have even wanted to find his original ball but it was found. At that point, the provisional ball is abandoned.

Apparently Zach is only putting today because ESPN seems to feel the need to show every shot of Phil's and Ricky's as well as a number of other's but nothing but putts by Zach, who is having a rather tidy round.

I thought about it a different way. The provisional ball can only be used if the only option to you is to go back and hit from your previous spot. That's why it only applies to a ball lost outside a hazard or out of bounds. Since you have other options available to you for unplayable or hazards, you shouldn't get the benefit of knowing how your ball played from the previous spot ended up before you have to make that decision.

Rickie cant be happy with that. Wedges letting him down a bit. 10 yards off the green or so after drive and still has 15-20 feet left.

Phil, what was that??

What an amazing wood shot from ZJ there, holy cow!

I picked Oostie and Rose. Not looking bad so far

The rule states that the provisional ball must be abandoned if the ball isn't lost or out of bounds. I'd presume if he wanted to play from the tee as his option for the unplayable, he'd have to go back and play from the tee again.

Decision 27-2c/c talks about the player having to abandon his provisional ball when it was a good shot and he may not have even wanted to find his original ball but it was found. At that point, the provisional ball is abandoned.

The concept of a provisional is to save time for lost balls or balls out of bounds the way i understand it. if you find your ball all options available have to be done with that ball including going back to re-tee because he could possibly hit that OB, lose it or other trouble.

someone tell ZJ the white sunglasses over a black winter hat is not a good look

Back