deuce

Grenade!
Reaction score
Was looking at this stat in US Handicap and it was quite telling. At this point in my playing career I'm only slightly better than a double bogey golfer.

Par 3 - 4.8 strokes
Par 4 - 5.5 strokes
Par 5 - 6.3 strokes

Oddly enough, my worst play comes when playing Par 3's.

What are other people's par performance stats, and is there a way to approach each category so I can get those numbers down?

The stats say your ball striking is a bit tough right now and your putting and chipping is not making up for it.

Keep the ball in front of you on longer holes
Play to your strengths and take less chances
Putt and Chip better by working on the stroke over and over

Yeah, about 20% of my holes result in the dreaded "other". It's usually due to a really bad tee shot, or horrible mistakes around the green. Trying to find time to groove the swing, getting back for a short game lesson soon. My goal is to get those numbers to "bogey golf" status (or better) before the summer ends.

Not surprised by your par 3 thoughts, fewer chances to recover from a miss and still make par. Mine tend to be higher to par on par 3's and right around par on par 5's, will have to compile the numbers better before giving a solid answer.

If I knew I would tell you. My numbers are very similar to yours:

Par 3: 4.1
Par 4: 5.5
Par 5: 6.4

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433432853.313942.jpg

Here's mine. I'm a 17 HDCP. Trying to play smarter has helped me. I approach each hole trying to get a 5 or better.
I recently shot an 89 on the toughest course around. What JB said helped. Play to my strengths and make smart decisions based on my skill.
I'm going to work on improving this stat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Here's mine.

6934e5582a203eb5ded3ad5fd2dd399c.jpg

I don't hit a ton of GIRs, so I imagine a better short game would really help bring these down.

Here's mine.

I don't hit a ton of GIRs, so I imagine a better short game would really help bring these down.
Yeah, I don't hit many GIR's either (only about 19%) so I really need to hammer home that short game.

Yeah, I don't hit many GIR's either (only about 19%) so I really need to hammer home that short game.
I'm around 30%. Usually the misses aren't by much, but I have very little touch for those short chip shots and my up and down percent is stupid low because of it.

What are your guys putting numbers? Mine is at 2.1. I only started tracking 9 rounds ago so not a large sample size.

My part five numbers suffer from my short game big time. I'm usually pretty close to the green in three but then it will take me 3-4 chips/putts to finish. Nothing like hitting 3 shots 425 yards then taking 3-4 more to go the next 25yrds. The four parts 5s on my home course also have the most tricky greens. All of them have greens that slope down from back to front. A small tap with the putter that misses the hole will result in a 12' back up the slope. Really need to work on making sure I'm below the cup as I lose quite a few strokes trying to navigate the tricky greens.

Last 20 rounds

Scores by Par
Par 3's
Par 4's
Par 5's

Putting Averages

Per Hole
Per GIR

I've been good at 2-putting most greens, and the stats back it up. My biggest issues at the moment are GIR and getting approach shots closer. I've gotten a lot better at taking big numbers out of play, but I need to turn those doubles into bogeys and the bogeys into pars.

What are your guys putting numbers? Mine is at 2.1. I only started tracking 9 rounds ago so not a large sample size.

My part five numbers suffer from my short game big time. I'm usually pretty close to the green in three but then it will take me 3-4 chips/putts to finish. Nothing like hitting 3 shots 425 yards then taking 3-4 more to go the next 25yrds. The four parts 5s on my home course also have the most tricky greens. All of them have greens that slope down from back to front. A small tap with the putter that misses the hole will result in a 12' back up the slope. Really need to work on making sure I'm below the cup as I lose quite a few strokes trying to navigate the tricky greens.
According to us handicap, I average 34.5 putts per round, or 1.9/hole.

Per GHIN it looks like I'm consistently mediocre regardless of the par on a hole. Being so similar, I'm not sure if there is a way to map a path to improve from the info?

Par 3's = 3.77
Par 4's = 4.88
Par 5's = 5.75
----------
1.87 putts/hole
2.11 putts/GIR
only 18.7% up/down
51.8% FW
25.6% GIR
0.97 pen/rnd

Last edited:
From my 12 rounds for this season

Avg Score - 91.7

Par 3 - 4.10
Par 4 - 5.12
Par 5 - 6.17

FIR - 31%
GIR - 27%

Penalty Strokes - 37

Putts - 1.89

My putts per hole sits at 1.9 but the stat can be misleading (particularly if I'm missing my GIR and leaving myself with a shortish shot to make the green). My goal however is to no more than 2 putt. If you figure GIR is based on making par with two putts, that's what I am shooting for. Being a bogey golfer with a three putt average would clearly indicate my putting was atrocious, just as being a bogey golfer with a one putt average (as if) would mean another facet of my game was in total shambles.

Putting it out there makes me accountable for it so here we go...

Par 3: 3.9
Par 4: 5.0
Par 5: 5.5

Now time to bring those down...which they are...I think. Had a couple early rounds this season that are pushing everything up.

I'm not sure on my stats (don't have enough rounds to figure things out) but I'll definitely agree that par 3s can be my nemesis. I'm far more likely to get pars on a 4 or a 5 (or my rare birdies) than on a par 3. On my last round of 9, I parred two 4's, but only one 3. The other two par 3s were bogey & double.

Par 3's - 3.52
Par 4's - 4.74
Par 5's - 5.55

The above is my scoring by hole type for 2014. I'll edit in and add stats for YTD 2015.

2015:
Par 3's - 3.56
Par 4's - 4.80
Par 5's - 5.61

Last edited:
Here is my stats (2015):

Par 3- 4.2
Par 4- 5.2
Par 5- 5.8
Avg. Putts- 1.88
Avg. Total Score- 91.80

Dax

Here are my last 15 rounds. Currently a 16.2 index.

Par 3: 3.9
Par 4: 5.4
Par 5: 6.3

Fairways hit: 58.9%
GIR: 31%
Recovery: 8% (by far weakest part of current game)
Putting: 2.0 per hole / 2.2 per GIR

Currently, my ball striking is not great but stable. Putting is fine. My short game is weak and the current focus of my practice. I routinely am sitting in fairway <125 yards and make worse than bogey.

Par 3= 4.4
Par 4= 5.8
Par 5= 7.0
Ouch
but my putting is 1.9

FW= 27%
hole avg. 5.82

par 3 gir= 20.2%
par 4 gir= 14.1
par 5 gir= 11.6%

So basically... HELP!

Last 20 rounds:

Par 3 = 4.0
Par 4 = 5.2
Par 5 = 6.2

FW = 47.9
GIR = 24.9
Putts per round = 2.0
Putts per GIR = 2.3

My putts are coming down though - a recent putting lesson has me putting MUCH better.

I find it interesting that so many of us have such a high number on Par 5's. My first reaction was "Yeah, well that's better golfers than me who go for it a lot." But then I saw my number and I almost never go for it. So I guess it boils down to more shots on the hole = more chances to screw up.

Here are my stats from the few rounds this year that have gone into GolfShot

Par 3: 3.6
Par 4: 4.6
Par 5: 6.0

This is consistent with the fact that my driving has been pretty rough lately (and that my handicap is trending up).

Back