Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815 Driver Review Thread

Damn Ace, that's badass man. Well done dude!

That is SLICK.

My opti fit sleeve came in today so tomorrow I will drop it off with my club guy and by wednesday I should have a Project X LZ to try out.

Ballspeed, ballspeed, ballspeed. That is what I took away from tonight's range session. I was hitting pretty close to center (for me) on most swings, but I caught a few on the toe and some really low. Trajectory differences aside, the ballspeed I saw (measured on the Sc100) was incredible on the mishits. Sure, there was loss, but not as much as one would expect for some of these misses.

Got another range session in yesterday with the 815...off the grass this time. I kind of confirmed that I needed to loft up a degree to the +1 setting (10 deg) compared to the '14 Big Bertha when using the same Speeder 661 shaft. I definitely like the Speeder in the head though over the Diamana S+. Anyway, with that combo was seeing so many straight shots, even on swings that didn't feel like they deserved it. Switched back and hit a few with the '14 Big Bertha afterward, and the results were just plain worse than the ones with the 815. I will probably finally get it out to the course over the next week or so, and I am very excited to put it in play for real.

Got another range session in yesterday with the 815...off the grass this time. I kind of confirmed that I needed to loft up a degree to the +1 setting (10 deg) compared to the '14 Big Bertha when using the same Speeder 661 shaft. I definitely like the Speeder in the head though over the Diamana S+. Anyway, with that combo was seeing so many straight shots, even on swings that didn't feel like they deserved it. Switched back and hit a few with the '14 Big Bertha afterward, and the results were just plain worse than the ones with the 815. I will probably finally get it out to the course over the next week or so, and I am very excited to put it in play for real.

I, too, am lofting it at 11 or so degrees.

I, too, am lofting it at 11 or so degrees.

I tried it in the +2 setting, and the ball looked like it went too high, but I think with the slightly reduced spin in the 815 head, it lets me increase the loft...which is a great thing.

The other thing I have to say is it is amazing how that little shaft adjustment brings a noticeable difference to ball flight. Love the way the Callaway adapter works.

Hit mine today with the Black Tie at 10.5 D and found the Black Tie to be a bit much for me, going to put the Speeder 661 in tomorrow and loft up to 11.5 N and see how it plays.

I love reading this thread... I still cant get over how much I love mine. My PX LZ handcrafted get delivered today and I cant wait to try out this combo now!

Went out this morning before work, only had time for 5 holes. I have been using the Rogue and liking it but had to turn it down to 9.5* to keep it in our atmosphere, my previous two drivers I hit at 12* and 11.5*. Found a deal on Ebay for a Project X LZ pull from a XR for $60 so thought I would give it a try. Holy feels great Batman! I started it at 10.5* D with the core up, was using the rouge at 9.5* D core up.

I started by hitting a couple on the range and they were straighter, longer, and a little lower than the rouge. My range game rarely translates to the course so I wasn't getting to excited. Step up to the box on 1 and proceed to put my drive right in the middle of the fairway, not a common occurrence for me. Finish out the hole, bogey 5, hole two is a short par three so no driver. Step upto the tee on three and pipe another right down the middle. One of the course owners is out there with me and remarks how nice of a ball flight it gave, a smile is starting to creep onto my face. Finish three, bogey 6, and jump over to 8 as I need to get to work. Eight is a straight par four with trees left and right, my usual second shot is from behind a tree on the right. Pull the driver and put it in the fairway again, right side just before the rough. It was nice to hit a short iron into the green on my second shot instead of having to punch out of the trees, finish with a par.

Head to hole nine which is a slight dog leg right with an elevated tee box playing down to the short par 4 green. There are a few trees left and more trees and the driving range right. I pull driver and hit one of my longest drives ever to leave me with a 50 yard pitch onto the green, ended up two putting for par.

Really wish I had time for more holes but needed to leave for work. I know it was only four drives on the course and less than a dozen on the range but I'm really excited with how this shaft performed. Can't wait until Saturday morning to go back out for more and Sunday I'm playing in my first ever tourney. Really hoping I can maintain and grow the confidence I had in this shaft today!

Mine arrived today and I was setting it up. I noticed my gravity core was slightly bent when I removed it. Has anyone else seen this?? I don't think it will affect anything but I was surprised to see it.

Mine arrived today and I was setting it up. I noticed my gravity core was slightly bent when I removed it. Has anyone else seen this?? I don't think it will affect anything but I was surprised to see it.

Thats crazy, got a pic? I've never really seen that, but I've also never paid a ton of focus to the core when I flip it.

f6afd1e9c5ef0cb98d5ddd4dee854fd6.jpg

Tough to see but you can tell its slightly curved.

After a long day, I got to play Bay Hill on the sim. I was hitting driver all over the face today, and the ball speed retention is almost unfair. I can't wait to get this outside.

Man that is bizarre. Was it purchased new and from a retailer?

I can honestly say I've never seen anything like that before. Craaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaazy.

If that was purchased at a retailer brand new then I would definitely call callaway customer support

Brand new from a retailer. I thought it was odd also. Thanks for confirming that it wasn't just my OCD. Lol.

Just an FYI I called Cally customer service and they never heard of this either. Not sure if I got a one off defect or not but they are sending me a new core.

Glad to hear it worked out for you.

Just an FYI I called Cally customer service and they never heard of this either. Not sure if I got a one off defect or not but they are sending me a new core.

If they have you sending the old one back ask them to let you know what happened if they will, I forgot to ask when I swapped a Big Bertha head that had bubbled clear coat on the top. I wish I had found out what they thought had happened on it as I have not heard of anyone else having that issue.

If they have you sending the old one back ask them to let you know what happened if they will, I forgot to ask when I swapped a Big Bertha head that had bubbled clear coat on the top. I wish I had found out what they thought had happened on it as I have not heard of anyone else having that issue.
I did send the pic so they could investigate. If I hear anything back I'll post in here. I was shocked since I haven't even hit it yet.

Are they letting you keep the bent core? If so I would be curious to see if it affects ball performance vs the straight core, in any.

So, this driver and I have a strange relationship.

I was at first hesitant to believe it could be anywhere near what Bertha was for me last year, then got one on a whim just to test.

Then everything I threw at it, it took. About 6 other drivers it chewed up and spit out for my needs. Its insane.

The last driver I enjoyed THIS much was the Nickent 4DX or the SuperTri. High standings IMO.

Its long, its forgiving as eff, it launches redonkulously well, it looks good, it sounds great and I absolutely murder the ball with it.

Back