Ernie Els: Swing Sequence

That is very cool! Thanks for posting. Actually a couple of things in that breakdown that I would like to adopt.

Thanks for posting this BigLefty.

I don't understand #6 (key move #2). Are they saying he just drops is right elbow down before doing anything else? If you go back to 5 you will see in 6 that his hips have started rotating as well. I think he starts the swing from the bottom up and his right elbow automatically drops down without any conscious effort/thought on his part.

I like how he doesn't allow his left arm to break down at the top. Something I'm working on by shortening by back swing.

I don't understand this one: You can smash it by using one of Ernie's tricks. Once you feel your hands ahead of the ball, straighten your arms and release the hinge in your wrists.

I would think this is done automatically i.e., that the nature of the swing "makes" it happen.

Is it common to hinge your wrist so much so quickly in the takeaway???

About 180* out from this....

stricker1.jpg

Is it common to hinge your wrist so much so quickly in the takeaway???

This is one of Leadbetters corner stones to his teaching and where Ernie developed an early wrist hinge. Leadbetter believes that hinging your wrist early keeps you from getting into what he calls the "dead zone". The "dead zone" is defined as too flat of a backswing where you are now stuck and have to swing over the top to get back to the ball. However, everybody has a different time in their swing of setting their wrists even if it is early as compared to most. Ernie's wrist set is especially early in the swing. :thumb:

I don't understand #6 (key move #2). Are they saying he just drops is right elbow down before doing anything else? If you go back to 5 you will see in 6 that his hips have started rotating as well. I think he starts the swing from the bottom up and his right elbow automatically drops down without any conscious effort/thought on his part.

Yeah...I hear you...not sure of who is writing this but I would think his right elbow has dropped into the slot because he began his downswing with his lower body which will cause his arms to drop into position to come from the inside...this is the move I struggle with as I always want to get to active from the top with my shoulders and arms :angry:
I don't understand this one: You can smash it by using one of Ernie's tricks. Once you feel your hands ahead of the ball, straighten your arms and release the hinge in your wrists.

I would think this is done automatically i.e., that the nature of the swing "makes" it happen.

Actually I kind of get this one as it is just a swing thought that Ernie uses to have a proper release through impact. Most amatuers tend to release the club way to early even if they execute the rest of the swing (prior to impact) correctly. They tend to want to throw their hands at the ball which causes a scopping action (worried about hitting the ball or getting it into the air). I have this same problem as my arms and hands get to active (see my quote above) and my coach has me working on the following swing thought: Once I start the proper downswing sequence (lower body first and let the arms fall into place), I think about turning my left arm (not hands) as hard as I want toward the left through impact...my old siwng was over the top and I had to hold on to keep from hitting it way left so now that I am coming from the inside if I hold on, I hit a big push. :thumb:

Ive always been in awe of Ernies fluid, easy but powerful swing. He just makes it look so easy. Hence his nicname.

Back