Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind Wedges Preview

Is that a comfort thing or was this for gapping? End of the day, you're probably right, I should just stick with what I know. Even at 58, it will almost never be used for full shots as that's something I've gone away from in general.
I originally thought I'd go 54° non-PM and 58° PM Grind, but the first golf store I stopped at only had 56° and 60° PM grinds.

Then after a few days I bought a 55° SW and figured, ok, go with the 60° PM grind. I ran back to the golf store and they were completely sold out of PM grind wedges.

I hightailed it up to another golf shop and the only PM grind they had in stock was a 58°. So now I go 50° - 55° - 58° and it messes with my OCD. BUT…the 58° does everything I would ever want this type of wedge to do for me. It's going to be a greenside only wedge for me, and I like the variety of shots I can play with it.

I was really contemplating picking up one of these and an MD2 tour grind 52. Instead I scored a brand new X Forged Tour Authentic with the old PM grind and original MD grooves. Not worried about it being old grooves. It was $12. Lol.

This thing is fun. I am so happy I added it to the bag. Spent some time in the sand with it at the range and its as easy as I have seen to get through the ball.

I got the 56 and 60 and both are so easy to play from the sand. Its a bit weird at first looking down and seeing the large face, but it gives you confidence and if you go after it the ball justs pops out with ease.Loving them so far.

Will be testing the 56* tomorrow afternoon for a bit and during the week over 3 days before trip to PGA west.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A good day on the Waldorf Astoria course.
Had some easy approaches. Just aim and shoot.
Had one deep bunker shot on damp sand, kinda firm/packed, and it came out to pin high and almost stopped exactly where it landed. It was maybe two inches away from the mark.
#stilllovingit

Ordered a 58* from Callaway. It arrived Friday afternoon. Hoping to play Monday and get the great results like you other guys.

My 56 will be here Monday, hoping the rain holds off on Tuesday so I can take it to the course and mess around on the short game area.

Messed around with it last week at a Callaway demo day. I don't see it ever having a spot in my bag definitely prefer my MD2. However it could be a good club to change it up for someone looking to get out of a funk or something.

I've been using 58 and 64 degree CC Jaws Wedges for the past 2 years. I hit them both fine 75% of the time with good results but it's that other 25% that is really costing me strokes. I've really honed in on my ball striking from my Driver (40 of 42 fairways my last 3 rounds, average drive is 240) all the way down to anything outside of 100 yards but get me inside 100 yards and I get a knot in my stomach. Based on how easy everyone is saying these things are to hit, I went down to one of our bigger pro shops in the area and checked out the 58 and 64. Hit them on the range and then took them to the chipping/pitching area. I spend about an hour with them and without a doubt they're easier to hit than my Jaws wedges are, especially from tight lies. I've been using RAZR XF irons and just started using a new set of Big Bertha Irons. Both sets are just stupid easy to hit. I've always wished there were lob wedges that felt more like GI irons and I think these are pretty close. I ordered both the 58 and 64 but I decided to order them with the UST Recoil Graphite shafts so they'd match what I have in the Big Berthas. The only difference is that the Mack Daddy's come with the 110 gram UST Recoil and the Big Bertha's are 67 gram Recoils. The stock shafts felt fine so I probably didn't need to order them with something different but I really wanted to get Lob Wedges that were as close to a match to my other irons that I decided to do it. Do you guys think I messed up by putting the graphite shafts in tho Lob Wedges? I've never had graphites in Lob Wedges before. That being said, the UST Recoils are very steel shaft like in a way.

Several here play graphite through their wedges and love it.

I've been using 58 and 64 degree CC Jaws Wedges for the past 2 years. I hit them both fine 75% of the time with good results but it's that other 25% that is really costing me strokes. I've really honed in on my ball striking from my Driver (40 of 42 fairways my last 3 rounds, average drive is 240) all the way down to anything outside of 100 yards but get me inside 100 yards and I get a knot in my stomach. Based on how easy everyone is saying these things are to hit, I went down to one of our bigger pro shops in the area and checked out the 58 and 64. Hit them on the range and then took them to the chipping/pitching area. I spend about an hour with them and without a doubt they're easier to hit than my Jaws wedges are, especially from tight lies. I've been using RAZR XF irons and just started using a new set of Big Bertha Irons. Both sets are just stupid easy to hit. I've always wished there were lob wedges that felt more like GI irons and I think these are pretty close. I ordered both the 58 and 64 but I decided to order them with the UST Recoil Graphite shafts so they'd match what I have in the Big Berthas. The only difference is that the Mack Daddy's come with the 110 gram UST Recoil and the Big Bertha's are 67 gram Recoils. The stock shafts felt fine so I probably didn't need to order them with something different but I really wanted to get Lob Wedges that were as close to a match to my other irons that I decided to do it. Do you guys think I messed up by putting the graphite shafts in tho Lob Wedges? I've never had graphites in Lob Wedges before. That being said, the UST Recoils are very steel shaft like in a way.

I used to play those Yonex Phil Mickelson wedges with the graphite shafts (now that I mention it my entire set-up including putter had graphite shafts) and the feel was incredible. The only reason I stopped playing graphite clubs was Phil left Yonex and they stopped making them. My feeling is that you just need to make sure the swing weight is still substantial enough to help you feel the head and plow through the rough and sand. I'm playing steel now but as I'm hurtling towards 40 I'm pretty sure you can pencil me in for some Recoils 4-LW in the near future.

I had another good day with my PM Grind 60* wedge yesterday. I was 1 for 2 on sand saves and got up and down 2 of the other 2 times I used it green side. The bad news is I was 1 for 13 on birdie putts. I'll be focusing on putting practice this week.

Really enjoying the 58*. Took a couple rounds to get used to the feel, now it's dialed in.

Finally got a chance to get my 58* in play today. The club worked very well out of the greenside rough and especially out of the sand. Would definitely suggest this club for anyone having trouble with bunkers shots. It was like automatic for me with this club.

I played Aerotechs in a Bridgestone wedge set that I had and loved it. Dont question it.

I played bad with mine this weekend but can say with 100% certainty that it was all mental errors. As I've said before you really need to go at it to make it work well and I had one bad shot that had me giving up on my shots since. I'm gonna play again Wednesday and hopefully can shake it.

Okay so I got some real session time in with the 64 and she's earned a place in the bag no questions asked. Looking down now I've come to love the shape. After warming up I pulled the 64 out and took full swings at the ball and struck them squarely and got great height but with a strong trajectory. I'm guessing it's the higher center of gravity. It appeared as though a well struck full swing was about 80-85 yards similar to the Jaws. I really liked the ball flight and I didn't get the fades to the right that sometimes come with Jaws 64. I took a few half swings and got nice 40 yard shots that looked like they'd really check if on a real green.

Chipping has always been a weakness so I was eager to hit the chipping green where the club really shined. It instilled a very real sense of confidence and every chip left me with a gimme putt. Low runners, higher softer shots, and some nice spinners that checked then released towards the hole. I tried to hit a few chips out of depressions and it seemed the wedge really went down after the ball and the results were impressive. Again chips to gimme range. I even fatted a chip and it rolled to about 8 inches. I've never had such a successful practice session in regards to chipping so I'm flying pretty high on this wedge right now. I know my crap technique hasn't straightened itself out in the last week so I'm thinking this is a pretty versatile and forgiving wedge.

Sadly I haven't attempted a flop shot since returning to golf and I didn't start tonight so I can't comment on that but laying it open she sure looks like she can pull off a Derek Fisher or two.

Okay so I got some real session time in with the 64 and she's earned a place in the bag no questions asked. Looking down now I've come to love the shape. After warming up I pulled the 64 out and took full swings at the ball and struck them squarely and got great height but with a strong trajectory. I'm guessing it's the higher center of gravity. It appeared as though a well struck full swing was about 80-85 yards similar to the Jaws. I really liked the ball flight and I didn't get the fades to the right that sometimes come with Jaws 64. I took a few half swings and got nice 40 yard shots that looked like they'd really check if on a real green.

Chipping has always been a weakness so I was eager to hit the chipping green where the club really shined. It instilled a very real sense of confidence and every chip left me with a gimme putt. Low runners, higher softer shots, and some nice spinners that checked then released towards the hole. I tried to hit a few chips out of depressions and it seemed the wedge really went down after the ball and the results were impressive. Again chips to gimme range. I even fatted a chip and it rolled to about 8 inches. I've never had such a successful practice session in regards to chipping so I'm flying pretty high on this wedge right now. I know my crap technique hasn't straightened itself out in the last week so I'm thinking this is a pretty versatile and forgiving wedge.

Sadly I haven't attempted a flop shot since returning to golf and I didn't start tonight so I can't comment on that but laying it open she sure looks like she can pull off a Derek Fisher or two.
This is super comforting. I was thinking about the 64 degree for some specialty shots and out of bunkers. I really wanna try one of these things out.

Got the 56 out to the range today, too much rain to go to the course. I was quite pleased it, distance wasn't too far from the 54 Tour Grind, so it shouldn't be too much of a challenge to transition to it. I found that it really made mid length pitch shots much easier to control than the 54 from a trajectory and spin control perspective. Hoping to get out on the course Thursday to really test it out around the greens and from the sand.

Looks too nice to hit!
fb673d0bdb5062a5e4536765c98d0837.jpg

Soon.... Soon....

First time out with the 56* was not good,
I have been practicing around the yard.
going to give it a 2nd try on the course.

Got the 56 out to the range today, too much rain to go to the course. I was quite pleased it, distance wasn't too far from the 54 Tour Grind, so it shouldn't be too much of a challenge to transition to it. I found that it really made mid length pitch shots much easier to control than the 54 from a trajectory and spin control perspective. Hoping to get out on the course Thursday to really test it out around the greens and from the sand.
Where we going? I may just be able to sneak out if all goes well.

Where we going? I may just be able to sneak out if all goes well.

I'm getting my car serviced at 8:45, will let you know.

Back