Golf Stats by handicap: Where do you fall?

My average score in my last 20 rounds has been 90.7, so I'll use the 91 column as my baseline. I hit nearly 5 GIR a round on average compared to the 2 on the chart, and 45% of fairways compared to the 31% on the chart, so ballstriking would appear to be a strength - most folks who play with me can attest to that. Based on these two numbers alone, I should be in the average score of 85 column. And I average 0.35 birdies a round, which also gets me close to the 85 column. However, I do 35.1 putts per round and about 4 pars, which is right on average for a 91 averager - so that's part of what's holding me back. Based on what I see in my game, those two stats tie into scrambling for par, which I don't do well - I take too many bogies and doubles when I really ought to be pulling pars and bogies. I need to make around 2.5 more pars, 0.4 more birds, and 1.5 less putts to get my game to an average of 85 all around.

I like this chart a lot - it's a great way to target your practice going forward!

No column for blow up holes? My stats are slightly better than shown for my handicap but I seem to have a hard time avoiding at least 1 big number per round, usually per 9.

This is me. Blowup holes throw me off. My average score is about 2 strokes higher than where my GIR/FWY/Putts and other stats would indicate. Thrown off by the 2 or 3 blow up holes I tend to have per round.

The strong relationships (GIR, birdies, pars) definitely spell my game out.

Pretty much in line except for my GIR and Birdies.

I like this chart because it also shows the statistical relationship between each category and the strength of the relationship to scoring.

It tells me that I need to putt better as I'm already hitting 13+ GIR. It's not news, putting has been my weakness for decades.

Below is a table which summarizes some of the statistics that Riccio investigated. Where do you fit in with your game?
AVERAGE SCORE
Relationship​
CATEGORY
71​
75​
79​
81​
85​
89​
91​
95​
99​
GIR
12​
10​
8​
7​
5​
3​
2​
0​
0​
Strong​
% Fairways
81​
71​
61​
56​
46​
36​
31​
21​
11​
Weak​
Iron Accuracy
80​
68​
53​
47​
33​
20​
13​
0​
0​
Good​
Putts per Round
29.0​
30.3​
31.7​
32.3​
33.7​
35.0​
35.7​
37.0​
38.3​
Weak​
Pitch/Chip/Sand
5.1​
7.4​
9.8​
10.9​
13.3​
15.6​
16.8​
19.2​
21.5​
Strong​
Birdies
3.2​
2.4​
1.8​
1.5​
0.8​
0.1​
0​
0​
0​
Strong​
Pars
11.8​
10.3​
8.8​
8.1​
6.6​
5.1​
4.3​
2.8​
1.3​
Strong​
The last column indicates the strength of the statistical relationship between score and the statistic. A "Strong" relationship is one that predicts quite well one statisitic given the other (i.e. the SCORE given the GIR). A "Weak" relationship does not predict as well.

I guess I'm not a typical golfer. My average score is 102 with a current handicap of 21.
I hit about 22% of fairways, about 3 GIR per round and average of 34 putts per round!

No wonder my game can range from a high 80 to low 100s!

LOL

That chart is right on for me if I take my expected score based on GIR and add the difference in putts. No surprises for me just confirms my weakness. The last year I tracked stats(2 years ago) my GIR are in the 71 range(12.6). Putts put me in the 85 range (33.1 putts). Fairways are in the 79 range (60.2%). Birdies were 2.9 so in the 71-75 range. My main course has 3 reachable par 5s so I tend to always have 1-2 two putt birdies. My average score that year was 75.8(fairly easy home course)which is almost the exact difference in putts 33.1-29=4.1 + 71= 75.1. Need to work on my putting and hitting closer approach shots.

How do we measure iron accuracy? Is this the same as GIR%?

I'm pretty sure iron accuracy is percentage of greens hit from the fairway and par 3's where an iron is used.

I'm in the 90-95 range and find the chart to be accurate.

Right now I'm shooting in the high 80s. I am about 1/3 GIR and 50% fairways. GIR directly correlates to pars and occasional birdies for me; that's a strong correlation to scoring. My swing consistency is still coming together with some adjustments after getting back into golf, and I am not yet dialed with distances and "modern" irons. That said, my ability to score is mostly limited by my pitching, chipping and putting. Getting up and down from anywhere right now for me is somewhere between theoretical and dumb luck.

I'm not sure if I'm reading this right, but a good score for me has been a 95 (19.9 handicap), but all those metrics under the 95 I'm almost always higher on. My averages over the last year are 3-4 GIR, 40%+ fairways, 36 putts per round, 4 pars per round. Not sure what iron accuracy or the pitch/chip/sand metrics mean...so maybe that's where i'm falling short. But how would i interpret this statistically? Does it simply boil back to my blow up holes that I frequently have?

Yeah I'm kind of the same way although I struggle a bit more hitting fairways.

Last round I played I shot a 97 but for 3 holes I was +11 and the other 15 I was +14 so that doesn't really show up in the table

Yeah I'm kind of the same way although I struggle a bit more hitting fairways.

Last round I played I shot a 97 but for 3 holes I was +11 and the other 15 I was +14 so that doesn't really show up in the table
I'm the exact same way...I shoot mid-80s when I don't have a blowup hole but around 100 with my typical 2-3 blowup holes

That chart fits me pretty well. I'm in that 75-79 range but I tend to putt a little better than the chart shows.

Back