The Official Tiger Woods Thread

I wonder if he can't hit that shot right now, because it seems like an obvious way to go about it.

I dont think he can with the carry distance he needs, and if he is missing with that one, you are talking about then playing layup on par 4 golf.

Tiger's story is at a point where his play is simply hard to watch, and my only comment is that I hope he finds his game again.

On to Chambers Bay. I was so excited about the hype for this course, but watching the play there for the afternoon players I am underwhelmed so far by the play of the course itself. Greens look awful, and the layout of some holes seems a little gimmicky. The views are amazing, and I would enjoy playing there simply to immerse myself in the landscape. My perspective may also be biased by how Fox Sports is presenting the course. They are showing so much of the landscape that I feel the intimacy of golf is a little lost. The shaded relief green overlays are cool but contribute to that player-perspective disconnect. At least that's my impression so for.

On to the competitive players. Right now my money is on Spieth. He has such a complete game and his attitude is impressive. He clearly has the competitive fire and yet seems to play with humility.

I dont think he can with the carry distance he needs, and if he is missing with that one, you are talking about then playing layup on par 4 golf.

agreed. Miss with that and you are in trouble. Although with him hitting 50% of the greens, maybe laying up won't be much different haha

Just a hunch, but I think Tiger plays his scheduled events up to St. Andrews and walks away from the game... unless contractually he cannot do so.

Just a hunch, but I think Tiger plays his scheduled events up to St. Andrews and walks away from the game... unless contractually he cannot do so.

Im not sure he does that. I still believe in his mind, he thinks he is close.

no way TW hangs it up anytime soon, still "young" in the grand scheme of things.

I would agree to a degree but I think his swing has more to do with it. In addition the fact that others have caught up to his distance doesn't help with his accuracy being so off.
But if you look at others of a similar generation to him your point does have weight. Phil effectively launching the mini driver segment and all other successful older pros having beautiful smooth swings. I feel his injuries are playing on his mind and forcing him into a swing he's not comfortable with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not trying to put myself in their category of play, but in 1996 I was playing to a 5 handicap. I used a 9° Callaway Big Bertha Warbird with a 43" 6.0 rifle steel shaft. I hit that club so consistent about 285 yards, and my misses weren't crazy away... I could even hit that club off the deck. I am 40 so same age group as those guys. I finally retired the warbird and got my 1st 460 about 9 years ago. I have never felt comfortable with them, granted I am not the player I was when I was 21 due to not being able to play as much. I recently got a mini driver and feel so much more comfortable with it at address, and that has nothing to do with performance or distance, simply the smaller head makes me feel more confident in my swing.

Not trying to put myself in their category of play, but in 1996 I was playing to a 5 handicap. I used a 9° Callaway Big Bertha Warbird with a 43" 6.0 rifle steel shaft. I hit that club so consistent about 285 yards, and my misses weren't crazy away... I could even hit that club off the deck. I am 40 so same age group as those guys. I finally retired the warbird and got my 1st 460 about 9 years ago. I have never felt comfortable with them, granted I am not the player I was when I was 21 due to not being able to play as much. I recently got a mini driver and feel so much more comfortable with it at address, and that has nothing to do with performance or distance, simply the smaller head makes me feel more confident in my swing.

I'll certainly agree with hitting driver off the deck. I used to smash my hawk eye every time but my R1 is just not designed to play off the deck. The sole with the screw sticking out makes it very tough.
It's certainly easier to hit my mini driver out the middle than my driver.

I would agree to a degree but I think his swing has more to do with it. In addition the fact that others have caught up to his distance doesn't help with his accuracy being so off.
But if you look at others of a similar generation to him your point does have weight. Phil effectively launching the mini driver segment and all other successful older pros having beautiful smooth swings. I feel his injuries are playing on his mind and forcing him into a swing he's not comfortable with.

This is an interesting view on his issue. Never thought of that and you could be onto something. What ever it is that is causing him to play this bad, we can all agree, it's needs fixing

Im not sure he does that. I still believe in his mind, he thinks he is close.
Most of his comments make it sound like he think he is, I wonder if he's that ignorant or just that confidence that he used to have but not the skill anymore.

How come those amazing, groundbreaking coaches like Foley and Como can't figure something out to make arguably the best ball striker the game has ever seen find fairways from the tee? Is it that hard, or are they over-complicating things?

He needs to start hitting fairways. How are you going to build confidence if you are in trouble on every single hole? I don't think his irons and short game are in that bad of a shape to be honest. But if you hit 5 fairways on courses like Muirfield, or especially Chambers Bay, you're bound to shoot scores like that.
If the student doesn't want to listen then I don't care if you are freak'n Moses, the fixes are not going to work. TW has always had one glaring flaw and that is getting stuck. He had it as a junior, with butch, Haney and foley. And he still has it with Chris.

He also wants to swing the way he wants with in their methods bit knows nothung about the swing. Donr confuse that with knowing how to play the game or feel. He knows both and this is the only reason he still hits some great shots.

The teachers know their stuff but are afraid to say boo for fear of the wrath. TW doesn't know how to trust which is odd considering he is the one that has violated trust. He trusted butch and Haney because a bad round was a 73 and that happened so infrequently that he could do nothing but trust. I'm not sure what happened with Foley. He won 5 times with that swing but then signed off. I see chris standing in the shadows on the range and needs to be hands on. But TW rules his world and the rest just make sure he is happy.

Reps
Trust
Reps

The swing is there, learning to play golf with it required trust. Only TW can control that. So far everyine that has weighed in on yesterday's swing has been spot on from a professional stand point.

I bet Moses would have been a good at dealing with water hazards.
Although he would not be a fan of brown greens.

I bet Moses would have been a good at dealing with water hazards.
Although he would not be a fan of brown greens.

nah that dude could make it rain

Holy crap, Pacman Jones was/is Moses.

A slightly lesser Moses. Moses wouldn't carry a garbage sack.

Yesterday watching Tiger play was painful but it also reminded me that "this game is hard" even for Tiger. I think in his mind he is close and on the range he is. Wednesday night he was stripping it shot after shot but he can't seem to trust it on the course. Sounds like the average Joe golfer that we can all relate to. He needs to pick a swing/method and trust it. I also think it is in his head that he has to hit the ball far but he has plenty of distance with his smooth swing and probably hits it further but he just can't slow it down. The 3 wood on 12 yesterday is a good example. His swing was so hard and fast there is no way he was able to sync his lower body and upper body anywhere close to where it needs to be. On the range he is ok but on the course he swings harder and faster on most shots. I'm afraid that until he sync's his swing up he will not win again and it will be hard for him to even make cuts. We all no confidence plays such a huge part in golf and right now he is running on empty there.

I'm not a Tiger fan but the game needs him to start competing again and it would be nice for him to start playing well. I am just not sure if he still has the desire to get back to the top.

Yesterday watching Tiger play was painful but it also reminded me that "this game is hard" even for Tiger. I think in his mind he is close and on the range he is. Wednesday night he was stripping it shot after shot but he can't seem to trust it on the course. Sounds like the average Joe golfer that we can all relate to. He needs to pick a swing/method and trust it. I also think it is in his head that he has to hit the ball far but he has plenty of distance with his smooth swing and probably hits it further but he just can't slow it down. The 3 wood on 12 yesterday is a good example. His swing was so hard and fast there is no way he was able to sync his lower body and upper body anywhere close to where it needs to be. On the range he is ok but on the course he swings harder and faster on most shots. I'm afraid that until he sync's his swing up he will not win again and it will be hard for him to even make cuts. We all no confidence plays such a huge part in golf and right now he is running on empty there.

I'm not a Tiger fan but the game needs him to start competing again and it would be nice for him to start playing well. I am just not sure if he still has the desire to get back to the top.
I don't agree the needs him. The game is pretty damn cool with him in the mix. But he hasn't been relavant for 4 of the past 5 years and we have been gifted some strong golfers.

--------------

2000-2008 is in the past..ut every coming back so we need to embrace the NOW. If he wants to fit it, he will figure a way to do so. Growth in golf is what it is, TW will never factor like.he once did. Will he win, yes but the world changer is dead and gone.

Golf is bigger than Tiger. Every generation has had its star, and the game goes on as each of them have dropped off. Tiger is done. He might win again, but it won't be a major. Game over.

No. But the Willy Mays talk was interesting. Mantle was the same way, said he should have retired 4 years earlier. However those sports are different. Vijay Singh had a great career AFTER turning 40. So there is still time. He's in a bad spot, but he shouldn't retire.

Tiger has had more rounds in the 80's than in the 60's this year? Can that be right? Maybe the announcer ment 70's in instead of 80's......right?

Edit: Just looked it up 2 round in 80's and 2 rounds in 60's this year. Wow.

I started thinking he should retire while watching him yesterday. Pro golfers don't shoot in the 80s and have such amazing problems off the tee (or short game, previously). It's been going on for so long ... and this after he already took his long hiatus to ensure his game was ready to compete in tournaments. I think he's done.

Back