My worst round today after a great round yesterday!

Plinyyounger

Magistrate Ancient Rome
Reaction score
Handicap
fake peopl
I love golf! I played yesterday and shot a respectable 79 on my club course. It's a good track, a par 72 with lightning fast greens, it was a fun day.

today I quit after nine holes. Actually, didn't even finish nine, picked up after my approach shot was 20 yards short and then drove directly to the range. Man it was a tough first nine, couldn't hit a drive, approach or putts, lol. It was a disaster! I even stopped keeping my score after the first three holes in hopes of making corrections and trying to hit a good shot here and there.

i just felt like I couldn't concentrate. Probably because I hadn't eaten all day (lesson learned). As a result I felt like I was loosing concentration and just couldn't put It together. I may have lost 4 balls too, lol. Damn!

so I went to the range, bought a beer and tried to relax and get back in the groove. I think it worked, I didn't get over exited about the bad round and I think I will be fine. I'm glad I kept swing notes on the phone, I reviewed them and plan on going back out tomorrow. I'm looking forward to it!

How do you derail a bad round and get back in the groove?

like I said, I love this game!

hit em straight!

ken

Last edited:
I can't play golf tired, hungry or thirsty. Eat a sandwich and finish your round. You will be fine.

I can't play golf tired, hungry or thirsty. Eat a sandwich and finish your round. You will be fine.
I definitely considered doing just that. But I thought I may tweek my swing and screw something up if I continued. I cut my losses and they were expensive losses with 4 new prov1's lost (prob more, lol).

I think you did the right thing. Beer and the range. Come back another day and light it up. 79 is a great score so you know you have it in you.

I stop pushing so hard and just let go. I'm the king of putting up a big number on the front and them going low on the back when I feel like I'm out of it. I don't stress too bad about it. Bad rounds happen to EVERYONE. That's Golf, I'm slowly learning.

I just say to myself 'I could be working instead of being here', then smile to myself and enjoy the rest of the round.

I hug my kids when I get it home. Golf is a recreational activity, no reason to not let the bad roll off your back.

The good round not only took a lot of concentration, it also takes a toll on your body. Couple that with hunger, which never helps, it will sap your concentration and getting frustrated is only going to make it worse. Always rest up and stretch, and never forget to bring some food for each 9 and hydrate. We focus so much on playing the game and working on the swing, it's the simpler things that messes it up. Good luck and keep at it.

i'm not 100% sure, but i think it's pronounced "gawlf?" :D

that's what makes this game so maddeningly delightful. i think at least one thp'er has this perfect quote from bobby jones in their signature: "
Golf is assuredly a mystifying game. It would seem that if a person has hit a golf ball correctly a thousand times, he should be able to duplicate the performance at will. But such is certainly not the case."

I played golf with my boys, husband and brother yesterday. I've been excited about this round for a while as it is a rare treat. We played a beautiful course as a fivesome and had no one in front or behind us so pace was great. I completely lost my swing with everything but my driver. It was awful! I play tournaments a good bit and have steady nerves but I guess just the excitement threw me. I stopped playing by the 13th hole and just enjoyed the time with family. I hope the swing is back soon!

Last edited:
I hug my kids when I get it home. Golf is a recreational activity, no reason to not let the bad roll off your back.
I love your perspective on this. I wish I could forget bad rounds as easily, but this will be something I work on to keep golf in perspective.

I've had a few bad rounds lately and I think it's a bit mental and a bit physical. Playing well leads me to up my expectations and then at the first sign of adversity I just start the negativity cycle that doesn't help. Also, if I'm tired or hungry then things also don't go well. I think a day or two off may help.

I love your perspective on this. I wish I could forget bad rounds as easily, but this will be something I work on to keep golf in perspective.

I've had a few bad rounds lately and I think it's a bit mental and a bit physical. Playing well leads me to up my expectations and then at the first sign of adversity I just start the negativity cycle that doesn't help. Also, if I'm tired or hungry then things also don't go well. I think a day or two off may help.
Here's an idea that I was taught that helped develop my ability to let go. If you have a bad round, play your next round from the forward tips. Develop confidence that the bad round was an aberration and not the norm.

A few other tips that have helped me.
1) draw a smiley face on your glove. Your kid's initials. Your anniversary. Any small reminder to ground yourself
2) if the wheels start to wobble, tell a dirty joke, a funny story, anything to break the tension.
3) I always remember words from my father-in-law, "you're not good enough to get mad."

Golf is hard

If you're score is getting high, you're keeping your cost of stroke ratio low. It's just fiscally smart.

Here's an idea that I was taught that helped develop my ability to let go. If you have a bad round, play your next round from the forward tips. Develop confidence that the bad round was an aberration and not the norm.

A few other tips that have helped me.
1) draw a smiley face on your glove. Your kid's initials. Your anniversary. Any small reminder to ground yourself
2) if the wheels start to wobble, tell a dirty joke, a funny story, anything to break the tension.
3) I always remember words from my father-in-law, "you're not good enough to get mad."

Golf is hard

If you're score is getting high, you're keeping your cost of stroke ratio low. It's just fiscally smart.
You just reminded me of something that happened last night and made my day. After a bad round yesterday, my son tells me "Dad, I still love you even though you didn't golf good today". Talk about perspective.

I too had a horrid 9 hole round men's nite last night, After the triple & double to start it became a practice round, but it had a golden lining. I convinced a friend to come out (about a 30+ cap) he shot a 50 and won the low net for his flight and $270 on a ticket raffle. He'll be coming out regular now hahaha.

Had two decent rounds this year through the 15th holes when I just got tired. I was sick over the weekend. I have Meniere's Disease, and it comes and goes. Nasty thing is that it leaves one fatigued. And the world kind of swims. Tuesday it hit very mildly on the first green leading to four putts after a GIR. I pushed on. Quad on the second. I wanted to take an unplayable in the bunker, but I couldn't because I couldn't drop the ball no nearer the hole. It was embedded in the bunker near the far lip. I couldn't get a swing at it without hitting the lip or sand, so a scooped it out with a two stroke penalty. Next time I'm hitting my hybrid and blowing it over the green. Par on the third. DB after a GIR on the fourth. I was playing in my league. It's this weather right now. I hate spring. Nothing seemed to be going right. It started to settle down and I started playing decently and even had a birdie, then followed with a Kevin Na hole (that one in the woods). I picked up on 16.

They'd just aerated last week, too which wasn't helping. The fairways are still quite soft, and they're mowing them so tight you can't hit a hybrid off them unless you pick it clean. This also means your irons are one or two clubs short.... unless they're not. You're lifting and cleaning your ball after every shot. And the bunkers need to have sand added to them. I guess the courses won't really be in good shape for another 6 weeks.

Fewer league rounds right now and more practice rounds I think are the solution.

You just reminded me of something that happened last night and made my day. After a bad round yesterday, my son tells me "Dad, I still love you even though you didn't golf good today". Talk about perspective.
Thats exactly what I'm talking about. There's no triple digit round that's worse than that.

similar story. Had my low round 9 (by 1, but still low) of the year Tuesday and was on pace on the back to better it...until we ran into a hole with 3 groups on it. 15 minutes after my prior putt I took my next swing. Moments later I was laying 5 off the tee and it would have been 7 had not I gotten a fortuitous bounce off some shrubbery. That hole and the last 2 after it were shaky but I still had my overall low round of the year by 2 shots. Went out yesterday and was behind the high school team. It was taking 15 minutes a hole, brutally slow...and I looked like I had never swung a club. Snap hook off the tee. Pitching wedge that probably killed a mole it was so low. Scuff a chip. Tee shot with a 190 yard club makes it almost 40 yards. Etc.

A club that all year has consistently been my go-to comfort club was hitting soft 2-hoppers to short...and then on 9 I skipped my preshot routine, whacked it straight and true, went fir-gir-par (missed the bird by about 6") and played the back only one shot off my best of the year.

Just weird to see the game come so easy then just turn off in a heartbeat. And for the record, I blame my woes on me, not the slow players. What others do is not real relevant to my mind set...or shouldn't be. I just happen to be a sub-standard golfer :)

Awesome! One of the things I love more than golf, my son!

I stop keeping score and I use this type of round to challenge my mental focus to put a few good holes together. Every bad shot is a learning experience for me, because after all, how fun would the game be if it didn't humble you sometimes and make you work harder than you expected. I've played football, basketball, and baseball and I've never had the opportunity to quit when I was having bad games. I had to find it in me to dig out the best I could. I bring the same attitude to golf. My game isn't all that great, but my effort is always 100%. And I must admit, putting things into perspective, makes it easy to deal with.

I had just the opposite happen. Day before yesterday, I had to quit a few blow up holes after hitting 4 over par on each, and I was just frustrated and couldn't get into a groove. I had a buddy video my swing with the MyProToGo app, and I noticed a few things I was doing. So we played again yesterday at the usual track, and with the swing changes, it was night and day. Played one of the better rounds I've ever played. Still had a couple ugly holes, but was much more consistent with my swing with all clubs, which led to consistent ball flight and being able to put together much better holes. It was really just about figuring out what I was doing wrong and making the necessary changes.

How do you derail a bad round and get back in the groove?

I'm not very good at this. If I get a bad round going, I generally get pretty quiet and will occasionally make sarcastic comments about my horrible shots as the round goes. Eventually I get to a point where I just stop caring about the round, and 9/10 times this happens, I actually start hitting some solid shots. Unfortunately I haven't been able to figure out how to make this happen faster, and it generally takes me 4-5 holes to get to the point where I just don't care anymore about the round. It doesn't happen very often, maybe once every 20 rounds I'll have a round like this, but when it does it's very humbling.

Golf is day to day for most everyone including the professionals. I never get too high on the good days, or too low on the bad days. Live life like a dog. Every day is a new day.

Golf is day to day for most everyone including the professionals. I never get too high on the good days, or too low on the bad days. Live life like a dog. Every day is a new day.

It's golf. My last two rounds were 82, 72. Just when you think you've figured something out, the golf gods remind you otherwise!!

Play again...?

I did what you did in reverse: Worst round (94) of the season yesterday, tied my best round (82) today.

...How do you derail a bad round and get back in the groove?

Last edited:
Play again...?

I did what you did in reverse: Worst round (94) of the season yesterday, tied my best round (82) today.

Awesome! I wanted to go out today, but the club was hosting two tourneys, so I'm drinking beer waiting for the Giants game to start. Lol

Back