The Official 2014 NFL Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots players should probably refrain from commenting

There's no rule in baseball about pine tar or pitchers who dr baseballs? Same thing to me

There are rules in every game whether we choose to obey them or not is up to us. By your standards we could find a way to justify any rule break in any sport because "everyone does it." There are written rules and there are unwritten rules in a lot of aspects in life, and that is where INTEGRITY comes in to play. There aren't necessarily things that are against the law, but they are wrong to do, so we don't do them.

If we just throw integrity out the window then there is no point in watching sports because everyone just cheats. I'd be really disappointed if that were the case. We might as well let anyone who wants to take steroids in any sport take them, I mean, a lot of people do it so they might as well just take that rule right out of the rule books. Who cares about the guys that don't take them and don't have that athletic advantage?

There may be some other teams that want to jeopardize the integrity of the sport, and shame on them, they should be punished if they are caught as well. But there are a lot of classy organizations/people out there in every sport who are honest about what they do (golfers calling their own penalities Vs those that don't because "a lot of other players ignore it").

Does anyone really believe they will suspend Belicheck or Brady or both before the Superbowl? I could see Belicheck but it would be very surprising...Brady no way
Not even a 1% chance in my opinion

Just heard a stat that the Patriots RBs have not lost a fumble this year at all. You draw your own conclusion.

Just heard a stat that the Patriots RBs have not lost a fumble this year at all. You draw your own conclusion.
I heard that argument too, they were confident they could pound the ball with less chance of a fumble

tough to fumble it when Brady is too busy throwing it :laughing:

Belichek is a "genius", and keeps getting caught. Makes you wonder what other things he is getting away with.

My only point was that the pats were caught doing something I'd guess more than half of teams do, similar most likely to how many guys either pitching or hitting try to affect a baseball. The outrage comes from them being the pats, not the act in my opinion. That was my only point

I don't think that makes any sense. First of all, I don't think near as many people doctor the baseball as you think, and definitely not a lot of them cork bats. A broken bat isn't at all an uncommon thing during an MLB game, I would wager almost every game has a broken bat and if everyone corked their bat we would be hearing about it.

My only point was that the pats were caught doing something I'd guess more than half of teams do, similar most likely to how many guys either pitching or hitting try to affect a baseball. The outrage comes from them being the pats, not the act in my opinion. That was my only point

That just doesnt make sense or add up to me.

I think you are drawing your own conclusion by saying "everyone is doing it"... but we only care because it is the Patriots. I think if you here of any team that is knowingly doctoring footballs, its a big deal.

So if some are comparing it to baseball, Brady and/or Belichek should have been ejected as soon as it was noticed, and then suspended prolly for the Super Bowl if they still won. Wonder if that would have changed anything in the outcome of the game.

So if some are comparing it to baseball, Brady and/or Belichek should have been ejected as soon as it was noticed, and then suspended prolly for the Super Bowl if they still won. Wonder if that would have changed anything in the outcome of the game.

well not really you could prove Pineda had the tar it was right there on his neck, we still don't know exactly who deflated the balls

No, because in baseball the player is immediately and personally accountable - the gear is their own. A player hits with his own bat. The pitcher is usually throwing a ball that is newly put in play (foul balls, etc.). In football we've got a Chain of Custody type situation that needs to be addressed - were the balls inspected ? (yes), were they in compliance at the time of inspection ? (yes), who possessed them after the inspection ? (don't know), etc.

To the overarching argument...I think people would care no matter who the team is. I think people care more because it is a team that has already been found guilty of cheating and punished. I don't think people care more because it is the Patriots, other than the Patriots happen to be the team that cheated before.

So then they're not comparable. I was just saying for the ones who said they were. Still time to figure out a suspension. And if that's the answer, it should be for their next game.

That just doesnt make sense or add up to me.

I think you are drawing your own conclusion by saying "everyone is doing it"... but we only care because it is the Patriots. I think if you here of any team that is knowingly doctoring footballs, its a big deal.
I said I would guess half, not everyone does it. Only a guess of course but I'd bet big money more teams than you think are doing something outside the rules. Still not saying it makes it ok, just trying to be realistic

I said I would guess half, not everyone does it. Only a guess of course but I'd bet big money more teams than you think are doing something outside the rules. Still not saying it makes it ok, just trying to be realistic

But you cannot just assume things. Sure, 31 other teams MIGHT do it, but we cannot go on might's.

The Patriots have been caught cheating before, so, it just makes it even worse catching them cheating again.

And the scary part is that the Colts brought this to the NFL's attention during their first meeting and nothing was made of it. Now the Ravens are also stating the balls were altered. Cannot imagine it is just random that the Patriots footballs magically lost air.

But you can assume they did on purpose.

Surely seems like all signs are pointing to that. I cannot imagine why ANYONE would expect the Patriots cheated... weird.

But you cannot just assume things. Sure, 31 other teams MIGHT do it, but we cannot go on might's.

The Patriots have been caught cheating before, so, it just makes it even worse catching them cheating again.

And the scary part is that the Colts brought this to the NFL's attention during their first meeting and nothing was made of it. Now the Ravens are also stating the balls were altered. Cannot imagine it is just random that the Patriots footballs magically lost air.
It is scary, but the leagues integrity had always been questioned. I think if you've been a sports fan for any length of time and seen what we have in major pro and college sports, it's reasonable to assume a huge majority of organizations are doing something questionable at best, just different levels of severity. I would say its far worse that the league could've known and covered up concussion or head injury test results that could have led to major brain injury, suicides, etc than anything currently going down. It's all big business, whatever helps the bottom line is what's going to likely happen

But you can assume they did on purpose.
When all the Colts balls checked out fine, yes. And when you're a proven cheater you lose all benefit of the doubt.

I think what Danny is saying is that there's a pretty good indication there was some collusion.

Surely seems like all signs are pointing to that. I cannot imagine why ANYONE would expect the Patriots cheated... weird.

So you CAN just assume things.

So you CAN just assume things.

24 balls were checked before kickoff. 12 balls were good to go. 12 balls were not good to go. I don't think that is an assumption.

24 balls were checked before kickoff. 12 balls were good to go. 12 balls were not good to go. I don't think that is an assumption.

So clearly the Pats organization deflated them.

Ok, that's it everyone, case closed. We can all go home now. Nothing to see here. All the facts have been disclosed and there is nothing left to conjecture. Because you can just assume things.

But you cannot just assume things.

But, but, you just said we could...

I'm so confused.

So clearly the Pats organization deflated them.

Ok, that's it everyone, case closed. We can all go home now. Nothing to see here. All the facts have been disclosed and there is nothing left to conjecture. Because you can just assume things.

But, but, you just said we could...

I'm so confused.

Please point out where I said that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back