TaylorMade R15 TP Driver - THP Review

Just purchased my R15 today from TMag. Went with the Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec X-Stiff with it cut down a half inch. White head 10.5*.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just purchased my R15 today from TMag. Went with the Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec X-Stiff with it cut down a half inch. White head 10.5*.

Sounds like a heck of a setup buddy! Can't wait to hear how it performs for you.

Sounds like a heck of a setup buddy! Can't wait to hear how it performs for you.

Will do! Hoping to get out this weekend if the weather gets better over here.

Surprising.. I ahve several friends I play with, including myself, that think the R11 is the best driver TMG has ever put out. It feels like butter to me when I hit it solid. The R15 is without a doubt the closest to the R11 to all of us. Definitely a great driver and should perform well for anyone with the right shaft, loft, weight combinations.

No doubt, the R11 is a great driver but not for me. Just as the R15 is not a great driver for some people today. One other aspect with the R15, I think its more player friendly than the R11 just by getting the sound, the spin control and the compression channels and weighted trajectory control - baked in one pie for everyone to consume.

4 years of development, TM learnt and built a really nice driver...unless there's a Ping version of me luving the G30 LS tec out there somewhere...<insert X-Files music> :alien2:

R15 430cc isn't offered in lefty for now.....tried the 460cc in regular and tp versions. The tp really fit me (shaft has my specs) head TO ME is an improved jetspeed.....sound, look and feel...face is shallower than sldr,hence my comparison.

I'll hit it outside if weather permits tomorrow!

R15 430cc isn't offered in lefty for now.....tried the 460cc in regular and tp versions. The tp really fit me (shaft has my specs) head TO ME is an improved jetspeed.....sound, look and feel...face is shallower than sldr,hence my comparison.

I'll hit it outside if weather permits tomorrow!

Well got a chance to swing this outside......the kuro kage tini brought flight and spin down too much for my liking.....the surprise though was a red tie 6q3......pretty much mid everything and just a great feeling shaft! Taylormade rep told me theye offer 25 shafts with no upcharge. ......but matrix red tie 6q3 for this guy!

Played my first round with the R15 TP set up today. Amazed. Blew my R1 away. Hit tons of fairways. It seemed to brother really well with my new Srixon XV balls as well to form a great combo. This is by far Taylormade's best driver. I hit more fairways than not today and the club is very forgiving. I hit a few on the toe and it still went dead straight with little distance loss.

Excited to see what a round in warmer and better conditions will do. Today was cold, windy and wet. Tee'd off at 30 degrees and it was low 40s when we got done today and hit a few blistering drives.

Played my first round with the R15 TP set up today. Amazed. Blew my R1 away. Hit tons of fairways. It seemed to brother really well with my new Srixon XV balls as well to form a great combo. This is by far Taylormade's best driver. I hit more fairways than not today and the club is very forgiving. I hit a few on the toe and it still went dead straight with little distance loss.

Excited to see what a round in warmer and better conditions will do. Today was cold, windy and wet. Tee'd off at 30 degrees and it was low 40s when we got done today and hit a few blistering drives.

Were you set in standard loft? I have a 460 9.5 r15 TP w/ 661x evo on the way. Unfortunately, I probably won't ever get to hit it, because we just 6 inches of snow and it looks like it will last for awhile.

This driver doesn't have much buzz, but everyone I've talked to has liked it and said it is just as low spin as the SLDR, but a lot more forgiving. I gamed a SLDR last year, and it was the longest driver I've ever hit, but just wasn't forgiving enough for me.

Were you set in standard loft? I have a 460 9.5 r15 TP w/ 661x evo on the way. Unfortunately, I probably won't ever get to hit it, because we just 6 inches of snow and it looks like it will last for awhile.

This driver doesn't have much buzz, but everyone I've talked to has liked it and said it is just as low spin as the SLDR, but a lot more forgiving. I gamed a SLDR last year, and it was the longest driver I've ever hit, but just wasn't forgiving enough for me.

I've got it set at 10.5 for loft. The weights on the back are set like this:
6a6334d4328fe7e5be46337184d1bd31.jpg

Weights not all the way out but set to a more forgiving set up overall.

I found it very forgiving but to your point, I never gamed the SLDR so I have no comparison for you there.

I just bought the R15 (White, 10.5*) with a Kiyoshi Oban White 05 65 gram X-Flex shaft. Absolutely love this club but I have a question for you guys...Do you know if it is possible to get another 12.5 gram weight to put in the head? I was fitted for this club with 3 weight toward the toe and it was an outstanding setup for me. Do I have to call TM or can I get it online? Thanks.

I feel like many felt this way. If they improved on the forgiveness- this one could be special

I hear ya on the snow Tito. Definitely ready for the weather to turn here too. I talked with two guys who endured a cyclical love hate relationship with their SLDRs last season and the both now gush over their R15s. Night and day difference for them. Every bit as long if not a little longer for them and tons more forgiving. I've not had a chance to hit R15 myself yet but it's on the short list of drivers I'm looking to try.

Last edited:
Has anyone demoed and got fitted for the R15 and went with the 430 over the 460? i would be interested to know your thoughts on going with the 430 over the 460. I got fitted and my numbers were better with the 430 head. I kept leaving the 460 to the right which is not my shot pattern. Put the 430 on the same shaft and started to hit the middle and left of the fairway as I did with my SLDR. I dont know why that is....

Has anyone demoed and got fitted for the R15 and went with the 430 over the 460? i would be interested to know your thoughts on going with the 430 over the 460. I got fitted and my numbers were better with the 430 head. I kept leaving the 460 to the right which is not my shot pattern. Put the 430 on the same shaft and started to hit the middle and left of the fairway as I did with my SLDR. I dont know why that is....
I've heard the claim that people find it easier to turn the 430 through the zone.. I was fit for the SLDR and that statement was made for me.

For me it wasn't an issue. I tend to hit the center of the face and am all for as little spin as possible so the smaller face was fine.

The 460 in the R15 seems surprisingly balanced. I'm having no issues driving the head through the zone with the proper turn and am enjoying the extra forgiveness as compared to SLDR 430.

I've heard the claim that people find it easier to turn the 430 through the zone.. I was fit for the SLDR and that statement was made for me.

For me it wasn't an issue. I tend to hit the center of the face and am all for as little spin as possible so the smaller face was fine.

The 460 in the R15 seems surprisingly balanced. I'm having no issues driving the head through the zone with the proper turn and am enjoying the extra forgiveness as compared to SLDR 430.
Would the 430 be lower spinning than 460, theoretically?

Does this one really have "a lot more forgiveness" the design itself doesn't make me think so.

Does this one really have "a lot more forgiveness" the design itself doesn't make me think so.
I hit them head to head the other day and could not tell a difference.

Now Aeroburner vs JetSpeed is a different discussion.

Compared to SLDR, yes very much so....in fact I'd compare it the 910d2 with lower spin.....I've hit it with 3 shaft offerings and found that it pretty much played the same with each just felt different. Red tie was just so smooth and balanced for my paltry swing.

I hear ya on the snow Tito. Definitely ready for the weather to turn here too. I talked with two guys who endured a cyclical love hate relationship with their SLDRs last season and the both now gush over their R15s. Night and day difference for them. Every bit as long if not a little longer for them and tons more forgiving. I've not had a chance to hit R15 myself yet but it's on the short list of drivers I'm looking to try.

Haha... That sounds like me. I've owned an SLDR 3 different times over the last 1.5 years. We'll see how the r15 460 goes for me. Only other driver I really want to try this year is the g30 LStec. I owned the G25 a couple seasons go and really liked it, but it spun too much. I usually get along well with Ping Drivers, but they sound dreadful-- like your shooting steel targets at pistol match without ear protection. I swear my G25 ruptured one of my ear drums.

Would the 430 be lower spinning than 460, theoretically?
I believe that to be correct. How much I am not sure, however I believe the R15 overall is a couple hundred RPMs of spin lower than SLDR.

I suppose you'll need to hit it for yourself on an open range to decide that. I have hit and watched a few golfers hit the R15 and the forgiveness i would seek is absolutely there.
I hit them head to head the other day and could not tell a difference.

Now Aeroburner vs JetSpeed is a different discussion.
Head to head on a sim? *shrug* to each their own.

I find R15 to be wholly different from SLDR from aesthetics to sound to adjustability to overall results. Maybe the most minute of the changes being center of face contact.

Sorry, meant in forgiveness alone. Looks and sound were noticeably different.

Forgiveness wise I strongly feel it's very forgiving.

Someone also commented On The sound and it is different but not a turnoff.

Last edited:
Forgiveness wise I strongly feel it's very forgiving.

Someone also commented I. The sound and it is different but not a turnoff.

To me the R15 460cc is a jetspeed with adjustability. ....similar shape, face depth, sound and forgiveness with lower spin......

Back