Orlando Golf options?

phenom4hire

Reaction score
Handicap
18-19
Hey guys, it looks like me and the family will be heading down to Universal and Disney in June. Im looking to the vast knowledge available here on THP by asking the locals for some course recommendations. I plan on playing 1-10 rounds lol depending on how the week goes. Seriously though Id like to get at least 3-4 rounds in while Im there and if anyone wants to tee it up I am game. So local guys or guys who have played there before, what courses should I be looking at?

Golf now is your friend while your here. June prices are usually ripe for the picking too. Grand Cypress is incredible, Disney is always a great time Orange County national is great.

I posted a review of Ritz-Carlton earlier this week. If you can get a decent price, it's a really, really nice course. I always recommend Bella Collina, even though some THPers find it a little "tricked out". It's really hard to go wrong in Orlando, though I have some friends who say that Windermere is a goat track, and it's always cheap on Golf Now. I would place Grand Cypress slightly above Orange County National or Championsgate.

I posted a review of Ritz-Carlton earlier this week. If you can get a decent price, it's a really, really nice course. I always recommend Bella Collina, even though some THPers find it a little "tricked out". It's really hard to go wrong in Orlando, though I have some friends who say that Windermere is a goat track, and it's always cheap on Golf Now. I would place Grand Cypress slightly above Orange County National or Championsgate.
Windermere went downhill really bad for a little while there but I've played it a few times this month cause it's in good shape again AND you could still get a good deal for it on golf now.

I appreciate the heads up fellas. Will start planning around some of those courses.

I would say if your at all flexible where your gonna play I would just look for something the day before on golfnow and find a good deal. By June even the Ritz will be more affordable too and is just like Erky said flat out amazing.

I would say if your at all flexible where your gonna play I would just look for something the day before on golfnow and find a good deal. By June even the Ritz will be more affordable too and is just like Erky said flat out amazing.

Also keep an eye on Tranquilo (Four Seasons) and Waldorf. Along with Ritz, that's a pretty holy trinity of high end hotels who apparently take impeccable care of golf courses in their spare time.

it depends on how far you're willing to drive. there are some good courses around the attractions, but most of my favorite courses in the central florida area are a bit of a haul. keep in mind that in june, you are apt to experience only about 9 hours of viable sunshine: the sun will be up (enough) by about 7am, but by 4pm the afternoon thunderstorms are rolling in. that's why you'll see crazy cheap rates in the afternoon.

celebration is a decent course
grand cypress new course is always nice. they also have 3 9-hole courses, though to me they are far inferior to the new course.
shingle creek is your typical resort course, but still pretty and usually in very good shape
the ritz and the waldorf are beautiful (and pricey!)
falcons fire is a touch overpriced, but enjoyable

if you're willing to drive:
champions gate is great, both the international and the national
red tail is beautiful
harmony golf preserve is beautiful (but REALLY far!)
eagle creek thinks a little too highly about themselves, but it's a fun course
bella collina hasn't been kind to me, but it's very nice
orange county national is awesome, both crooked cat and panther lake

some courses to avoid (in my opinion):
dubsdread
mayfair
timacuan
magnolia plantation
wedgefield
stoneybrook east or west
metro west
alaqua country club

there are others. if you're thinking about playing somewhere we haven't listed yet, ask away!

I guess thunderstorms are the everyday norm this time of year there? I will probably try to get a round in the day we get there before check in at the hotel. Wife and kids will got to the mall or something. Then maybe 2 rounds on Tuesday if possible. Not sure about the rest of the week as my wifes family arrives tuesday evening and they are still deciding how to spend the rest of the week. Ill extend this topic to local attractions as well. Any places/activities that are musts they may not be as well known. I havent been to disney in 15 years so Im sure alot has changed.

I enjoyed Windermere when I was there.

The rain usually happens in late afternoon but not everyday. Lots of great golf for very little money

The rain usually happens in late afternoon but not everyday. Lots of great golf for very little money
And the rain doesn't last too long either most days.

Another thing you could look into is Disney has a "Sunrise 9" that they offer and you could play 9 pretty quick before you go to any of the parks.

Another thing you could look into is Disney has a "Sunrise 9" that they offer and you could play 9 pretty quick before you go to any of the parks.
That sunrise 9 is a pretty good deal

Waldorf
Tranquillo
Grand Cypress (New Course 1st if you like links)
Ritz Carlton

In that order.
Other popular choices that I am not a huge fan of.
Celebration
Orange County National (either course)
Championsgate (either course)

Back