Callaway XR Pro Irons Preview Thread

It happens for sure.

Nice to see your ball speed didn't suffer compared to the others though. That's often one of the first things to go.
When you don't have much to start with, there's not much to lose. :D

I'

First off, if you don't like a large clubhead, stay away from the XR. It's ginormous, especially when you just hit more "players' clubs.
TdAzK5j.jpg

I really just DO NOT get this and never will, I have played a LOT of GI irons too. They are not that big, at all.

I really just DO NOT get this and never will, I have played a LOT of GI irons too. They are not that big, at all.

I didn't think they were big by any means.

But I play Big Bertha's

I didn't think they were big by any means.

But I play Big Bertha's

Everyone here knows I vastly prefer a smaller profile, its my personal preference and comfort zone, but I had ZERO issues playing the standard XR.

Everyone here knows I vastly prefer a smaller profile, its my personal preference and comfort zone, but I had ZERO issues playing the standard XR.

and with all due respect, you are as big of a headcase out there as the next guy. Like I said, with all due respect hehe

and with all due respect, you are as big of a headcase out there as the next guy. Like I said, with all due respect hehe

At least I don't fall to paralysis by overanalysis.

I just switched to the XR Pro irons from forged Wilson FG V2's and the toe to heel measurements and grooves are exactly the same length. The XR's are at most .25" longer toe to heel so the really aren't much bigger, maybe just 10% more club face. I chose the Pros because of less offset and a thinner top line.

Callaway XR Pro Irons Preview Thread

All hearsay and rumors. I make it all up, duh. :alien:

What. A. Day.

Had a hell of a range session and then a round with these today, I'm hitting the irons incredibly well right now and the swing is in a good place, so that helps, but the misses (particularly low/thin) are hilarious with these. The loss is minimal on distance and the ball flight stays higher than I have seen in almost all other irons (but XR) there. Distances I'm seeing out of these has allowed me to throttle back and focus on a smoother swing, basically I'm not jumping on it every time now, this has put my accuracy way up and my GIR's as well, hit 13/18 GIR today on course in fact.

One thing that will change for me is the shafts, I hit the 680's really well, but I want a bit more weight, its just a personal preference thing, and moreso a mental thing for me right now. I'm EXTREMELY happy that I took the plunge and bought these.

The make it up part made me laugh out loud. As did Deans head case comment :)

The rest of the post and your subsequent ones made me more interested in BOTh models.

These are crazy good on mishits. I've only got 4 rounds under my belt with these but I'm still amazed at how forgiving they are. The extra length has been a huge help on hitting par 5's in two and on the 203 yard 15th hole over water at my home course. I haven't missed that green since putting these into play and yesterday I hit it to 3 feet with a towering 5 iron into a quartering wind. I still feel like I'm cheating with these. I can't wait until the 4 iron arrives to complete my set. All my hybrids are in permanent retirement.

These are crazy good on mishits. I've only got 4 rounds under my belt with these but I'm still amazed at how forgiving they are. The extra length has been a huge help on hitting par 5's in two and on the 203 yard 15th hole over water at my home course. I haven't missed that green since putting these into play and yesterday I hit it to 3 feet with a towering 5 iron into a quartering wind. I still feel like I'm cheating with these. I can't wait until the 4 iron arrives to complete my set. All my hybrids are in permanent retirement.
What's is your final bag make. Driver of course. Which Fairway woods and wedges did you pick to complete your 14 clubs. I also have the XR Pro 4-AW and have been playing up to 18 clubs including hybrids trying to figure out which one will stay and which ones will be in my garage. It us still quite early after only gaming these for a month since they came out.

But I am curious how others are completing their setup. The hybrids have definitely been moved to the bench for now.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

What's is your final bag make. Driver of course. Which Fairway woods and wedges did you pick to complete your 14 clubs. I also have the XR Pro 4-AW and have been playing up to 18 clubs including hybrids trying to figure out which one will stay and which ones will be in my garage. It us still quite early after only gaming these for a month since they came out.

But I am curious how others are completing their setup. The hybrids have definitely been moved to the bench for now.

The Cobra Fly Z+ is a bomber so maybe no new driver this spring although that would make it the first spring ever I didn't get a new driver. The 2 Deep is a fixture in my bag for I'm guessing at least 3 or 4 years. When my XR Pro 4 wood arrives my bag will be very traditional with putter, 4-LW, 2 fairway woods, and a driver. For me the XR 5 iron and 4 iron are straighter and easier to hit than any hybrid and for me they gap nicely at 205 and I'm guessing 220 yards.

I have driver, 5w set at 17°, apex utility 21 and 24, 5 to aw, 54 and 58 wedges and putter. Gaps flow nicely

This is an update to my first review. I got a chance to play 18 holes this past saturday and was super impressed with these irons.

Feel: I am playing the Callaway Chromesoft and combined with these irons they feel so good. Not forged but more like the I series of ping irons. There is definitely some spring to these irons. As for knowing if you mishit them or not there is definitely a noticeable difference between pured and offcenter hits.

Accuracy: This was my biggest concern in purchasing these irons was that there would be a lot of left in them but I think the lower spinning head removes a lot of the shot shaping ability. Can I still move them left to right and right to left but it would be difficult to move it more than 30 yards. I like this though as my preferred shot is straight to a five yard draw.

Distance: They are long. I actually didn't purchase them because I wanted to hit the ball further, I purchased because I need a higher launch and more forgiveness. My typical miss is low in the face and with apex pro model that led to a lower shot for a mid to low hitter. On the first hole I played this weekend I had a 169 yards and hit a 9 iron slightly low in the face it launch just slightly lower and still was towering in height stopped with within a few feet of the pitch mark and left me with a 4ft for birdie. It was a little downwind and that set the tone for the day. All in all these clubs are about 6-8 yards longer but carry wise with the longer irons are about 10-12 yards longer for me. I could hit my five iron before somewhere around 210-212 carry where as now I easily carry these 220-230. This is a game changer for me here in Colorado as I need the higher flight with the elevated greens to get the ball to stop.

Forgiveness: This is where the club truly shines to me. I have not got a chance to play much in the last four months just opened a new business and time seems to be limited and a baby on the way. So I needed a club that would allow to not practice and get away with mishits. I had thought of going with g30's and i25's but the sole grinds are much to big for me and i just hit tons of thin shots with the sole bouncing. I looked at the rsi2's and really liked them but didn't see a huge improvement on mishits liked i did with these. The apex pros were really good irons but these irons for me are outstanding. I may only lose 5 or 6 yards for mishits a half inch to inch on the toe. Wow!!!!

Notes: I tested this club extensively before buying and really hated it with the stock shaft for me. I actually lost distance with every shaft I tried at first(stock, pxi, project x graphite, dgs300, kbs tour 120) when I put the C-taper lites in there ohh boy. I haven't kept a set of irons for more than a season for the last five years. Crazy to say but I think these will be in the bag for a long time to come.

By the way one of my best rounds since I been here in Colorado I shot 71 at Common Ground golf course from the tips. Hit the first 11 greens and was 4 under through 11. The wheels kind of fell off on the back as I got tired but was so happy with my iron play. Driver now that is a different story. The back nine is really long especially the five holes.
Commonground Golf Course Scorecard

TeesParRatingSlopeYardage
Black7173.01297229
Gold7170.31226721
White7168.71156365

Front
Black

Men's HDCP
Men's Par

Back
Black

Men's HDCP
Men's Par

I am interested in hitting these and looking to switch to graphite shafts, due to impact on joints. I am looking for any feedback on the Recoils shafts any commets will help. Thanks….

I may have to try and hit these this weekend when I am back in Dallas.

I purchased the recoil 460 F4 Stiff.

Same reason. Joint pain. Super long and very precise with the XR Pro.

Even when I switch back and forth between my steel X2 HOT with the speed step 80 stiff shaft to compare clubs. I really can't tell the difference. Except for the joint pain from impact.

Try them. Get fitted and enjoy. Your wrist and elbows with thank you later.

I purchased the recoil 460 F4 Stiff.

Same reason. Joint pain. Super long and very precise with the XR Pro.

Even when I switch back and forth between my steel X2 HOT with the speed step 80 stiff shaft to compare clubs. I really can't tell the difference. Except for the joint pain from impact.

Try them. Get fitted and enjoy. Your wrist and elbows with thank you later.

Thanks for the reply. Will be going to try them in that shaft and possibly also in the Recoil 680, since it has a heavier weight to it than the Recoil 460. Do you find the ball flight to be higher with these shafts?

Thanks for the reply. Will be going to try them in that shaft and possibly also in the Recoil 680, since it has a heavier weight to it than the Recoil 460. Do you find the ball flight to be higher with these shafts?
I have not had any issues with ballooning. But I was also fit on a launch monitor to make sure my spin rates were in check. For example the regular F3 Recoil 460 did have the tendency to balloon when I went after it, producing an unacceptably high back spin rate. 9-10 k with a 6 iron.

A lot of the results are attributed to the club design which produces low spin rates and high launches. So it is a perfect combo, IMHO with the Recoil Graphite Shafts.

Again I can't stress enough the need to get fitted properly to optimize your results.

By customizing the club to you and your swing you won't have to modify your swing to match the shaft and club.

Instead of working on swing mechanics I have been focusing on hitting target. With the ball jumping off these super hot 360 face cups I have been able to groove a nice smooth swing.

I never imagined practicing at the local range and taking aim at the 150 yard target green with a pitching wedge or a 9 iron.

Hum. Should I hit the front or back of the green.

Last edited:
That's a nice problem… Going to get some time on the lauch monitor tonight, will be interesting to see the numbers.. Thanks again for the comments...

Yeah, I'm pretty certain to be joining the ranks of XR Pro users.

Yeah, I'm pretty certain to be joining the ranks of XR Pro users.

What didn't you like about the nike pro combos that made you sell them and want to get the XR pros instead?

What didn't you like about the nike pro combos that made you sell them and want to get the XR pros instead?
A few reasons. Some are better than others.

1) I really really like the VPCs, but after going head to head, the XR Pros are longer and more forgiving. I bought the VPCs before hitting everything that was coming out, I hate when I do that.

2) The rave reviews from golfers I respect brought these to my interest. and they are right. it's hard to ignore so much objective and subjective praise.

3) they will look better with the rest of the Callaway clubs in my bag. I know that doesn't or shouldn't matter because the scorecard doesn't care about logos on clubs. But I do, it matters to me, I care about that, and I admit it.

The Vapors are a really good set of irons. I could probably have gamed them just fine. But I don't want to second guess myself by not gaming the best set of irons I can.

A few reasons. Some are better than others.

1) I really really like the VPCs, but after going head to head, the XR Pros are longer and more forgiving. I bought the VPCs before hitting everything that was coming out, I hate when I do that.

2) The rave reviews from golfers I respect brought these to my interest. and they are right. it's hard to ignore so much objective and subjective praise.

3) they will look better with the rest of the Callaway clubs in my bag. I know that doesn't or shouldn't matter because the scorecard doesn't care about logos on clubs. But I do, it matters to me, I care about that, and I admit it.

The Vapors are a really good set of irons. I could probably have gamed them just fine. But I don't want to second guess myself by not gaming the best set of irons I can.
I hear yeah! I just went through the same thing....

X2 HOT TT Speed Step 5-PW Sept. Big Bertha Recoil 460 F4 6-PW Nov. XR Pro Recoil 460 F4 4-AW Feb.

Each time the ball went longer, straighter and more forgiving.

No wonder Callaway Stock keep climbing up in value. I keep half of their assembly line running just to keep up with my demand.

I may have to try and hit these this weekend when I am back in Dallas.

You should try them, form your own opinion. Not sure how these irons will be perceived after the honeymoon phase.

Back