BigLeftyinAZ

Reaction score
SCHOOL -- 1957 vs. 2009

Scenario :
Jack goes rabbit shooting before school, pulls into school parking lot with rifle in gun rack.

1957 - Vice Principal comes over, looks at Jack's rifle, goes to his car and gets his rifle & chats with Jack about guns.

2009 - School goes into lock down, Tactical Responce called, Jack hauled off to jail and never sees his ute or gun again..
Counsellors called in for traumatized students and teachers.

Scenario:
Johnny and Mark get into a fistfight after school.

1957 - Crowd gathers. Mark wins. Johnny and Mark shake hands and end up buddies.

2009 - Police called, arrests Johnny and Mark.
Charge them with assault, both expelled even though Johnny started it.
Both children go to anger management programs for 3 months.
School board hold meeting to impliment bullying prevention programs

Scenario:
Robbie won't be still in class, disrupts other students.

1957 - Robbie sent to office and given 6 of the best by the Principal.
Returns to class, sits still and does not disrupt class again.

2009 - Robbie given huge doses of Ritalin. Becomes a zombie.
Tested for ADD. Robbie's parents get fortnightly disability payments and School
gets extra funding from state because Robbie has a disability.

Scenario :
Billy breaks a window in his neighbor's car and his Dad gives him a whipping with his belt.

1957 - Billy is more careful next time, grows up normal, goes to Uni, and becomes a successful businessman.

2009 - Billy's dad is arrested for child abuse. Billy removed to foster care and joins a gang.
State psychologist tells Billy's sister that she remembers being abused herself and their dad goes to prison.

Scenario :
Mark gets a headache and takes some aspirin to school.

1957 - Mark gets glass of water from Principal to take aspirin with.

2009 - Police called, Mark expelled from school for drug violations.
Car searched for drugs and weapons.

Scenario :
Pedro fails high school English.

1957 - Pedro goes to summer school, passes English and goes to Uni.

2009 - Pedro's cause is taken up by state.

Newspaper articles appear nationally explaining that teaching English as a requirement for graduation is racist.
AFRE files class action lawsuit against state school system and Pedro's English teacher.
English banned from core curriculum.
Pedro given diploma anyway but ends up mowing lawns for a living because he cannot speak English.

Scenario :
Johnny takes apart leftover firecrackers from Cracker night, puts them in a model airplane paint bottle, blows up a bullant nest.

1957 - Ants die.

2009- Tactical Responce , Federal Police & Anti-terrorism Squad called.
Johnny charged with domestic terrorism, Federal Police investigate parents, siblings removed from home, computers confiscated.
Johnny's Dad goes on a terror watch list and is never allowed to fly again.

Scenario :
Johnny falls while running during recess and scrapes his knee. He is found crying by his teacher, Mary.
Mary hugs him to comfort him.

1957 - In a short time, Johnny feels better and goes on playing.

2009 - Mary is accused of being a sexual predator and loses her job.
She faces 3 years in Prison.
Johnny undergoes 5 years of therapy.

I was just having the same basic conversation with a buddy. I wish it was 1957 again because this world has become toooooooooo tolerant and uses it as a crutch. Nothing wrong with good ol' fashion discipline!

I'd like to be able to say we are over reacting when I see these schools/ governmental agency's go off the deep end, but look at the link below and you will see why they have to. Yes, you could say it's how we brought up our kids, others will say it's simply a progression of live, who really know's.

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0777958.html

Simple truth is, their are serious problems out there with many kids. I want mine protected! Columbine was targeted for 500 people killed and the school blown up. Thank goodness they were stopped way short.

I agree. People are WAY too sensative now. The world is not a place of marshmallows and fluffy bunnies. Bad things happen. If you can not adapt and overcome these things than you shouldn't succede. Now they have to make rules so that the strong willed people get punished so that the 'weaker' can continue to live happy 'innocent' lives.

I am waiting for the day that someone gets charged for something excellent like; "Man sued for emotional stress to a server for not leaving a tip after catastrophic dining experience".

SCHOOL -- 1957 vs. 2009

Scenario :
Billy breaks a window in his neighbor's car and his Dad gives him a whipping with his belt.

1957 - Turns out the apple didn't fall far from the tree. Billy grows up and beats his children and wife. His wife finally had enough and shoots Billy. The kids grow up without parents and beat their own children. The cycle goes on.

1957 - Turns out the apple didn't fall far from the tree. Billy grows up and beats his children and wife. His wife finally had enough and shoots Billy. The kids grow up without parents and beat their own children. The cycle goes on.

Thank you.

We can all look back at elementary school and recognize the kids with learning disabilities that weren't diagnosed, the bullies who were tolerated because boys will be boys, etc. Many of them are troubled adults with records.

1957-Elvis Presley and Buddy Holly and the Crickets top the Billboard charts.

2009-Who cares? It's been all down hill since those English punks with the long hair came over in the 1960s.

Filthy hippies.

Kevin

"TheDue" was born in 1959, lol. I can't remember much earlier than the mid to late 60's, but at 7 or 8 years old we stayed outside all day long. Mom's started yelling just after dark for their kids to come in. We would ride our bikes behind the mosquito spraying trucks (very cool fog that comes out. Can't see a thing in there), skinny dipped in the lake behind our house daily (bath time), saved our glass pop bottles for candy money and said yes SIR or no SIR.

Yep, times have changed!

Last edited:
These are...the good old days...

When I was a kid if you wanted to change the channel on the TV you had to get up and walk across the room to do it. My pops said the he had to walk 9 miles to school everyday in the snow. Of course he was late more often than not. Nope. These are the good old days.

These are...the good old days...

I agree! I never said those day's were better, just "changed". It's a different world out there, but I know my Grand kids will enjoy it and make it better yet.

I can walk over to my refrigerator and stick my glass through this little recess in the door and ice falls into my glass. Whoa...how cool is that.

Great post Lefty. It's crazy how if you are attacked and defend yourself by punching the guy, you are brought into the situation and possibly facing assault and criminal charges they make you just as guilty as the attacker. That is the one law that irks me the most.

Some of these are a bit exaggerated but I get your point.

The thing that gets me is Little League. When we played somebody won and somebody lost, now the kids play and they don't even keep score. The parents say that in this format "everyone is a winner". What!?! I cannot understand that, life is not like that at all.

The thing that gets me is Little League. When we played somebody won and somebody lost, now the kids play and they don't even keep score. The parents say that in this format "everyone is a winner". What!?! I cannot understand that, life is not like that at all.

What? I've never been to a game where a score wasn't kept.Are you speaking of the physically challenged kids?

No. I was having dinner with a neighbor and he told me his kids don't keep score. Then as we were talking another person next to us said their league did the same thing. I think it is new trend for younger kids. He did mention that when he turns 9 he goes into another division where they do keep score.

What? I've never been to a game where a score wasn't kept.Are you speaking of the physically challenged kids?

No. I was having dinner with a neighbor and he told me his kids don't keep score. Then as we were talking another person next to us said their league did the same thing. I think it is new trend for younger kids. He did mention that when he turns 9 he goes into another division where they do keep score.

I've seen leagues like that too. Definitely for the younger kids. The thing is, the kids know whether they won or lost, keeping score or not, especially if they are really good or really bad! So keep score!

I've seen leagues like that too. Definitely for the younger kids. The thing is, the kids know whether they won or lost, keeping score or not, especially if they are really good or really bad! So keep score!

The kids absolutely know the score, even if the parents don't. BTDT.

Back